• Featured Articles RSS Feed

Published on 10-13-2012 01:32 PM
      Article Preview

This is the assembled Lens Align Mark II. Thanks to Michael Tapes for the image.

Why Micro-adjust?

It’s simple. While the images made with most rigs are sharp, in many cases, they will be that much sharper with more fine detail once a given camera body/lens or camera body/TC/lens combination has been properly micro-adjusted. While some of my rigs are spot on, others have needed front- or back-focusing corrections as high as +/- 12 units.

The Lens Align Mk II; Micro-adjusting Magic

Ever since the introduction of digital camera bodies that feature micro-adjustments for individual lenses, folks--including me--have been searching for a quick, easy way to make those micro-adjustments. When I was working on the 7D and the Mark IV User's Guides, I worked hard on developing a make-it-yourself cardboard rig that was a big improvement on the original version. But in reality, it did not offer the needed precision. And in addition to the extremely low cost, the rig took up lots of space--heck, it was huge, and using it was tedious.
      Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...
      by Published on 08-06-2012 07:27 AM

This post is derived from my web article: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/iso

What is ISO on a digital camera?

Reading manufacturer literature, review sites, and online discussions, one is led to believe that ISO changes sensitivity, and changes exposure. These ideas are both incorrect.

Myth #1: ISO changes sensitivity. False! Digital cameras have only one sensitivity, given by the quantum efficiency of the sensor, and the transmission of the optics and filters over the sensor. ISO is simply a post-sensor gain applied to the signal from the sensor.

Myth #2: ISO changes exposure. False! When you change ISO on a digital camera, two things are changed ...

Page 7 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    • Most Recent Threads

Glenn Pure

Black swans with cynet

Thread Starter: Glenn Pure

Back to the cute factor for me again. Taken at a local wildlife reserve just west of Canberra in early morning light. The cygnet wasn't straying

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Today, 01:16 AM Go to last post
      arash_hazeghi

American Kestrel

Thread Starter: arash_hazeghi

Happy late thanksgiving everyone. American Kestrel from SoCal

5D4 400DO II + 2XIII. ISO 1000. f/8 at 1/3200 sec. hand held

Last Post By: Abhijit Deshpande Today, 02:14 AM Go to last post
      Vaughn Stamm

White Pelican

Thread Starter: Vaughn Stamm

White Pelican taken this past May at a local wetland preserve near me where hundreds stopover during their migration.
      Shot with Nikon d7100,

Last Post By: Vaughn Stamm Yesterday, 09:14 PM Go to last post
      Alex Becker

Chickadee

Thread Starter: Alex Becker

Hi all,

A chickadee taken at my parents house using a feeder setup today. Cropped about 15%, added some canvas to the right, cloned out a

Last Post By: Isaac Grant Yesterday, 08:53 PM Go to last post
      William Dickson

Theme - Redshank

Thread Starter: William Dickson

Canon 1DX
      f/4 500mm with 1.4
      f/5.6
      1/1000
      ISO 1250

This is one from a few weeks ago. On the sea shore, on a dull

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Today, 01:23 AM Go to last post
      Bill Dix

Dunlin - A Walk in the Bubbles

Thread Starter: Bill Dix

From Stone Harbor Point, NJ on a gloomy day in October.

D500, Sigma 150-600 @ 600 mm, ISO 3200, 1/2500s @ f/8 manual.

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Today, 01:03 AM Go to last post
      Raybel Robles

Antillean Nighthawk

Thread Starter: Raybel Robles

I found this guy while driving home a few weeks ago. I rapidly went home got my gear and went back to get the photo. I was excited to get the photo because

Last Post By: Daniel Cadieux Yesterday, 08:20 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

Whitetail Buck

Thread Starter: John Mack

Whitetail buck with a unique rack. Image adjustments in Lightroom.

Hand held, Full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIII
      Sigma 150-600

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Today, 12:19 AM Go to last post
      Isaac Grant

Bathing Dunlin

Thread Starter: Isaac Grant

This is really a theme that I could have posted 20 shots a day for as I have so many shorebird images that I never posted. This Dunlin was photographed

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Today, 01:07 AM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Blue tit

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

Taken from back garden hide, Tripod head clamped, Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II
      Auto ISO 800 1/1600 sec f8

Had to resort to a little

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Today, 12:55 AM Go to last post
      greg cowle

sundown and plover

Thread Starter: greg cowle

Carmel beach this evening, saw these little plovers running around (sure someone can easily ID for me), and was hoping for some nice evening light on

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Today, 12:53 AM Go to last post
      Glenn Pure

Little Corella

Thread Starter: Glenn Pure

One of the cockatoo family of birds. This one was coming in to a local dam for a last drink near sunset. Background was in shadow helping the bird

Last Post By: Alex Becker Yesterday, 06:26 PM Go to last post
      Daniel Cadieux

Grumpy Eastern Screech-Owl.

Thread Starter: Daniel Cadieux

This locally well known individual is normally a relaxed fella, but on this particular morning it had a "do not disturb" type of allure to it.

Last Post By: Bill Dix Yesterday, 06:13 PM Go to last post
      William Dickson

Red Grouse (a different pose)

Thread Starter: William Dickson

Canon 1DX
      f/4 500mm with 1.4
      f/7.1
      1/1600
      ISO 1250

Not the cleanest of images, but I thought this worked. The bird

Last Post By: Glenn Pure 11-23-2017, 10:23 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

Turkey

Thread Starter: John Mack

Found some images of turkeys i made, none are great. This is probably the best one. Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate.

Hand held,

Last Post By: Arthur Morris 11-23-2017, 03:51 PM Go to last post
    Web Analytics