• BPN Newsletter 4, 29 February 2016

BPN Newsletter 4, 29 February 2016

• Image of the Year 2015
      • Our Sponsor
      • Q&A and BPN Support
      • Unsubscribe

Image of the Year 2015

Work on selecting the 2015 Image of the Year (IOTY) is done. The overall winner is "Tug of War" by David Salem. This image was selected by the jury as 'Avian' category winner. Congratulations David !

Commented by Arash Hazeghi: amazing interaction Dave, most folks don't realize what it takes to get a frame like this, you had really fast reflexes. congrats on your BBC nomination and best luck!

Spectacular

The following stunning images were selected as winners in the other categories:

• Upside Down!, by Sanjeev Aurangabadka in Wildlife

Commented by Jonathan Ashton: Outstanding quality, a beautiful composition and pose. My eyes are drawn to the leopard and then temporarily to the flies but then back to the leopard. In most images roving eyes are a no no but in this it reflects the powerful content and composition.
      • Pearls of Morning Dew, by Wendy Kates in Out-Of-The-Box

Commented by Nancy Bell: Super creative and very well done! Love how you created such an intricate and symmetrical design. The fine details and small size of the center diamond shape contrasts and holds together all the other strings of pearls so well. I also like the two larger areas of black space, it keeps all the other stands and dew drops from being overwhelming and helps create those graceful swooping curves. B&W is perfect for this.
      • Mantis (Empusa fasciata) , by Miroslav Maric in Macro and Flora

Fascinating how this Mantis blends in with the plant and seems to be a part of it. Completed with the stunning background this image deserves the title of best Macro 2015.
      • Frozen, by Dan Kearl in Landscapes and Cities

Lovely ice formations by chilling winter winds. Strongly contrasted by the wild flowing, soft waterfall, giving a sense of how the ice around the waterfall was formed.
      • Spring Hoopoe, by Kalin Botev in Eager to Learn

Commented by David Salem: Wow! This is awesome!! I love the whole frame. I chased Hoopoes around when I was on vacation in Egypt but didn't get any great flight images. A killer Incoming pose with his wings back, his crest up, his feet showing, a colorful BG and a nice big bug in his beak!! And It's nice and sharp!! Did I say Wow! A shot you couldn't have dreamt the night before :) Well done.

All of the category winners will receive a one year subscription voucher. Congratulations everyone !
      Note to the winners: your free one year subscription is applied to your BPN expiration the date has been extended by one year.

Our Sponsor

Our main sponsor is B&H Photo Video. Support our site by clicking on the link below. Using the BPN affiliate link will not cost you a penny but will be greatly appreciated.

Q&A and BPN Support

In case of user, posting or other BPN problems, contact me on my BPN email address: peterkes@birdphotographers.net.

Subscription and payment problems: staffbaa@att.net.

Unsubscribe

Should you want to unsubscribe from this newletter, please log in to your account and go to:

• Settings (top right)
      • General Settings (left sidebar)
      • Find: Messaging & Notification
      • untick the mail notification for "Receive Email from Administrators"

best,
      artie & peter
      This article was originally published in forum thread: BPN Newsletter 4, 29 February 2016 started by Peter Kes View original post
    • Most Recent Threads

John Mack

Whitetail Buck

Thread Starter: John Mack

Whitetail buck with a unique rack. Image adjustments in Lightroom.

Hand held, Full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIII
      Sigma 150-600

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 11:05 AM Go to last post
      Isaac Grant

Bathing Dunlin

Thread Starter: Isaac Grant

This is really a theme that I could have posted 20 shots a day for as I have so many shorebird images that I never posted. This Dunlin was photographed

Last Post By: Isaac Grant Today, 10:48 AM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Blue tit

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

Taken from back garden hide, Tripod head clamped, Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II
      Auto ISO 800 1/1600 sec f8

Had to resort to a little

Last Post By: Isaac Grant Today, 10:50 AM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Savannah Sparrow

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I captured this image while slowly driving along Joe Overstreet Road in Kenansville, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank

Last Post By: Joseph Przybyla Today, 06:19 AM Go to last post
      greg cowle

sundown and plover

Thread Starter: greg cowle

Carmel beach this evening, saw these little plovers running around (sure someone can easily ID for me), and was hoping for some nice evening light on

Last Post By: greg cowle Today, 12:53 AM Go to last post
      Glenn Pure

Little Corella

Thread Starter: Glenn Pure

One of the cockatoo family of birds. This one was coming in to a local dam for a last drink near sunset. Background was in shadow helping the bird

Last Post By: greg cowle Today, 12:57 AM Go to last post
      Daniel Cadieux

Grumpy Eastern Screech-Owl.

Thread Starter: Daniel Cadieux

This locally well known individual is normally a relaxed fella, but on this particular morning it had a "do not disturb" type of allure to it.

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Yesterday, 10:27 PM Go to last post
      William Dickson

Red Grouse (a different pose)

Thread Starter: William Dickson

Canon 1DX
      f/4 500mm with 1.4
      f/7.1
      1/1600
      ISO 1250

Not the cleanest of images, but I thought this worked. The bird

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Yesterday, 10:23 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

Turkey

Thread Starter: John Mack

Found some images of turkeys i made, none are great. This is probably the best one. Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate.

Hand held,

Last Post By: Arthur Morris Yesterday, 03:51 PM Go to last post
      Arthur Morris

The 7th Time was the Charm ...

Thread Starter: Arthur Morris

Hudsonian Godwit, worn juvenile plumage

This image was created on the afternoon of Tuesday, November 21 at Heckscher State Park, Long Island,

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Yesterday, 10:15 PM Go to last post
      Abhijit Deshpande

Indian ( Gangetic) fresh water crocodile

Thread Starter: Abhijit Deshpande

Gangetic fresh water crocodile, Juvenile in water
      Canon EOS 7D , 500 f/4,@ f/5, i/1600, ISO 160, Matrix metering, HH, 20 crop from original. PS

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 10:47 AM Go to last post
      Isaac Grant

Pectoral Sandpiper

Thread Starter: Isaac Grant

Here is another photo of a Pectoral Sandpiper photographed on the East Pond of Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge from last month while with Arthur Morris. We

Last Post By: sasan nejadi Today, 01:58 AM Go to last post
      Glenn Pure

Dribbling giraffe

A portrait of a giraffe, this time. I didn't notice the small stand of saliva dropping from the mouth until I processed this. I don't know if giraffes

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 10:47 AM Go to last post
      Glenn Pure

Royal Spoonbill

Taken shortly after sunrise on a misty, cool autumn morning. I liked the warm, directional light and the mist behind the bird which help it stand

Last Post By: William Dickson Yesterday, 04:11 PM Go to last post
      greg cowle

frisky young elephant

Thread Starter: greg cowle

Young elephant coming up the hill, doing a good shake of the head. I like action in my photos, so like the extended ear, the dirt coming from the trunk,

Last Post By: greg cowle Today, 01:23 PM Go to last post
    Web Analytics