• Featured Articles RSS Feed

Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...
      by Published on 08-06-2012 07:27 AM

This post is derived from my web article: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/iso

What is ISO on a digital camera?

Reading manufacturer literature, review sites, and online discussions, one is led to believe that ISO changes sensitivity, and changes exposure. These ideas are both incorrect.

Myth #1: ISO changes sensitivity. False! Digital cameras have only one sensitivity, given by the quantum efficiency of the sensor, and the transmission of the optics and filters over the sensor. ISO is simply a post-sensor gain applied to the signal from the sensor.

Myth #2: ISO changes exposure. False! When you change ISO on a digital camera, two things are changed ...
      by Published on 08-02-2012 06:11 PM
      Article Preview

I have been wanting to build a floating hide for some time and over the past month or so have had this project going in my shed. After searching the internet, including BPN, I found little in the way of how to build one - I did find a video of a floating hide used for photography here http://vimeo.com/36899837 and I thank Sparky for answering an email as to how he built his hide and the materials used especially for the netting.

So I thought that the users of BPN may find this helpful.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    • Most Recent Threads

David Cowling

Beach Tractor

Thread Starter: David Cowling

Long time since I posted here. Not sure which category this image fell into so feel free to move if necessary. This image is composed of 3 frames taken

Last Post By: David Cowling Today, 02:31 PM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

After the fight ....

Thread Starter: Andreas Liedmann

Hi folks ,
      here is the opposite side of my last trip to Helgoland last winter ..
      I already posted some action frames of two bulls fighting

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann Today, 02:28 PM Go to last post
      Tom Speelman

Lion in the Okavango

Thread Starter: Tom Speelman

Hi All,
      First post on birdphotographers.net and looking forward to learning a lot. Hopefully, I got the image attached correctly.

Last Post By: Tom Speelman Today, 02:19 PM Go to last post
      Stuart Philpott

DPP 4.6.20 and canons DPP3

Thread Starter: Stuart Philpott

Guys I started into wildlife photography with a canon 550D. Obviously at the time DPP4 didn't exist,so all my pics were loaded into DPP3. Now with the

Last Post By: arash_hazeghi Today, 02:32 PM Go to last post
      annmpacheco

display display display

Thread Starter: annmpacheco

Holy smokers: this gorgeous snowy egret gave me the best ever display behaviors. I never realized there was a "beard" involved, but what a

Last Post By: Isaac Grant Today, 02:53 PM Go to last post
      Isaac Grant

Piping Plover eating

Thread Starter: Isaac Grant

This Piping Plover was photographed a few weeks ago at Breezy Point in Queens, New York. For those that don't know this is along the barrier beach in

Last Post By: annmpacheco Today, 11:28 AM Go to last post
      Bill Dix

Great Egret taking off

Thread Starter: Bill Dix

From Harns Marsh in February. I know, the HA Police will nab me for this one. The prior frame had a good HA but didn't show the fish as well. I thought

Last Post By: Bill Dix Today, 10:12 AM Go to last post
      David Cowling

Drake Mallard

Thread Starter: David Cowling

Drake mallard alighting on flat calm water. I have deliberately not cropped up from the bottom as I think that negative space can sometimes help to concentrate

Last Post By: David Cowling Today, 09:44 AM Go to last post
      Michael Thompson

Morning Bufflehead

Thread Starter: Michael Thompson

I finally got a Bufflehead drake close with decent morning sunlight. I played a couple duck calls on my cell phone and he swam in for a closer look. Lake

Last Post By: Isaac Grant Today, 10:57 AM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Great spotted woodpecker

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

Canon 1DX
      Canon 500mm f4 L IS
      Auto ISO 2000
      1/1600 sec f8
      DPP & PSCC

Taken in the back garden from my main hide.

Last Post By: annmpacheco Today, 11:29 AM Go to last post
      Ian McLachlan

Eagle v Zebra

Thread Starter: Ian McLachlan

Been trying for a few years to get a decent contrast to the rather bland greys and white of the
      White Bellied Sea Eagle. Caught this

Last Post By: David Salem Today, 10:04 AM Go to last post
      Tomasz Zawadzki

Black redstart

Thread Starter: Tomasz Zawadzki

Taken with:
      Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
      EF600mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III
      ƒ/9.0
      1/1250
      ISO 2500

This is close relative

Last Post By: Isaac Grant Today, 10:36 AM Go to last post
      Juan Tolentino

Roseate Spoonbill at Sunset II

Thread Starter: Juan Tolentino

I captured this image last year at Fort DeSoto Park, Florida, with the Nikon D750 Handheld and AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm 1-5.6E ED VR
      ISO 1600

Last Post By: annmpacheco Today, 11:25 AM Go to last post
      Melissa Usrey

Mandarin Duck with reflection

Thread Starter: Melissa Usrey

Hi again! I was on the search for a Mandarin Duck so I could actually see one in person. Following many guidelines, I know I got a bit

Last Post By: Melissa Usrey Today, 12:06 PM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Milky docking station

Thread Starter: Andreas Liedmann

Hi folks got the chance to photograph this scene without stressing the animals , just by luck .
      As i was based in one spot to take all sorts of

Last Post By: Rachel Hollander Today, 06:30 AM Go to last post
    Web Analytics