• Featured Articles RSS Feed

Published on 10-13-2012 01:32 PM
      Article Preview

This is the assembled Lens Align Mark II. Thanks to Michael Tapes for the image.

Why Micro-adjust?

It’s simple. While the images made with most rigs are sharp, in many cases, they will be that much sharper with more fine detail once a given camera body/lens or camera body/TC/lens combination has been properly micro-adjusted. While some of my rigs are spot on, others have needed front- or back-focusing corrections as high as +/- 12 units.

The Lens Align Mk II; Micro-adjusting Magic

Ever since the introduction of digital camera bodies that feature micro-adjustments for individual lenses, folks--including me--have been searching for a quick, easy way to make those micro-adjustments. When I was working on the 7D and the Mark IV User's Guides, I worked hard on developing a make-it-yourself cardboard rig that was a big improvement on the original version. But in reality, it did not offer the needed precision. And in addition to the extremely low cost, the rig took up lots of space--heck, it was huge, and using it was tedious.
      Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...
      by Published on 08-06-2012 07:27 AM

This post is derived from my web article: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/iso

What is ISO on a digital camera?

Reading manufacturer literature, review sites, and online discussions, one is led to believe that ISO changes sensitivity, and changes exposure. These ideas are both incorrect.

Myth #1: ISO changes sensitivity. False! Digital cameras have only one sensitivity, given by the quantum efficiency of the sensor, and the transmission of the optics and filters over the sensor. ISO is simply a post-sensor gain applied to the signal from the sensor.

Myth #2: ISO changes exposure. False! When you change ISO on a digital camera, two things are changed ...

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    • Most Recent Threads

kevin Hice

Western Grebe with chick

Thread Starter: kevin Hice

Grebe shot on lake in Nd.Have not seen many Western Grebes with chicks this year. Lots of grebes no chicks. Actually was driving by when I spotted this

Last Post By: kevin Hice Today, 12:53 PM Go to last post
      Aditya Sridhar

Black-Headed Gull

Thread Starter: Aditya Sridhar

Hello!

I've been lurking around the Avian forum for the past few years, admiring the high level of skill and professionalism on display.

Last Post By: kevin Hice Today, 01:00 PM Go to last post
      Ravi Hirekatur

Shooting Star

Thread Starter: Ravi Hirekatur

Canon 7DII + 180/3.5 + tripod
      f/11, 1/125, ISO 800
      Canon DPP4, PSCC, Nik Detail extractor, 90% of original frame

Appreciate comments

Last Post By: Ravi Hirekatur Today, 11:12 AM Go to last post
      Bill Dix

Rock Ptarmigan male

Thread Starter: Bill Dix

Geoffrey spotted the female as we drove along the rough track of the Langanes Peninsula. We grabbed our gear and very soon spotted the male, slowly working

Last Post By: kevin Hice Today, 01:07 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

Damselfly

Thread Starter: John Mack

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 6/23/19 at 6:26AM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Camera on sticks triggered with

Last Post By: Ravi Hirekatur Today, 10:58 AM Go to last post
      John Mack

White-tail fawn

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 7/12/19 at 6:49PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Full frame.

Last Post By: Gabriela Plesea Today, 10:27 AM Go to last post
      John Mack

American Oystercatcher

This image was created at Nickerson Beach Park on 6/29/19 at 6:35AM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Last Post By: Bill Dix Today, 09:36 AM Go to last post
      Tim Foltz

Forster's Tern

Thread Starter: Tim Foltz

Canon 1DX • 840mm • 1/2500 • f/8 • ISO 640 • handheld • manual

Sad 2019 at the wetlands, the tern populations are at an all time low bordering

Last Post By: kevin Hice Today, 01:04 PM Go to last post
      Dorian Anderson

Many-striped Canastero - Colombia

Thread Starter: Dorian Anderson

This high-elevation furnarid inhabits Andean grasslands and páramo from Colombia to Central Peru. I encountered this individual at 13,000 feet in Los

Last Post By: Bill Dix Today, 09:44 AM Go to last post
      Moe Richard

Theme Clam Gull

Thread Starter: Moe Richard

This is an oldie taken in 2005 with a D2X.
      I believe it is a Glaucaus Winged Gull as these are most common in my area.
      I removed the aqua

Last Post By: Moe Richard Today, 01:48 PM Go to last post
      Krishna Prasad kotti

Common Tern Chick

Thread Starter: Krishna Prasad kotti

I made this image in Nickerson Beach, New York

Camera Settings:-
      ===============
      Nikon D500 600 f/4 + 1.4x TCIII

Last Post By: Bill Dix Today, 09:39 AM Go to last post
      kevin Hice

Female red Head

Thread Starter: kevin Hice

Shot in local slough in Nd. This is the second photo that I have processed and I am seeing some color noise. If any one can add some suggestions not

Last Post By: John Mack Yesterday, 08:49 PM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Comma ( Polygonia c-album)

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

Hand held, taken inthe field at the back of my house, unfortunately there was a breeze and no matter what I couldn't get the whole wing in focus.

Last Post By: Ravi Hirekatur Today, 11:02 AM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Sandwich tern (Thalasseus sandvicensis)

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

Hand held, taken at Cemlyn Bay,Anglesey
      Image input equipment model : E-M1X
      Lens focal length : 300 mm
      Focal length in 35 mm film :

Last Post By: Steve Kaluski Today, 07:44 AM Go to last post
      Daniel Cadieux

Landscape Image of the Month for January 2019: Krishna Prasad kotti - Ice in Utah Lake

Thread Starter: Daniel Cadieux

Congratulations Krishna!

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...e-in-Utah-Lake

Last Post By: Mitch Carucci Yesterday, 12:08 PM Go to last post
    Web Analytics