• Featured Articles RSS Feed

by Published on 10-17-2012 11:00 PM
      Article Preview

Canon U.S.A. Expands The EOS-1D X Digital SLR Camera Autofocus Capabilities With New Firmware Update

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., October 17, 2012 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced a new firmware update in response to user requests which further enhances the capabilities of Canon's flagship EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera. The EOS-1D X will now be capable of AF point illumination during AI Servo AF and cross-type AF for maximum apertures as small as f/8. The new firmware update is available now at no charge from the Canon U.S.A. website and can be downloaded by end users or through Canon Factory Service Centers.
      AF Point Illumination During AI Servo AF
      Published on 10-13-2012 01:32 PM
      Article Preview

This is the assembled Lens Align Mark II. Thanks to Michael Tapes for the image.

Why Micro-adjust?

It’s simple. While the images made with most rigs are sharp, in many cases, they will be that much sharper with more fine detail once a given camera body/lens or camera body/TC/lens combination has been properly micro-adjusted. While some of my rigs are spot on, others have needed front- or back-focusing corrections as high as +/- 12 units.

The Lens Align Mk II; Micro-adjusting Magic

Ever since the introduction of digital camera bodies that feature micro-adjustments for individual lenses, folks--including me--have been searching for a quick, easy way to make those micro-adjustments. When I was working on the 7D and the Mark IV User's Guides, I worked hard on developing a make-it-yourself cardboard rig that was a big improvement on the original version. But in reality, it did not offer the needed precision. And in addition to the extremely low cost, the rig took up lots of space--heck, it was huge, and using it was tedious.
      Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...

Page 7 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    • Most Recent Threads

John Mack

Eastern Kingbird

Thread Starter: John Mack

This image was created at Montezuma national wildlife refuge in Tyre, New York. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held,

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 04:22 PM Go to last post
      Alex Becker

Magpie

Thread Starter: Alex Becker

Hi all,

A magpie in the snow taken out in MT a bit back while visiting my brother. Small crop, NR in photoshop, sharpened. I've been pretty

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 04:07 PM Go to last post
      gail bisson

The fox and the rat.

Thread Starter: gail bisson

Mom is a great hunter and returns with something every time she leaves the den. Dad is around but appears to be less successful- at least from my observations

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton Today, 07:18 AM Go to last post
      Glenn Pure

Scarlet robin (female)

Thread Starter: Glenn Pure

This is a shot from my archive - almost 2 years ago with the old Mark I version of the Canon 100-400 lens before I updated. While the new one is

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 04:07 PM Go to last post
      Daniel Cadieux

Common Grackle Threat Display.

Thread Starter: Daniel Cadieux

While scouting a local wetlands area, two Common Grackles landed closely together and facing each other, right in front of me. They immediately both held

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 04:09 PM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Great Blue Heron

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 04:11 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

Canada Goose

This image was created at Cayuga Lake in Ithaca, New York on 5/5/18 at 6:25AM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Full

Last Post By: Isaac Grant Today, 02:59 PM Go to last post
      Jake Levin

Theme: Rose Gold

Thread Starter: Jake Levin

This shot is from a few years ago on a fall trip to Fort DeSoto, when a flock of spoonbills came in just as the sunset colours really started to heat

Last Post By: Isaac Grant Today, 03:05 PM Go to last post
      gail bisson

Spoonie Spat- That's got to hurt!

I realize this is not a "clean "image but I wanted to show the behavior captured here. The spat lasted a long time ~ 3 minutes and I got a lot

Last Post By: Stu Bowie Today, 01:19 PM Go to last post
      William Dickson

Ringed Plover

Thread Starter: William Dickson

Canon 1DX
      f/4 500mm with 1.4
      f/7.1
      1/2000
      ISO 640

Another from my hometown. Laying on the beach as I watched this

Last Post By: Alex Becker Today, 03:33 PM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

African elephant

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

Taken from car in Kruger park, Letaba region, early morning overcast.
      Canon 5D III, Canon 100-400 L IS II @142mm, ISO 1000, 1/1000 sec,f8

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton Yesterday, 01:13 PM Go to last post
      Marc Mol

Leopardess sunset.

Thread Starter: Marc Mol

High atop Vultures Rock a leopardess surveys another beautiful Serengeti sunset. She was born here, and so it also proved a wonderful birthplace and

Last Post By: Marc Mol Yesterday, 11:10 AM Go to last post
      John Mack

Northern Shoveler

Northern shoveler drake. This image was created at Montezuma national wildlife refuge in Tyre, New York on 5/5/18 at 8:46AM. Image adjustments in Lightroom

Last Post By: Daniel Cadieux Yesterday, 05:35 PM Go to last post
      Stu Bowie

Yellow Billed Duck

Thread Starter: Stu Bowie

I have been battling with our internet connection all week, so not very productive for trying to upload material - very very slow, and frustrating. Here

Last Post By: Stu Bowie Today, 01:22 PM Go to last post
      gail bisson

Bedtime Cuddles

After years of looking for a fox den (that was photographable) a good friend put me on to this den. He is a letter carrier and spotted the female 3 days

Last Post By: keith mitchell Yesterday, 03:23 PM Go to last post
    Web Analytics