• Featured Articles RSS Feed

Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...
      by Published on 08-06-2012 07:27 AM

This post is derived from my web article: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/iso

What is ISO on a digital camera?

Reading manufacturer literature, review sites, and online discussions, one is led to believe that ISO changes sensitivity, and changes exposure. These ideas are both incorrect.

Myth #1: ISO changes sensitivity. False! Digital cameras have only one sensitivity, given by the quantum efficiency of the sensor, and the transmission of the optics and filters over the sensor. ISO is simply a post-sensor gain applied to the signal from the sensor.

Myth #2: ISO changes exposure. False! When you change ISO on a digital camera, two things are changed ...
      by Published on 08-02-2012 06:11 PM
      Article Preview

I have been wanting to build a floating hide for some time and over the past month or so have had this project going in my shed. After searching the internet, including BPN, I found little in the way of how to build one - I did find a video of a floating hide used for photography here http://vimeo.com/36899837 and I thank Sparky for answering an email as to how he built his hide and the materials used especially for the netting.

So I thought that the users of BPN may find this helpful.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    • Most Recent Threads

Marc Mol

Sunset sentinel

Thread Starter: Marc Mol

Lying flat on the ground gave me this wonderful perspective of a female White Rhino standing sentinel @ sunset over the plains somewhere in the Loisaba

Last Post By: Marc Mol Today, 05:20 AM Go to last post
      Vaughn Stamm

New member checking in

Thread Starter: Vaughn Stamm

Hello all. New member checking in. I have followed along for some time now and just never felt I measured up. I finally am taking the leap and hope to

Last Post By: Stu Bowie Today, 05:05 AM Go to last post
      Terry Johnson

Silver Falls (South Falls)

Thread Starter: Terry Johnson

Hello, this is an image of the south falls at Silver Falls State Park, Oregon

Nikon D810
      24-70mm lens at 24mm
      F22

Last Post By: Terry Johnson Yesterday, 01:03 PM Go to last post
      dankearl

A cold Stare..

Thread Starter: dankearl

Bison in the Lamar Valley, Yellowstone park.
      600mm, D610, 1/500, iso800, f5.6

611_6669bpn.jpg

Last Post By: Rachel Hollander Yesterday, 11:05 AM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Reddish Egret With Fish

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

Another from the half hour or so I followed this Reddish Egret as it foraged for fish along the surf line. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated.

Last Post By: Joseph Przybyla Yesterday, 09:53 AM Go to last post
      Sanjeev Aurangabadkar

Crazy Lion

Thread Starter: Sanjeev Aurangabadkar

A funny expression on the lions face as he was shaking his head.
      5D III
      500mm II
      1/3200
      f/8
      ISO 800

Last Post By: Marc Mol Today, 05:25 AM Go to last post
      John Mack

Dew Web II

Thread Starter: John Mack

This is from the same morning as the other spider web. Image adjustments in Lightroom. Camera on sticks triggered with a remote. Full frame.

Last Post By: John Mack Yesterday, 08:30 AM Go to last post
      Juan Tolentino

Snowy Egret dragging the Feet - Low Key

Thread Starter: Juan Tolentino

I captured this image last February at Green Cay Wetlands in Delray Beach, Florida with the Nikon D500 Handheld and AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm 1-5.6E ED VR

Last Post By: Juan Tolentino 09-22-2017, 06:57 PM Go to last post
      Geoffrey Montagu

Juvenile Peregrine Falcon

Thread Starter: Geoffrey Montagu

Captured this image yesterday early morning out on the tip of Sandy Hook, NJ. We were pleasantly surprised while capturing images of 1st. winter Laughing

Last Post By: Bill Dix Yesterday, 12:53 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

Yellow crowned night heron

I posted one of these awhile back this is a different frame from the same series. Image adjustments in Lightroom. Hand held, full frame.

Last Post By: Juan Tolentino 09-22-2017, 08:18 PM Go to last post
      Bill Dix

Laughing Gull Juvenile

Thread Starter: Bill Dix

There were hundreds upon hundreds of these guys in a feeding frenzy just offshore at Sandy Hook yesterday. They must be staging for their migration southward.

Last Post By: Juan Tolentino Yesterday, 04:15 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

White-tail buck

This buck usually hangs out along the edge of the woods or just in it. He decided to come out a little further than usual one evening. Still has some

Last Post By: dankearl Yesterday, 10:26 AM Go to last post
      Mary Thompson

Hello all

Thread Starter: Mary Thompson

This seems like a great place to learn more about my hobby of photography and share photo's with the various forums here. TY for accepting me in.

Last Post By: Mary Thompson 09-22-2017, 09:33 AM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Reddish Egret

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

Dottie and I went to Ft. De Soto in Pinellas County, Florida, early morning yesterday. The hurricane damage I feared was minor, some trees down but little

Last Post By: Isaac Grant 09-22-2017, 09:39 PM Go to last post
      Mike Poole

Semipalmated Plover

Thread Starter: Mike Poole

A late evening shot from earlier this year at Ft Desoto - hope the place and the birds survived Irma OK

Canon 1dx

Last Post By: Bill Dix Yesterday, 12:51 PM Go to last post
    Web Analytics