• Featured Articles RSS Feed

Published on 10-13-2012 01:32 PM
      Article Preview

This is the assembled Lens Align Mark II. Thanks to Michael Tapes for the image.

Why Micro-adjust?

It’s simple. While the images made with most rigs are sharp, in many cases, they will be that much sharper with more fine detail once a given camera body/lens or camera body/TC/lens combination has been properly micro-adjusted. While some of my rigs are spot on, others have needed front- or back-focusing corrections as high as +/- 12 units.

The Lens Align Mk II; Micro-adjusting Magic

Ever since the introduction of digital camera bodies that feature micro-adjustments for individual lenses, folks--including me--have been searching for a quick, easy way to make those micro-adjustments. When I was working on the 7D and the Mark IV User's Guides, I worked hard on developing a make-it-yourself cardboard rig that was a big improvement on the original version. But in reality, it did not offer the needed precision. And in addition to the extremely low cost, the rig took up lots of space--heck, it was huge, and using it was tedious.
      Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...
      by Published on 08-06-2012 07:27 AM

This post is derived from my web article: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/iso

What is ISO on a digital camera?

Reading manufacturer literature, review sites, and online discussions, one is led to believe that ISO changes sensitivity, and changes exposure. These ideas are both incorrect.

Myth #1: ISO changes sensitivity. False! Digital cameras have only one sensitivity, given by the quantum efficiency of the sensor, and the transmission of the optics and filters over the sensor. ISO is simply a post-sensor gain applied to the signal from the sensor.

Myth #2: ISO changes exposure. False! When you change ISO on a digital camera, two things are changed ...

Page 7 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    • Most Recent Threads

Tim Foltz

American Coot feeding it's Chick

Thread Starter: Tim Foltz

Canon 1DMKIII • 500 mm • 1/1250 • f/5.6 • ISO 320 • handheld manual

Thanks for looking.

-Tim

Last Post By: Tim Foltz Yesterday, 10:19 PM Go to last post
      Glenn Pure

Red-capped Plover

Thread Starter: Glenn Pure

This bird is found around Australia at both salt and fresh water sites. This one was taken in a coastal area (the Carlo Sandblow) at Rainbow Beach

Last Post By: Tim Foltz Yesterday, 09:42 PM Go to last post
      William Dickson

Portrait in Motion

Thread Starter: William Dickson

Canon 1DX
      f/4 500mm with 1.4
      f/7.1
      1/2500
      ISO 800

This is one from a couple of weeks ago when I was photographing

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Yesterday, 06:07 PM Go to last post
      Glenn Pure

Two giraffes

Thread Starter: Glenn Pure

I have quite a few giraffe shots from Africa in May and hope to share a few more before the month is out and the 'horned' theme closes. I like

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Yesterday, 05:14 PM Go to last post
      Gabriela Plesea

Up Close and Personal (C)

Thread Starter: Gabriela Plesea

Hello Friends,

It so happens that I have had some amazing encounters with wildlife lately which I enjoyed tremendously, but not many photographic

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Yesterday, 05:04 PM Go to last post
      Geoffrey Montagu

American White Pelican

Thread Starter: Geoffrey Montagu

This pelican image was captured in southern Texas a week ago, and may or may not fit the theme, because they are found near coastlines in winter, and

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Yesterday, 06:04 PM Go to last post
      Raybel Robles

Copper-rumped Hummingbird

Thread Starter: Raybel Robles

Taken a couple of weeks ago in Tobago. I visited the same place multiple days to get this type of photo. Most days the light is never perfect, from bad

Last Post By: Tim Foltz Yesterday, 09:44 PM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Wood Duck (m)

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I captured this image at Lake Morton in Lakeland, Florida. The ducks are beginning to arrive in Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated.

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Yesterday, 05:56 PM Go to last post
      arash_hazeghi

Red-tailed hawk

Thread Starter: arash_hazeghi

RTH seeking breakfast, from SoCal. vehicle used as a blind

5D4 600II + 1.4X III. ISO 2500. f/5.6 at 1/2000sec. hand held. processed

Last Post By: Tim Foltz Yesterday, 09:47 PM Go to last post
      Isaac Grant

Wood Duck Wings

Thread Starter: Isaac Grant

This Wood Duck was photographed shortly after dawn in Central Park. There are still leaves on some trees and their reflection is turning the water beautiful

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Yesterday, 05:47 PM Go to last post
      Bill Dix

Least Grebe Adult

Thread Starter: Bill Dix

This is the parent of the chick from my previous post. This was captured about four hours earlier, in somewhat better light (overcast). Estero Llano

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Yesterday, 05:41 PM Go to last post
      William Dickson

Red Grouse

Thread Starter: William Dickson

Canon 1DX
      f/4 500mm
      f/8
      1/1250
      ISO 1250

I took another trip to the Glen at the weekend for the Red Grouse. I was

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Yesterday, 05:34 PM Go to last post
      Mike Poole

Exhaling Triggerfish

Thread Starter: Mike Poole

I've always had a little trouble getting close at the right angle to these little Picasso Triggerfish. They've always tended to turn

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton Yesterday, 11:31 AM Go to last post
      Arthur Morris

Clean, tight and graphic or wider with habitat?

Thread Starter: Arthur Morris

This image was created at Fort DeSoto on the morning of November 11, 2017 with the Induro GIT304L Grand Series 3 Stealth Carbon Fiber Tripod/Mongoose

Last Post By: Glenn Pure 11-20-2017, 07:51 PM Go to last post
      Arthur Morris

Fort DeSoto Early Winter IPT/$100 Discount for BPN Members

Thread Starter: Arthur Morris

Recent Fort DeSoto Images

From bottom left clockwise back to center: Great Egret, blasting sunrise highlights; Black Skimmer, winter plumage

Last Post By: Arthur Morris 11-20-2017, 09:05 AM Go to last post
    Web Analytics