• Featured Articles RSS Feed

Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...
      by Published on 08-06-2012 07:27 AM

This post is derived from my web article: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/iso

What is ISO on a digital camera?

Reading manufacturer literature, review sites, and online discussions, one is led to believe that ISO changes sensitivity, and changes exposure. These ideas are both incorrect.

Myth #1: ISO changes sensitivity. False! Digital cameras have only one sensitivity, given by the quantum efficiency of the sensor, and the transmission of the optics and filters over the sensor. ISO is simply a post-sensor gain applied to the signal from the sensor.

Myth #2: ISO changes exposure. False! When you change ISO on a digital camera, two things are changed ...
      by Published on 08-02-2012 06:11 PM
      Article Preview

I have been wanting to build a floating hide for some time and over the past month or so have had this project going in my shed. After searching the internet, including BPN, I found little in the way of how to build one - I did find a video of a floating hide used for photography here http://vimeo.com/36899837 and I thank Sparky for answering an email as to how he built his hide and the materials used especially for the netting.

So I thought that the users of BPN may find this helpful.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    • Most Recent Threads

Tomasz Zawadzki

Eurasian nuthatch

Thread Starter: Tomasz Zawadzki

Taken with:
      Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
      EF600mm f/4L IS II USM
      ƒ/9.0
      1/160
      ISO 1600

First shot since over 2 months

Last Post By: Tomasz Zawadzki Today, 12:16 PM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Red deer stag

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

Hand held Canon 500mm f4 L IS II Auto ISO 320 1/1000 sec f4.5
      ACR + PSCC 2018
      Another from Tatton Park, some good weather planned for this

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton Today, 11:25 AM Go to last post
      Steve Kaluski

In the tick of it...

Thread Starter: Steve Kaluski

Well here is a lonesome Musk Ox surrounded in the lovely Autumnal habitat, the colours were just changing which added a nice boost to the overall scene.

Last Post By: Steve Kaluski Today, 12:15 PM Go to last post
      Glenn Pure

My, what big teeth you have

Thread Starter: Glenn Pure

I haven't seen any hippo posts since becoming active on BPN - perhaps too common for most to bother with? I believe this one is giving us a threat

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton Today, 11:37 AM Go to last post
      Alex Becker

Puffin headshot

Thread Starter: Alex Becker

Hi all,

Another puffin frame from the Farne Islands. This one was hanging right near the boardwalk and didn't seem bothered by people walking

Last Post By: Bill Dix Today, 08:05 AM Go to last post
      Bob Smith

snow geese swirling in sunset sky

Thread Starter: Bob Smith

We have here on the west coast flyway the largest snow goose migration I've ever seen.This has been the case for the last few years and it is true

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Today, 12:14 AM Go to last post
      Tim Foltz

Black Phoebe

Thread Starter: Tim Foltz

Canon 1DMKIII • 500 mm • 1/1000 • f/4 • ISO 800 • handheld • manual

These are one of the most common and plentiful flycatchers in our area,

Last Post By: Bill Dix Today, 08:04 AM Go to last post
      Arthur Morris

Black Skimmer, winter adult on the edge of the surf

Thread Starter: Arthur Morris

This image was created at Fort DeSOto Park on the early morning of Sunday, October 15 with the hand held Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens

Last Post By: Arthur Morris Today, 09:01 AM Go to last post
      Mike Poole

Puffin against 'The Wick'

Thread Starter: Mike Poole

On Skomer Island, the classic place for photographing Puffins is at a location called 'The Wick' which is a cliff top where the backdrop

Last Post By: Bill Dix Today, 08:40 AM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Your Not Like Us...

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Last Post By: Joseph Przybyla Yesterday, 11:27 AM Go to last post
      Daniel Cadieux

Great Egret in Autumnal Setting.

Thread Starter: Daniel Cadieux

It's not everyday we see a Great Egret in such autumnal surroundings. I thought I'd show it small in the frame and let stand the beautiful fall foliage

Last Post By: Alex Becker Yesterday, 07:57 PM Go to last post
      Rachel Hollander

Lion Profile

Thread Starter: Rachel Hollander

I processed this one in Silver Efex a while ago. Taken on my 2016 trip to Tswalu. This is one of the 3 male youngsters.

Canon 5D3

Last Post By: Gabriela Plesea Today, 11:58 AM Go to last post
      Bill Dix

Glossy Ibis

Thread Starter: Bill Dix

From Ocean City Rookery in June. I didn't post this at the time, probably because the HA was less than ideal. But I liked the tapestry of colors when

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Yesterday, 11:56 PM Go to last post
      Giovanni Frescura

leaves

Thread Starter: Giovanni Frescura

Canon 1dx II
      Canon 70/200 is II
      1/4000
      f.2,8
      iso 200

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton Today, 11:42 AM Go to last post
      Michael Thompson

Sandhill Cranes in flight with the full moon

Thread Starter: Michael Thompson

I was tracking these cranes and hit the shutter when they flew past the moon. a bit far away, but I thought it might work for this theme. Canon , 7Dll

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Yesterday, 05:19 PM Go to last post
    Web Analytics