• Featured Articles RSS Feed

Published on 10-13-2012 01:32 PM
      Article Preview

This is the assembled Lens Align Mark II. Thanks to Michael Tapes for the image.

Why Micro-adjust?

It’s simple. While the images made with most rigs are sharp, in many cases, they will be that much sharper with more fine detail once a given camera body/lens or camera body/TC/lens combination has been properly micro-adjusted. While some of my rigs are spot on, others have needed front- or back-focusing corrections as high as +/- 12 units.

The Lens Align Mk II; Micro-adjusting Magic

Ever since the introduction of digital camera bodies that feature micro-adjustments for individual lenses, folks--including me--have been searching for a quick, easy way to make those micro-adjustments. When I was working on the 7D and the Mark IV User's Guides, I worked hard on developing a make-it-yourself cardboard rig that was a big improvement on the original version. But in reality, it did not offer the needed precision. And in addition to the extremely low cost, the rig took up lots of space--heck, it was huge, and using it was tedious.
      Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...
      by Published on 08-06-2012 07:27 AM

This post is derived from my web article: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/iso

What is ISO on a digital camera?

Reading manufacturer literature, review sites, and online discussions, one is led to believe that ISO changes sensitivity, and changes exposure. These ideas are both incorrect.

Myth #1: ISO changes sensitivity. False! Digital cameras have only one sensitivity, given by the quantum efficiency of the sensor, and the transmission of the optics and filters over the sensor. ISO is simply a post-sensor gain applied to the signal from the sensor.

Myth #2: ISO changes exposure. False! When you change ISO on a digital camera, two things are changed ...

Page 7 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    • Most Recent Threads

Saeid Heidari-Soureshjani

Butterfly

Thread Starter: Saeid Heidari-Soureshjani

I take this photo with Canon 700D+Canon 55-250mm (handheld, with M mode and manual focus) in Iran-Isfahan
      ISO 400, f 10, s 1/250, 250mm

Last Post By: Saeid Heidari-Soureshjani Today, 05:07 AM Go to last post

Blue rock trush

I take this photo with Canon 7D Mark II+400 f5.6 in Iran-Chahrmahal and bakhtiari province
      Time: 9 Am
      ISO 800, f 8, s 2500

Last Post By: Saeid Heidari-Soureshjani Today, 04:32 AM Go to last post
      kevin Hice

Black Billed Magpie

Thread Starter: kevin Hice

I shot this magpie off of a road hit deer. Canon 5D Mark 1V, Manual exposure. Processed DPP 4,Photoshop,levels,sharpen used patch tool to take out a few

Last Post By: kevin Hice Yesterday, 11:56 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

Hairy Woodpecker

Thread Starter: John Mack

From a feeder setup. Background is snow. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIII

Last Post By: John Mack Yesterday, 02:44 PM Go to last post
      Rachel Hollander

YOUR BEST/FAVORITE IMAGE OF 2017

Thread Starter: Rachel Hollander

In keeping with tradition, it's time for me to start the annual thread showcasing everyone's favorite image of the year. Let's reflect back on the past

Last Post By: Rachel Hollander Yesterday, 07:18 PM Go to last post
      Mitch Carucci

Holiday Greetings

Thread Starter: Mitch Carucci

Best Wishes for all the Holidays!

Last Post By: Mitch Carucci Yesterday, 12:12 PM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Black Skimmer

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton Yesterday, 02:44 PM Go to last post
      Jay Shah

Road Runner

Thread Starter: Jay Shah

The image was made at Martin Refuge, Texas. Like most people, square crop is not my favourite, but for this image, it seemed optimal.

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton Yesterday, 02:36 PM Go to last post
      Stu Bowie

Malachite Kingfisher

Thread Starter: Stu Bowie

This Malachite Kingfisher was diving off to fish and returning to this perch for quite a while. This was the lowest angle possible as it was captured

Last Post By: John Mack Yesterday, 02:34 PM Go to last post
      Stu Bowie

JANUARY THEME - EYE LEVEL/LOW ANGLE

Thread Starter: Stu Bowie

January's theme will be capturing images at eye level, or low angled shots. With regards to eye level shots, the subject can be perched or flying, and

Last Post By: Stu Bowie Yesterday, 03:50 AM Go to last post

Butterfly

I take this photo with Canon 700D+Canon 55-250mm (handheld, with M mode and manual focus) in Iran-Isfahan
      ISO 800, f 11, s 1250, 250mm

Last Post By: Saeid Heidari-Soureshjani Yesterday, 11:43 PM Go to last post

Great cormorant

I take this photo with Canon 7D Mark II+400 f5.6 in Iran-Chahrmahal and bakhtiari province
      Time: 9 Am
      ISO 640, f 7.1, s 4000

Last Post By: Saeid Heidari-Soureshjani Yesterday, 11:33 PM Go to last post
      Krishna Prasad kotti

American Oystercatcher foraging

Thread Starter: Krishna Prasad kotti

This image was taken in Nickerson Beach, Ny earlier in the Year.

I captured multiple image with American Oystercatcher foraging in

Last Post By: Krishna Prasad kotti Yesterday, 07:23 PM Go to last post
      Jay Ing

American Pelicans in Flight - Origami Sky

Thread Starter: Jay Ing

Caught the lovely sight of a host of American Pelicans doing a circle dance... just a thing of beauty.
      Details: D500, Sigma 500/4, ISO 360, 1/3200,

Last Post By: John Mack Yesterday, 02:30 PM Go to last post
      Isaac Grant

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Thread Starter: Isaac Grant

These little bird are abundant in NY in the fall. On certain days they are literally everywhere. Getting them to sit still and pose is not so easy. This

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton Today, 03:14 AM Go to last post
    Web Analytics