• Featured Articles RSS Feed

by Published on 10-17-2012 11:00 PM
      Article Preview

Canon U.S.A. Expands The EOS-1D X Digital SLR Camera Autofocus Capabilities With New Firmware Update

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., October 17, 2012 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced a new firmware update in response to user requests which further enhances the capabilities of Canon's flagship EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera. The EOS-1D X will now be capable of AF point illumination during AI Servo AF and cross-type AF for maximum apertures as small as f/8. The new firmware update is available now at no charge from the Canon U.S.A. website and can be downloaded by end users or through Canon Factory Service Centers.
      AF Point Illumination During AI Servo AF
      Published on 10-13-2012 01:32 PM
      Article Preview

This is the assembled Lens Align Mark II. Thanks to Michael Tapes for the image.

Why Micro-adjust?

It’s simple. While the images made with most rigs are sharp, in many cases, they will be that much sharper with more fine detail once a given camera body/lens or camera body/TC/lens combination has been properly micro-adjusted. While some of my rigs are spot on, others have needed front- or back-focusing corrections as high as +/- 12 units.

The Lens Align Mk II; Micro-adjusting Magic

Ever since the introduction of digital camera bodies that feature micro-adjustments for individual lenses, folks--including me--have been searching for a quick, easy way to make those micro-adjustments. When I was working on the 7D and the Mark IV User's Guides, I worked hard on developing a make-it-yourself cardboard rig that was a big improvement on the original version. But in reality, it did not offer the needed precision. And in addition to the extremely low cost, the rig took up lots of space--heck, it was huge, and using it was tedious.
      Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...

Page 7 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    • Most Recent Threads

Paul Burdett

Little Corellas

Thread Starter: Paul Burdett

Hi all. After more than two months of temps in the mid-high 30's (and too hot/humid to go birding...even at 5am) today is a "cooler" 27C...so

Last Post By: Paul Burdett Today, 12:22 AM Go to last post
      Don Lacy

Roosevelt Bridge

Thread Starter: Don Lacy

Something a little different from me here is a image of the Roosevelt bridge in Stuart FL that I took the other day. This is a four image blend using

Last Post By: Don Lacy Today, 12:05 AM Go to last post
      annmpacheco

take-off female kestrel

Thread Starter: annmpacheco

Taken in Southern California last month with Dave S. and Gail B.. This is the female kestrel that has some feather edge damage on her right wing due to

Last Post By: Isaac Grant Today, 12:21 AM Go to last post
      John Mack

Ring-Billed Gull

Thread Starter: John Mack

Ring-billed coming in for landing. Got to take the 5D MarkIV out for a spin the other morning. I was not disappointed at all. Image adjustments in Lightroom.

Last Post By: Jim Crosswell Yesterday, 08:55 PM Go to last post
      Randy Stout

Leucistic Angel

Thread Starter: Randy Stout

This trumpeter is another leucistic individual from last Sunday. It was a dull overcast sky at that time, so went high key, which I think works well

Last Post By: annmpacheco Yesterday, 08:53 PM Go to last post
      William Dickson

The Lookout

Thread Starter: William Dickson

Canon 1DX
      f/4 500mm with 1.4
      f/6.3
      1/1000
      ISO 800

Another trip to the Glen this weekend and found it unusually very

Last Post By: Jim Crosswell Yesterday, 09:00 PM Go to last post
      Noel Heustis

Theme: Juv Ring-billed Gull Banking

Thread Starter: Noel Heustis

Much of the day was overcast so I had been trying out aperture priority and exposure compensation. A few other high key shots coming from this day. I

Last Post By: Jim Crosswell Yesterday, 09:03 PM Go to last post
      gail bisson

Northern Pygmy #2

Thread Starter: gail bisson

Shot this last week in BC. NOT baited.
      We spent 8 hours with 2 northern pygmy's, standing quietly by our tripods and moving with her/him as they

Last Post By: Isaac Grant Today, 12:19 AM Go to last post
      Alex Becker

Yellow-eyed Penguin

Thread Starter: Alex Becker

Hi all,

Another shot of the same Yellow-eyed Penguin, this time with a nicer background (the sun hitting the sand on the beach / the cliff

Last Post By: annmpacheco Yesterday, 09:12 PM Go to last post
      Allen Sparks

Osprey

Thread Starter: Allen Sparks

Canon 1D4, 400mm f4 DO IS, 1.4x TC III
      ISO 400, f8, 1/1000s

Osprey seen on the beach at Sanibel Island. I would normally shoot in-flight

Last Post By: Jim Crosswell Yesterday, 11:09 PM Go to last post
      Somdeb Biswas

Hello from India

Thread Starter: Somdeb Biswas

Hello, everyone. I am just a beginner in Bird Photography and wish to learn the techniques. I always prefer critical comments on my work as I feel more

Last Post By: Somdeb Biswas Yesterday, 12:15 PM Go to last post
      Somdeb Biswas

Small Pratincole in flight

Thread Starter: Somdeb Biswas

Every winter these Pratincoles flock near River Mahananda, near Siliguri, West Bengal, India. They fly over the river providing photo opportunities. This

Last Post By: Somdeb Biswas Yesterday, 08:35 PM Go to last post
      Giuseppe Gessa

Hello everybody

Thread Starter: Giuseppe Gessa

Hello,

I'm Giuseppe and I come from Italy. I'm sorry for my bad english but I'm studing it and I'm a beginner, so if you want to correct

Last Post By: Giuseppe Gessa Yesterday, 10:36 AM Go to last post
      Jim Crosswell

Hooded Merganser (female)

Thread Starter: Jim Crosswell

This was taken last week at a local creek. A lower angle was a possibility but would have introduced unwanted elements in the BG. Hope you enjoy the image.

Last Post By: Jim Crosswell Yesterday, 08:51 PM Go to last post
      Bill Dix

Little Bee-eater with Prey

Thread Starter: Bill Dix

From Duma Tau, Botswana. I captured 28 frames of this sequence showing the struggle between this Little Bee-eater and the Dragonfly. This was near the

Last Post By: Bill Dix Yesterday, 03:45 PM Go to last post
    Web Analytics