• Featured Articles RSS Feed

Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...
      by Published on 08-06-2012 07:27 AM

This post is derived from my web article: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/iso

What is ISO on a digital camera?

Reading manufacturer literature, review sites, and online discussions, one is led to believe that ISO changes sensitivity, and changes exposure. These ideas are both incorrect.

Myth #1: ISO changes sensitivity. False! Digital cameras have only one sensitivity, given by the quantum efficiency of the sensor, and the transmission of the optics and filters over the sensor. ISO is simply a post-sensor gain applied to the signal from the sensor.

Myth #2: ISO changes exposure. False! When you change ISO on a digital camera, two things are changed ...
      by Published on 08-02-2012 06:11 PM
      Article Preview

I have been wanting to build a floating hide for some time and over the past month or so have had this project going in my shed. After searching the internet, including BPN, I found little in the way of how to build one - I did find a video of a floating hide used for photography here http://vimeo.com/36899837 and I thank Sparky for answering an email as to how he built his hide and the materials used especially for the netting.

So I thought that the users of BPN may find this helpful.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    • Most Recent Threads

annmpacheco

puffin

Thread Starter: annmpacheco

puffins are a challenge to me, a big challenge that whizzes by in a flash. So i sat myself down in the same spot for hours and tried all my tricks, new

Last Post By: annmpacheco Today, 05:29 PM Go to last post
      Allen Sparks

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail - female dark form

Thread Starter: Allen Sparks

Canon 7D2, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 1.4x TC III, 430 EX II Speedlite
      ISO 400, f16, 1/250s, HH, fill flash

The female of this butterfly

Last Post By: Allen Sparks Today, 02:30 PM Go to last post
      Geoffrey Montagu

Clay-colored Sparrow

Thread Starter: Geoffrey Montagu

Another image of a Clay-colored Sparrow captured about three weeks ago. I used a setup to get a cleaner image of him perched. The predominant shrub and

Last Post By: Geoffrey Montagu Today, 12:50 PM Go to last post
      Isaac Grant

Feeding American Oystercatcher

Thread Starter: Isaac Grant

On my last trip to Nickerson Beach I came across this mostly grown up young American Oystercatcher. The sun was mostly set and I was walking back to the

Last Post By: Marina Scarr Today, 01:52 PM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Elk

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

Canon 1DX Canon 100-400 L IS II 1/250 sec f7.1

I know you reckon it's a moose, I would have done too having sorted out moose, elk, wapiti

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton Today, 10:31 AM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Bridled guillemot

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 l IS II ISO 1250 +0.67 1/2500 sec f7.1
      The so called bridled guillemot due to the white spectacles. Image taken on the

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton Today, 09:48 AM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Mallare (hen) Bathing...

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I captured this image at Lake Mirror in Lakeland, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon

Last Post By: Joseph Przybyla Today, 09:22 AM Go to last post
      Marc Mol

Romeo & Juliet......balcony scene.

Thread Starter: Marc Mol

In a scene reminiscent from Romeo & Juliet,

this big pride male had but one thing on his mind, boldly ascending this tree and climbing

Last Post By: Sanjeev Aurangabadkar Today, 12:07 PM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (m)

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

Side view of the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterfly I photographed recently in my backyard. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you

Last Post By: Allen Sparks Today, 02:33 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

Ruddy Turnstone

Thread Starter: John Mack

Ruddy turnstone on the beach in the morning. Image adjustments in Lightroom. Hand held, small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIII
      Sigma 150-600

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 07:23 AM Go to last post
      Rachel Hollander

Hugable?

Thread Starter: Rachel Hollander

A pause in the action while these 2 one year old cubs play fought. You can see the inspiration for a teddy bear here.

Canon 7D2
      100-400

Last Post By: Rachel Hollander Today, 05:28 PM Go to last post
      arash_hazeghi

Short-eared owl

Thread Starter: arash_hazeghi

Short-eared owl from Vancouver. I chose a wider crop to show the typical winter habitat for these owls. Hope you like it

1DX

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton Today, 11:48 AM Go to last post
      Sanjeev Aurangabadkar

Hey Check out my ear stud!

Thread Starter: Sanjeev Aurangabadkar

Oxpeckers feeling at home on this African Buffalo at Masai Mara.
      7D II
      100-400 II @ 400mm
      1/640
      f/7.1
      ISO 800

Last Post By: Marc Mol Today, 10:18 AM Go to last post
      Melissa Usrey

Trying to catch a snack

Thread Starter: Melissa Usrey

This was taken early in the morning. The frogs were waking up and I was able to watch their antics (including a romantic interlude). This

Last Post By: Melissa Usrey Today, 10:57 AM Go to last post
      Michael Thompson

Common loons frolicking on a northern MN lake after sunset

Thread Starter: Michael Thompson

It was getting dark out in my little boat, and the loons were out diving and fishing. it was really too dark for pics i thought, but gave it a try and

Last Post By: Michael Thompson Today, 08:10 AM Go to last post
    Web Analytics