• Featured Articles RSS Feed

Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...
      by Published on 08-06-2012 07:27 AM

This post is derived from my web article: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/iso

What is ISO on a digital camera?

Reading manufacturer literature, review sites, and online discussions, one is led to believe that ISO changes sensitivity, and changes exposure. These ideas are both incorrect.

Myth #1: ISO changes sensitivity. False! Digital cameras have only one sensitivity, given by the quantum efficiency of the sensor, and the transmission of the optics and filters over the sensor. ISO is simply a post-sensor gain applied to the signal from the sensor.

Myth #2: ISO changes exposure. False! When you change ISO on a digital camera, two things are changed ...
      by Published on 08-02-2012 06:11 PM
      Article Preview

I have been wanting to build a floating hide for some time and over the past month or so have had this project going in my shed. After searching the internet, including BPN, I found little in the way of how to build one - I did find a video of a floating hide used for photography here http://vimeo.com/36899837 and I thank Sparky for answering an email as to how he built his hide and the materials used especially for the netting.

So I thought that the users of BPN may find this helpful.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    • Most Recent Threads

Alex Becker

Ring-billed Gull

Thread Starter: Alex Becker

Hi all,

Heres a Ring-billed Gull from NJ. Taken about 45 minutes before sunset. BG is sky and trees across the lake I was at. In post, did

Last Post By: Alex Becker Yesterday, 08:49 PM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Cute wanna be predator

Thread Starter: Andreas Liedmann

Hi folks i do also like to throw a different species in the mix for this month theme ..
      Always a great pleasure to watch and photograph this Cape

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann Yesterday, 02:59 PM Go to last post
      Martin Fuchs

Testing new camera

Thread Starter: Martin Fuchs

What better way to test a new camera? At least the dogs enjoyed it ;)

Last Post By: Martin Fuchs Yesterday, 09:22 AM Go to last post
      Tomasz Zawadzki

Savi's warbler

Thread Starter: Tomasz Zawadzki

I have decided to come back to that funny bird (i mean the way it sings) in better conditions - more sun, less wind.
      This is what i came up with.

Last Post By: Marina Scarr Yesterday, 03:20 PM Go to last post
      Juan Tolentino

Cormorant Portrait

Thread Starter: Juan Tolentino

I captured this image in November at my local Lake in Miami Lakes, Florida, with the Nikon D750 Handheld and AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm 1-5.6E ED VR

Last Post By: Daniel Grossi Yesterday, 05:49 AM Go to last post
      Daniel Grossi

Female Red-Winged Blackbird

Thread Starter: Daniel Grossi

It was tough saying goodbye to my 600mm f/4 rental - but it sure was nice carrying this "lightweight" lens around after. My first shot

Last Post By: Alex Becker Yesterday, 06:33 PM Go to last post
      Jack Backs

Eastern Phoebe

Thread Starter: Jack Backs

I never hit the field with the intent of imaging an Eastern Phoebe. These mundane birds are common in Eastern Missouri and I find them quite often partially

Last Post By: Isaac Grant 05-23-2017, 08:10 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

Osprey

Thread Starter: John Mack

Osprey with a stick on a very windy morning. Image adjustments in Lightroom. Hand held, cropped for composition.

Canon 5D MarkIII
      Sigma

Last Post By: Alex Becker Yesterday, 09:00 PM Go to last post
      Tim Foltz

Cliff Diving

Thread Starter: Tim Foltz

Canon 1DX • 700mm • 1/1600 • f/8 • ISO 800 • handheld • manual

This is from a few weeks ago, a Peregrine Falcon after she leaps off her rocky

Last Post By: David Salem Today, 12:07 AM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

My Robin

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

This is a little friend of mine who comes to eat all the food I can put out for him. I decided to see if I could get a fw action shots and rather than

Last Post By: Gabriela Plesea Yesterday, 02:26 PM Go to last post
      Stephen Sinksen

Great Crested Flycatcher

Thread Starter: Stephen Sinksen

Photographed at a local marsh around 6pm in bright shaded conditions.
      Equipment used: Canon 7d2 w/ EF 500 f4 IS (version 1) and 1.4x extender.

Last Post By: Stephen Sinksen 05-23-2017, 09:53 PM Go to last post
      Geoffrey Montagu

Prairie Warbler

Thread Starter: Geoffrey Montagu

We had been looking for a Mourning Warbler that had been reported at a local wildlife preserve several days ago with no luck. As we emerged from the woods

Last Post By: annmpacheco Yesterday, 02:26 PM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Savannah Sparrow

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I captured this image along Joe Overstreet Road in Kenansville, Florida. I identified it as a Savannah Sparrow using Peterson and Stokes books and also

Last Post By: John Mack 05-23-2017, 05:08 PM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

European Bison head on approach

Thread Starter: Andreas Liedmann

Hi folks
      just another frame of my Bison images i have taken in feb this year in the Netherlands .
      This guy came along the path as an individual

Last Post By: Gabriela Plesea Yesterday, 03:28 PM Go to last post
      Mitch Carucci

Great Egret

Thread Starter: Mitch Carucci

remask & Impression.

I had to soften a distracting background. I had not thought to use Impression, but I think it worked out OK.

Last Post By: Mitch Carucci 05-23-2017, 02:26 PM Go to last post
    Web Analytics