• EOS-5D Mark III and EOS-1D X Custom Cases for Photographing Birds in Flight - by Arthur Morris

This Osprey flight image was created with the hand held Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS II lens, the 1.4X III teleconverter, and the Canon EOS-5D Mark III. ISO 400. Evaluative metering at zero in soft light: 1/2000 sec. at f/4 in Manual mode. Central Sensor Surround/AI Servo Rear Focus AF active at the moment of exposure. Click here if you missed the Rear Focus Tutorial.

EOS-5D Mark III Custom Case for Photographing Birds in Flight

Below is a free excerpt from the EOS-5D Mark III User’s Guide. The 5D MIII UG is a 53 page PDF that is sent via e-mail. In the guide, I share everything that I have learned about this great camera including all of my menu and custom function settings, my preferred AF Area Selection Modes (and how and when to use them), selecting AF sensors, everything else that I learned about the 5D III’s great new AF system, and detailed instructions on how best to utilize the in-camera HDR and Multiple Exposure features. Enjoy.

On "AF1: AF config. Tool,” the first purple menu (with the camera set to P, Tv, Av, or M):

On the surface the AF configuration tool might seem to be a boon for nature photography and for bird photographers in particular and especially for those who photograph birds in flight on a regular basis. There are two factors, however, that work against that assumption. Number 1: every situation where you are photographing moving subjects such as birds in flight is different. There is simply no way to replicate a given situation and determine if one of the 6 Cases is better than the others for a given situation. That said I have experimented with Case 1 and with Cases 4, 5, and 6 and been very happy with the sharpness of my birds in flight images. Number 2: if you read the descriptions of the three parameters in the camera body instruction manual carefully—beginning at the top of page 89, you may wish to come up with a custom setting of your own. While preparing this guide that is exactly what I did (after reading the instructions for Changing Cases’ Parameter Settings on page 93). In order to create a custom setting of your own, you must over-ride one of the existing Cases. As Case 3 (Instantly focus on subjects suddenly entering AF points) seems the least useful to me for bird photography, I chose to change the three parameters there and create what I think might be best for most bird photography, especially for flight photography.

Here is how and what I did. Scrolled with the Thumb Wheel to Case 3. Pressed the Rate button on the back left side of the camera. Pressed the Set button. Used the Thumb Wheel to set the Tracking Sensitivity to the far left setting (-2/locked on) and hit the Set button. Scrolled to Accl./decel. Tracking, hit the set button, used the Thumb Wheel to set this one to the far right value: 2, and hit Set again. Then I did the same with the AF pt auto switching setting also setting it to the far right value: 2, and hitting Set again. When done, I pressed the Rate button to exit.

When you exit to Case 3 your new settings: -2, 2, and 2 will be shown by the white indicators and the default settings for Case 3 will be shown by grey indicators. If you wish to reset to the defaults scroll to Case 3, hit the Rate button, and then hit the garbage can button on the bottom left rear back of the camera.

This Snowy Egret flight image was created with the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II lens, the 2XIII teleconverter (hand held at 335mm), and the Canon EOS-5D Mark III. ISO 400. Evaluative metering -1/3 stop: 1/3200 sec. at f/5.6 in Manual mode. Central Sensor Surround/AI Servo Rear Focus AF active at the moment of exposure. Click here if you missed the Rear Focus Tutorial.

Why?

Here’s why I chose the three settings that I did for photographing birds in flight with my custom settings, the old Case 3:

Tracking sensitivity

I have always felt that the left-most setting (-2, locked on) here is best for birds in flight as the camera will continue focusing on the subject even if an obstacle enters the active AF points or if the active sensor falls off the subject due to operator error. This one has always seemed to be a no-brainer to me yet others prefer either one of the next two more responsive settings, -1 or neutral.

Acceleration/deceleration tracking

This one seems to be another no-brainer to me; with this set to 2, the system continues to focus on the subject if the subject’s speed changes dramatically. With a subject moving towards the camera the system is less prone to focus beyond the subject. And if the subject stops suddenly, the camera is less prone to focus in front of it. As I said, this is another bird photography no-brainer.

AF point auto switching

Well, let’s go for three for three in the no-brainer department; setting this one to 2 allows the camera to switch AF points more quickly if the subject moves dramatically left or right or up or down. Note: this setting has no effect unless you are using 61-point or Zone AF.

I set Case 3 (with my custom settings: -2, 2, 2) for pretty much all of my flight and action photography.

Note: AF point auto switching settings will have no effect when you are in either Single Point or Spot AF.

This image of a braking Sandhill Crane was created with the tripod-mounted Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Autofocus lens and the Canon EOS-1D X digital SLR . ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 stop off the low sky: 1/1250 sec. at f/7.1 in Manual mode. Central sensor/AI Servo Surround/Rear Focus AF active at the moment of exposure. Click here if you missed the Rear Focus Tutorial.

Click here for more great 1DX Sandhill Crane flight images and to answer the question, “Is the 1D X unfair to flying cranes?”

EOS-1D X Custom Case for Photographing Birds in Flight

Below is a second free excerpt, this one from the EOS-1D X Autofocus Guide (1D X AF Guide). In this guide, I share everything that I have learned about the killer AF system in my all-time favorite camera body, the Canon EOS-1D X. But for iTR AF, the 1D X has the same great autofocus system that was introduced with the 5D Mark III. For bird photographers the 1D X is like a 5D III on steroids. The higher voltage battery drives AF faster and the 12 fps that stays mighty close to that in AI Servo AF will find you creating images, behaviors, and wing positions that the human eye simply cannot see and that the human mind cannot imagine. The 60-page eBook (sent as a PDF) includes 19 screen captures, my preferred AF Area Selection Modes (and how and when to use them), selecting AF sensors, and detailed instructions on how (and why) to set and use all AF-related buttons, dials, wheels, Custom functions and Menu Items.

On "AF1: AF config. Tool,” the first purple menu (with the camera set to P, Tv, Av, or M):

On the surface the AF configuration tool might seem to be a boon for nature photography and for bird photographers in particular and especially for those who photograph birds in flight on a regular basis. There are two factors, however, that work against that assumption. First: every situation where you are photographing moving subjects such as birds in flight is different. There is simply no way to replicate a given situation and determine if one of the 6 Cases is better than the others for a given situation. That said I have experimented with Case 1 and with Cases 4, 5, and 6 and been very happy with the sharpness of my birds in flight images. Second: if you read the descriptions of the three parameters in the instruction manual—on pages 87-89—carefully you may wish to come up with a custom setting of your own. While preparing this guide that is exactly what I did (after reading the instructions for Changing Cases’ Parameter Settings on page 90). Unfortunately you cannot set up a custom setting of your own; as Case 3 (Instantly focus on subjects suddenly entering AF points) seems the least useful to me for bird photography I chose to change the three parameters there and create what I think might be best for bird photography.

Here is how to do what I did. Scroll with the Thumb Wheel to Case 3. Press the Protect/Voice memo button, the fourth button on the right in the row of four below the rear LCD on the back of the camera. It is the one to the right of the garbage can button. Once you press the Protect/Voice memo button the first parameter, Tracking Sensitivity, will be highlighted in purple. Now press the Set button. Use the Thumb Wheel to set the Tracking Sensitivity to the far left setting (-2/locked on) and then hit the Set button. Note: if you hit the INFO button when the Tracking sensitivity slider or one of the other two sliders) is visible, a detailed tutorial will pop up; scroll down with the Thumb Wheel to read the whole thing.

Next, scroll to Accl./decel. tracking with the Thumb Wheel. Set this one to the far right value: 2. Do the same thing with the AF pt auto switching setting also setting it to the far right value: 2. Then press the Protect/Voice memo button to exit. You can also half-press the shutter button to exit.

When you exit to Case 3 your new settings: -2, 2, and 2 will be shown by the white indicators and the default settings for Case 3 will be shown by grey indicators. If you wish to reset to the defaults scroll to Case 3, hit the Protect/Voice memo button, and then hit the garbage can button on the bottom left rear back of the camera.

This winter plumage Caspian Tern was photographed while coming in for a landing at Fort DeSoto with the hand held Canon 500mm f/4L EF IS II lens, the Canon 1.4x EF teleconverter III, and the Canon EOS-1D X. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop off the sky: 1/1600 sec. at f/7.1 in Manual mode.

Why?

Here’s why I chose the three settings that I did for photographing birds in flight with my custom settings, the old Case 3:

Tracking sensitivity

I have always felt that the left-most setting here (-2, locked on) is best for birds in flight as the camera will continue focusing on the subject even if an obstacle enters the active AF points or if the active sensor falls off the subject due to human error. This one has always seemed to be a no-brainer to me yet others prefer either one of the next two more responsive settings, -1 or neutral.

Acceleration/deceleration tracking

This one seems to be another no-brainer to me; with this set to 2, the system continues to focus on the subject if the subject’s speed changes dramatically. With a subject moving towards the camera the system is less prone to focus beyond the subject. And if the subject stops suddenly, the camera is less prone to focus in front of it. As I said, this is another bird photography no-brainer.

AF point auto switching

Well, let’s go for three for three in the no-brainer department; setting this one to 2 allows the camera to switch AF points more quickly if the subject moves dramatically left or right or up or down. Note: this setting has no effect unless you are using 61-point or Zone AF.

I set Case 3 (with my custom settings: -2, 2, 2) for pretty much all of my flight and action photography.

Arthur Morris/BIRDS AS ART

Learn more about Arthur Morris and bird photography on the BIRDS AS ART Blog (subscribe here) and in BIRDS AS ART free Online Bulletins (subscribe here). Be sure also to visit the BAA website and the BAA Online Store—we sell only what I use based on 28 years of experience. We teach you what’s best and how to use it, and we will never sell you junk.
    • Most Recent Threads

Andreas Liedmann

Kingfisher II

Thread Starter: Andreas Liedmann

Hi all ...
      captured this image last year in January at a commercial setup . I do like the stare the female gave me ... albeit DOF falls short .

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann Today, 03:35 AM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Red Squirrel Jump III

Hi all ... another attempt from yesterday .
      The Squirrel gave a good show , but I struggled to get it captured .
      Struggling to manage the

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann Today, 02:38 AM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus collybita)

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

I went for a walk and there were quite a few migrant Chiffchaffs calling. The image is cropped.

OM-1 OM 150-400mm F4.5 TC
      Focal Length

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton Yesterday, 09:39 AM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Kamtchatka Brown Bear ( M ) XXI

Hi folks ... as the Squirrels have not been cooperating today , I go for another Bear .
      Poor Salmon ... being caught and then taken around to a

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann 03-26-2024, 01:48 PM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Nuthatch

Hi folks .. a simple Nuthatch from a couple of weeks ago
      Placed this perch close to a public feeder ... and waited to hopefully landing some birds

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton Yesterday, 09:35 AM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Red Squirrel Jump II

Hi folks ... here is another one from this morning with tricky lighting
      IQ has somewhat suffered , due to lower SS and focus was not bang

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann Today, 02:28 AM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Reed bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

Reed bunting image captured from a woodland hide.....on a gloomy day.

OM-1, OLYMPUS M.150-400mm F4.5
      Focal Length (35 mm conversion)

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton 03-26-2024, 01:47 PM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Kingfisher

Hi folks ...
      time to post a KF from my side .
      Image captured at a commercial setup , which is only available in winter .
      Went there

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann 03-26-2024, 12:53 PM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Red Squirrel Jump

Hi all ... I thought it is now time for a change
      Going from big Bears to tiny Squirrels .
      I had the idea of jumping Squirrels for a

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann Today, 02:26 AM Go to last post
    Web Analytics