• Featured Articles RSS Feed

Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...
      by Published on 08-06-2012 07:27 AM

This post is derived from my web article: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/iso

What is ISO on a digital camera?

Reading manufacturer literature, review sites, and online discussions, one is led to believe that ISO changes sensitivity, and changes exposure. These ideas are both incorrect.

Myth #1: ISO changes sensitivity. False! Digital cameras have only one sensitivity, given by the quantum efficiency of the sensor, and the transmission of the optics and filters over the sensor. ISO is simply a post-sensor gain applied to the signal from the sensor.

Myth #2: ISO changes exposure. False! When you change ISO on a digital camera, two things are changed ...
      by Published on 08-02-2012 06:11 PM
      Article Preview

I have been wanting to build a floating hide for some time and over the past month or so have had this project going in my shed. After searching the internet, including BPN, I found little in the way of how to build one - I did find a video of a floating hide used for photography here http://vimeo.com/36899837 and I thank Sparky for answering an email as to how he built his hide and the materials used especially for the netting.

So I thought that the users of BPN may find this helpful.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    • Most Recent Threads

Juan Tolentino

Oystercatcher

Thread Starter: Juan Tolentino

I captured this image last year at Fort DeSoto Park, Florida, with the Nikon D750 Handheld and AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm 1-5.6E ED VR
      ISO 400

Last Post By: Juan Tolentino Yesterday, 08:31 PM Go to last post
      Melissa Usrey

Mandarin Duck at rest

Thread Starter: Melissa Usrey

Hi again - I've already learned so much from you so I'm posting another Mandarin duck photo I took last Saturday. I know that this

Last Post By: Melissa Usrey Yesterday, 06:47 PM Go to last post
      Tim Foltz

Spring Cacti

Thread Starter: Tim Foltz

Canon 1DX • 135mm • 1/250 • f/8 • ISO 500

From a couple of weeks ago at the "Huntington" is San Marino. CA.

Thanks

Last Post By: Tim Foltz Yesterday, 06:06 PM Go to last post
      Marlo Casabar

DPP 4 Workflow

Thread Starter: Marlo Casabar

Good afternoon everyone,

I have been using Arash Hazeghi's and Arthur Morris' book "The Photographer's Guide to Canon Digital Photo

Last Post By: arash_hazeghi Yesterday, 05:12 PM Go to last post
      Steve Kaluski

SEO

Thread Starter: Steve Kaluski

Another frame from the encounter I had with these guys. The RH eye (as view) was in heavy shade and so I have left it that way.

Steve

Last Post By: Steve Kaluski Today, 03:58 AM Go to last post
      Geoffrey Montagu

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Thread Starter: Geoffrey Montagu

This image was captured the other day at a local lake. It was late afternoon and overcast. Several years ago at the same location I was lucky enough to

Last Post By: Joe Subolefsky Yesterday, 06:32 PM Go to last post
      Bill Dix

Marsh Madness

Thread Starter: Bill Dix

More Great Egrets from Harns Marsh in February. (My apologies if I've used that title before.) This patch of marsh was crowded with Coots, Little Blue

Last Post By: Joseph Przybyla Yesterday, 04:48 PM Go to last post
      Michael Thompson

Bufflehead 2.0

Thread Starter: Michael Thompson

Here is my second frame of the Bufflehead drake with better lighting. Lake Harriet Minneapolis MN Canon 7D ll 100-400ll 1.4x lll, 1/2500 ss 520 mm, f8,

Last Post By: Joseph Przybyla Yesterday, 04:51 PM Go to last post
      Rachel Hollander

Uinta Ground Squirrel

Thread Starter: Rachel Hollander

Another one from near the Moulton Barns in Grand Teton N.P., Wyoming. As I said in my prior posts of these guys, unfortunately they don't come out until

Last Post By: keith mitchell Yesterday, 02:11 PM Go to last post
      keith mitchell

Theme Dropped it!

Thread Starter: keith mitchell

Red Squirrel.
      Nikon D4
      Nikon 3000mm 2.8
      iso 2000.

Not sure if I have posted this before if so sorry,cannot claim a lot

Last Post By: keith mitchell Yesterday, 02:09 PM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Great Blue Heron with Armoured Catfish...

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Last Post By: Michael Thompson Yesterday, 10:19 PM Go to last post
      Steve Kaluski

Yawning Lion

Thread Starter: Steve Kaluski

Following the theme of yawning lions, I though I would throw this one into the mix.

Steve

Subject: Lioness (Panthera

Last Post By: keith mitchell Yesterday, 02:13 PM Go to last post
      Joe Subolefsky

Woodies playing in the water colors

Thread Starter: Joe Subolefsky

Spent about every free minute the last month in a blind after wood ducks starting to edit some of the pixs.
      Thanks for any input and CC. Canon

Last Post By: William Dickson Yesterday, 11:31 AM Go to last post
      Tim Foltz

Nesting Brandt's Cormorant with Chicks

Thread Starter: Tim Foltz

Canon IDMK III • 500 mm • 1/2000 • f/5 • ISO 400 • handheld • manual

from a few years ago while shooting pelicans down south.

Last Post By: Joseph Przybyla Yesterday, 04:55 PM Go to last post
      Daniel Grossi

Male Wood Duck Profile

Thread Starter: Daniel Grossi

I think this is my favorite Wood Duck shot thus far. Light is far from perfect and the background is terribly busy. I'll get ya'll a better one

Last Post By: Daniel Grossi Yesterday, 07:49 PM Go to last post
    Web Analytics