• Featured Articles RSS Feed

Published on 10-13-2012 01:32 PM
      Article Preview

This is the assembled Lens Align Mark II. Thanks to Michael Tapes for the image.

Why Micro-adjust?

It’s simple. While the images made with most rigs are sharp, in many cases, they will be that much sharper with more fine detail once a given camera body/lens or camera body/TC/lens combination has been properly micro-adjusted. While some of my rigs are spot on, others have needed front- or back-focusing corrections as high as +/- 12 units.

The Lens Align Mk II; Micro-adjusting Magic

Ever since the introduction of digital camera bodies that feature micro-adjustments for individual lenses, folks--including me--have been searching for a quick, easy way to make those micro-adjustments. When I was working on the 7D and the Mark IV User's Guides, I worked hard on developing a make-it-yourself cardboard rig that was a big improvement on the original version. But in reality, it did not offer the needed precision. And in addition to the extremely low cost, the rig took up lots of space--heck, it was huge, and using it was tedious.
      Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...
      by Published on 08-06-2012 07:27 AM

This post is derived from my web article: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/iso

What is ISO on a digital camera?

Reading manufacturer literature, review sites, and online discussions, one is led to believe that ISO changes sensitivity, and changes exposure. These ideas are both incorrect.

Myth #1: ISO changes sensitivity. False! Digital cameras have only one sensitivity, given by the quantum efficiency of the sensor, and the transmission of the optics and filters over the sensor. ISO is simply a post-sensor gain applied to the signal from the sensor.

Myth #2: ISO changes exposure. False! When you change ISO on a digital camera, two things are changed ...

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    • Most Recent Threads

arash_hazeghi

Marbled godwit banking

Thread Starter: arash_hazeghi

Another shorebird image from northern CA shorelines

Shot with my D5 and AF-S 600mm f/4E FL + TC14-E III. ISO 640 f/5.6 at 1/4000 sec

Last Post By: Tim Munsey Today, 04:31 AM Go to last post
      Tim Munsey

Eagle panning

Thread Starter: Tim Munsey

You get bored with doing the same old images, so it's worth risking something different.

D850, 300mm f/2.8, 1/50th at F/14,

Last Post By: Tim Munsey Today, 04:29 AM Go to last post
      Colin Driscoll

Grey Teal

Thread Starter: Colin Driscoll

1DXII 600 f4 III 1.4x III 840mm HH
      1/2000 f7.1 iso800
      Head turn just off ideal
      Cropped, NR to BG, light sharpen bird, cleaned up some

Last Post By: Tim Munsey Today, 02:58 AM Go to last post
      Kamal Hari Menon

Wild Peacock

Thread Starter: Kamal Hari Menon

Posting after a long time..

Thought of resuming with "National Bird of India"

Shot this image

Last Post By: Tim Munsey Today, 03:00 AM Go to last post
      Juan Tolentino

Red-shouldered Hawk

Thread Starter: Juan Tolentino

I captured this image this past Saturday in Ochopee, FL, Nikon D500 Handheld, Nikkor 500mm PF

ISO 400

f5.6
      1/4000
      Manual

Last Post By: Tim Munsey Today, 03:02 AM Go to last post
      Anthony Barsotti

Barred Owl Portrait

Thread Starter: Anthony Barsotti

Here's one from a few weeks back, I've been wanting to get a nice tight portrait of one of these guys for a while and finally had a decent opportunity.

Last Post By: arash_hazeghi Today, 02:22 AM Go to last post
      Daniel Cadieux

Green-winged Teal.

Thread Starter: Daniel Cadieux

This beautiful drake swam right into the spot I was hoping very hard for. As these guys are skittish up here, I had to go the old fashioned stop and

Last Post By: Kamal Hari Menon Today, 12:44 AM Go to last post
      Paul Burdett

Great Pied Cormorant stare

Thread Starter: Paul Burdett

This Great Pied Cormorant was very happy to pose for me, whilst I was flat on the ground.
      Canon 7Dii, 100-400@ 400mm, 1/400th sec, f6.3, iso500,

Last Post By: Paul Burdett Yesterday, 08:38 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

Bull Elk

Thread Starter: John Mack

This image was created in Benezette, Pennsylvania on 9/27/19 at 9:09AM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Last Post By: John Mack Yesterday, 03:01 PM Go to last post
      Geoffrey Montagu

Northern Harrier dining on Snow Goose

Thread Starter: Geoffrey Montagu

We came upon this scene last week at the Bosque del Apache, and the Harrier was already dining on the unfortunate Snow Goose. I'm assuming the Harrier

Last Post By: arash_hazeghi Today, 02:24 AM Go to last post
      Jack Backs

Red-tailed Hawk

Thread Starter: Jack Backs

Taken a couple weeks ago on a country road. This hawk was sitting on a telephone pole. Stopped and jumped out. Handheld. I was surprised the the bird

Last Post By: arash_hazeghi Today, 02:26 AM Go to last post
      david spital

Black & White Warbler

Thread Starter: david spital

Canon 7D MKII
      100-400mm f4.5-5.4L (400mm)
      F 8.0 1/1000 sec ISO2500 hand held NR Neat Image
      Central Park NYC 5/7/2019 12:00 noon

Last Post By: arash_hazeghi Today, 02:25 AM Go to last post
      Krishna Prasad kotti

Greater Sage Grouse Habitat

Thread Starter: Krishna Prasad kotti

I made this image in Colorado this Year.

Camera Settings:-
      ===============
      D500, Nikon 70-200 f/4

ISO 560, 1/2000,

Last Post By: Daniel Cadieux Yesterday, 12:50 PM Go to last post
      Colin Driscoll

Theme: Silver Gull

Thread Starter: Colin Driscoll

1DXII 600 f4 III 1.4x III 840mm HH
      1/2000 f7.1 iso800

Original was moderately high key. Exaggerated in PS2019 using levels separately

Last Post By: Kamal Hari Menon Today, 01:04 AM Go to last post
      John Mack

Tufted titmouse

Thread Starter: John Mack

Feeder set up. This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 3/23/19 at 4:12PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Medium

Last Post By: John Mack 11-20-2019, 05:18 PM Go to last post
    Web Analytics