• Featured Articles RSS Feed

Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...
      by Published on 08-06-2012 07:27 AM

This post is derived from my web article: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/iso

What is ISO on a digital camera?

Reading manufacturer literature, review sites, and online discussions, one is led to believe that ISO changes sensitivity, and changes exposure. These ideas are both incorrect.

Myth #1: ISO changes sensitivity. False! Digital cameras have only one sensitivity, given by the quantum efficiency of the sensor, and the transmission of the optics and filters over the sensor. ISO is simply a post-sensor gain applied to the signal from the sensor.

Myth #2: ISO changes exposure. False! When you change ISO on a digital camera, two things are changed ...
      by Published on 08-02-2012 06:11 PM
      Article Preview

I have been wanting to build a floating hide for some time and over the past month or so have had this project going in my shed. After searching the internet, including BPN, I found little in the way of how to build one - I did find a video of a floating hide used for photography here http://vimeo.com/36899837 and I thank Sparky for answering an email as to how he built his hide and the materials used especially for the netting.

So I thought that the users of BPN may find this helpful.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    • Most Recent Threads

Dave Richardson

Hello from England

Thread Starter: Dave Richardson

Having recently retired from sports photography I was looking for a lighter camera and one that could utilise my collection of Canon ef lenses. I decided

Last Post By: Dave Richardson Today, 08:29 AM Go to last post
      Gerald Kelberg

Theme: I don't do smiles!

Thread Starter: Gerald Kelberg

A very serious looking European Bison from our recent expedition to the wildest Netherlands.

Inspired by Steve's Lioness on a Mission, I

Last Post By: Gerald Kelberg Today, 05:22 AM Go to last post
      arash_hazeghi

Great Grey Owl in habitat

Thread Starter: arash_hazeghi

This image is from a few years ago when I photographed great grey owls with Daniel in Ottawa, it was a good trip!

1DX 300II

Last Post By: Tim Foltz Today, 12:20 AM Go to last post
      Tim Foltz

Allen's Hummingbird

Thread Starter: Tim Foltz

Canon 1DX • 700 mm • 1/2000 • f/6.3 • ISO 400 • handheld • manual

A little hummingbird resting on a wildflower posing for a picture.

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Today, 01:16 AM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Black-bellied Whistling Duck

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I captured this image recently at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Last Post By: Tim Foltz Today, 12:25 AM Go to last post
      haseeb badar

Shelter !

Thread Starter: haseeb badar

Hello everyone and thank you for all your comments and suggestions on my previous post .

Here is another BW Image, this time tried the conversion

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Today, 01:08 AM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

4 are better than one ... sometimes

Thread Starter: Andreas Liedmann

Hi folks i felt very happy to see all six calves that are born this year in Kraansvlak .
      We where looking intently for the herd , but did not find

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton Today, 04:51 AM Go to last post
      Gabriela Plesea

I Got Your Back, Mom.

Thread Starter: Gabriela Plesea

Dear Friends,

Hope you enjoy this, it is rather similar with another image I shared recently but a different pose from the cub. Taken at

Last Post By: Rachel Hollander Today, 08:43 AM Go to last post
      Rachel Hollander

Momma Bear

Thread Starter: Rachel Hollander

This is Aggro, the mother of the 3 one year old cubs. Here she relaxes a bit at the water's edge in the warm late afternoon light. The cubs were just

Last Post By: Rachel Hollander Today, 08:45 AM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Red deer stag

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II Auto ISO 1250 (+1/3), 1/1000 sec f5.6
      Portrait from landscape crop. I have based this processing on the feedback

Last Post By: haseeb badar Yesterday, 03:07 PM Go to last post
      Ian McLachlan

Two Lizards

Thread Starter: Ian McLachlan

This female Nankeen Kestrel our smallest falcon had just demanded this skink from her mate.
      The shadow was a bit lucky but

Last Post By: Ian McLachlan Yesterday, 04:30 AM Go to last post
      Krishna Prasad kotti

Female Mallard

Thread Starter: Krishna Prasad kotti

I tried to get right a sun angle and tried to create head portrait of the Mallard Duck. Pretty much a common Bird in Utah, USA for that matter.

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Today, 01:13 AM Go to last post
      Glenn Pure

White Rhinos

Thread Starter: Glenn Pure

Two rhinos in north eastern South Africa. I've gone for a higher contrast traditionally looking tonal range for this - and am still having a lot

Last Post By: Gerald Kelberg Today, 04:24 AM Go to last post
      Glenn Pure

Intermediate Egret

Thread Starter: Glenn Pure

This egret (which has a different gape to Great Egrets) was having a good shake and preen. Fine feather filaments are visible in the air around

Last Post By: Isaac Grant Yesterday, 06:51 PM Go to last post
      Vaughn Stamm

Double Crested Cormorant

Thread Starter: Vaughn Stamm

Double Crested Cormorant that surprised me coming out of the water as I was looking towards a Great Blue Heron farther down the shoreline in an oxbow

Last Post By: Tim Foltz Yesterday, 01:29 AM Go to last post
    Web Analytics