• Featured Articles RSS Feed

by Published on 10-17-2012 11:00 PM
      Article Preview

Canon U.S.A. Expands The EOS-1D X Digital SLR Camera Autofocus Capabilities With New Firmware Update

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., October 17, 2012 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced a new firmware update in response to user requests which further enhances the capabilities of Canon's flagship EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera. The EOS-1D X will now be capable of AF point illumination during AI Servo AF and cross-type AF for maximum apertures as small as f/8. The new firmware update is available now at no charge from the Canon U.S.A. website and can be downloaded by end users or through Canon Factory Service Centers.
      AF Point Illumination During AI Servo AF
      Published on 10-13-2012 01:32 PM
      Article Preview

This is the assembled Lens Align Mark II. Thanks to Michael Tapes for the image.

Why Micro-adjust?

It’s simple. While the images made with most rigs are sharp, in many cases, they will be that much sharper with more fine detail once a given camera body/lens or camera body/TC/lens combination has been properly micro-adjusted. While some of my rigs are spot on, others have needed front- or back-focusing corrections as high as +/- 12 units.

The Lens Align Mk II; Micro-adjusting Magic

Ever since the introduction of digital camera bodies that feature micro-adjustments for individual lenses, folks--including me--have been searching for a quick, easy way to make those micro-adjustments. When I was working on the 7D and the Mark IV User's Guides, I worked hard on developing a make-it-yourself cardboard rig that was a big improvement on the original version. But in reality, it did not offer the needed precision. And in addition to the extremely low cost, the rig took up lots of space--heck, it was huge, and using it was tedious.
      Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...

Page 7 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    • Most Recent Threads

Joseph Przybyla

Osprey

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Last Post By: Joseph Przybyla Today, 08:41 AM Go to last post
      Giovanni Frescura

blu arctic fox

Thread Starter: Giovanni Frescura

iso 320
      f.4
      1/1350

Canon 1dx Mark II
      Canon 300 f.2,8 IS plus extender 1,4

Last Post By: Giovanni Frescura Today, 04:16 AM Go to last post
      Jay Ing

Anhinga Taking Flight

Thread Starter: Jay Ing

Out at Circle B Bar Ranch in Lakeland FL last week. First time there - lots of fun.
      D850, 300 PF + 1.4 TC, 1/3200, 5.6, HH, C1P raw, PS CCC 2018

Last Post By: Joseph Przybyla Today, 08:24 AM Go to last post
      Don Lacy

Burrowing Owl

Thread Starter: Don Lacy

It has been a long time since I have posted any avian images here is a Burrowing Owl I photograph while testing my new 5DMKIV

5DMKIV, 500

Last Post By: Joseph Przybyla Today, 08:28 AM Go to last post
      Jack Backs

Another Ring-billed Gull from the mid-west

Thread Starter: Jack Backs

I struggle with white balance. Hopefully this is correct. Only cropped in the vertical dimension from horizontal 4x6 to 8x10
      D500/500mmF4VRII/TC-14EIII

Last Post By: Joseph Przybyla Today, 08:35 AM Go to last post
      John Mack

Black backed gull

Thread Starter: John Mack

Black backed gull on the beach. Image adjustments in Lightroom and photoshop.

Hand held, Full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIII

Last Post By: Don Lacy Yesterday, 08:54 PM Go to last post
      John Whaley

Fledged Osprey

Thread Starter: John Whaley

I have been going back over my files because of the lousy weather we are having and found this one. When I find one I like I am updating the pp as I have

Last Post By: Jay Ing Yesterday, 10:59 PM Go to last post
      Bill Dix

Belcher's Gull

Thread Starter: Bill Dix

Can't let the month go by without a gull shot from my files. This is a Belcher's Gull, also known as a Band-tailed Gull, taken on a gloomy morning in

Last Post By: Don Lacy Yesterday, 09:00 PM Go to last post
      Geoffrey Montagu

Southern Ground Hornbill portrait

Thread Starter: Geoffrey Montagu

Needless to say these are very interesting looking Hornbills. Captured this image recently in Botswana. The males can reach 90 to 129 centimeters (35.4

Last Post By: Don Lacy Yesterday, 09:02 PM Go to last post
      keith mitchell

Owl on a dark night.

Thread Starter: keith mitchell

Short eared owl.
      Nikon D7000
      Nikon 300mm 2.8
      1/60 @F4
      iso 800.

Not getting out and about so much these days

Last Post By: Don Lacy Yesterday, 09:04 PM Go to last post
      Daniel Cadieux

Common Goldeneye Jump Start.

Thread Starter: Daniel Cadieux

I love how some of the waterfowl runs on water to gain speed before lifting off. These guys have the added bonus of whistling coming from the rapidly

Last Post By: Don Lacy Yesterday, 09:06 PM Go to last post
      Jay Ing

Rock Wren

Thread Starter: Jay Ing

While the Rock Wren may be fairly common I'd never knowingly seen one - so - happy for the frame and check box on my tiny "life list".

Last Post By: Don Lacy Yesterday, 09:08 PM Go to last post
      Don Railton

Blackwood river

Thread Starter: Don Railton

Hi Guys..

It has been some while since i posting anything...Since I have retired my life seems to have got so much busier, but I think I

Last Post By: Don Railton 02-23-2018, 11:21 PM Go to last post
      Jake Levin

Soaked pelican

Thread Starter: Jake Levin

This pelican landed right in front of me, soaking wet from a dip in the ocean. I pulled up the curve a bit and added +15 brightness in Photoshop. Too

Last Post By: Lorant Voros Yesterday, 03:41 PM Go to last post
      Lorant Voros

Evening light and intense colors

Thread Starter: Lorant Voros

I find these pre-historic birds very impressive with their intense colors. However, when the setting sun illuminates them they almost glow. I took the

Last Post By: John Mack Yesterday, 11:20 AM Go to last post
    Web Analytics