• Featured Articles RSS Feed

Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...
      by Published on 08-06-2012 07:27 AM

This post is derived from my web article: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/iso

What is ISO on a digital camera?

Reading manufacturer literature, review sites, and online discussions, one is led to believe that ISO changes sensitivity, and changes exposure. These ideas are both incorrect.

Myth #1: ISO changes sensitivity. False! Digital cameras have only one sensitivity, given by the quantum efficiency of the sensor, and the transmission of the optics and filters over the sensor. ISO is simply a post-sensor gain applied to the signal from the sensor.

Myth #2: ISO changes exposure. False! When you change ISO on a digital camera, two things are changed ...
      by Published on 08-02-2012 06:11 PM
      Article Preview

I have been wanting to build a floating hide for some time and over the past month or so have had this project going in my shed. After searching the internet, including BPN, I found little in the way of how to build one - I did find a video of a floating hide used for photography here http://vimeo.com/36899837 and I thank Sparky for answering an email as to how he built his hide and the materials used especially for the netting.

So I thought that the users of BPN may find this helpful.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    • Most Recent Threads

Mike Poole

Red Kite dorsal view

Thread Starter: Mike Poole

Another Red Kite from Wales. For me, these are a beautiful bird with great colourings, especially when they fan their tails right

Last Post By: Ashkan Ojaghi Today, 10:08 AM Go to last post
      Steve Kaluski

Gannet in flight

Thread Starter: Steve Kaluski

A very straight forward shot of a Gannet in flight, although I think it's gone passed to far to the left? Love the way they just catch the up draft and

Last Post By: Colin Driscoll Today, 06:48 AM Go to last post
      Allen Sparks

Monarch Butterfly

Thread Starter: Allen Sparks

Canon 7D2, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 1.4x TC III, 430 EX II Speedlite
      ISO 400, f14, 1/200s, fill flash, HH

Last Post By: Allen Sparks Today, 03:38 AM Go to last post
      Jay Ing

Common Tern

Thread Starter: Jay Ing

Yeah - finally got the kind of tern shot I've been seeking! :)
      Details: D500+Sigma 300/4 + 1.4 TC, 1/3200, 7.1, HH, slight canvas extension on bottom

Last Post By: Jay Ing Today, 01:46 AM Go to last post
      Colin Driscoll

Allofeeding

Thread Starter: Colin Driscoll

A pair of Red-rumped Parrots with the male feeding the female as a bonding activity technically a form of Allofeeding. They had been feeding on fruit

Last Post By: Colin Driscoll Today, 07:47 AM Go to last post
      Michael Thompson

Burrowing owl with big eyes!

Thread Starter: Michael Thompson

A Burrowing Owl in Cape Coral FL, looking me over this springCanon 7D ll, 100-400ll at 400mm f5.6 1/200 sec, monopod, 1250 iso.

Last Post By: Steve Kaluski Today, 08:50 AM Go to last post
      Juan Tolentino

Egyptian Goose Portrait

Thread Starter: Juan Tolentino

I captured this image in Key Biscayne, Florida, with the Nikon D500 Handheld and AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm 1-5.6E ED VR

ISO 400
      f5.6

Last Post By: Steve Kaluski Today, 05:30 AM Go to last post
      Tim Foltz

Wood Duck Hen

Thread Starter: Tim Foltz

Canon 1Dx • 700 mm • 1/1600 • f/6.3 • ISO 500 • handheld • manual

Every winter we might get a few Wood Ducks in our area, here is a cooperative

Last Post By: Colin Driscoll Today, 12:54 AM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Green Heron

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I captured this image of a Green Heron yesterday morning at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated.

Last Post By: Mike Poole Today, 07:59 AM Go to last post
      Steve Maxson

Spider molt

Thread Starter: Steve Maxson

This is the empty exoskeleton from a spider that has molted so it can grow to a larger size. It is dangling from a single strand of silk. Canon 1DX, 100mm

Last Post By: Allen Sparks Today, 03:42 AM Go to last post
      Douglas Bolt

Mana Pools elephant

Thread Starter: Douglas Bolt

Canon 7D2, 100-400 II@5.6, ISO 1600, 1/1250s. PP: define, curves.

Love the Mana Pools light. Beautiful place. Hope this image captured

Last Post By: Mike Poole Today, 08:04 AM Go to last post
      Jay Ing

American Avocet in Flight

Thread Starter: Jay Ing

One from today. Got a bit past me. Don't think I nailed focus. But, I still like it in many ways.

Last Post By: Mike Poole Today, 08:00 AM Go to last post
      Glenn Pure

Satin Bowerbird

Thread Starter: Glenn Pure

Portrait of an immature male Satin Bowerbird showing off his remarkable violet/blue eye colour (birds of both sexes have eyes this colour).

Last Post By: Ákos Lumnitzer Today, 06:07 AM Go to last post
      Glenn Pure

Spotted Hyena cubs

Thread Starter: Glenn Pure

A nice cute shot of some hyena cubs, taken soon after dawn. There were 9 cubs in total and 3 of different ages are shown in this shot. Luckily

Last Post By: Mike Poole Today, 08:08 AM Go to last post
      Juan Tolentino

Herring Gull Preening

Thread Starter: Juan Tolentino

I captured this image in Key Biscayne, Florida, with the Nikon D500 Handheld and AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm 1-5.6E ED VR

ISO 1250
      f6.3

Last Post By: Steve Kaluski Today, 05:47 AM Go to last post
    Web Analytics