• Featured Articles RSS Feed

Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...
      by Published on 08-06-2012 07:27 AM

This post is derived from my web article: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/iso

What is ISO on a digital camera?

Reading manufacturer literature, review sites, and online discussions, one is led to believe that ISO changes sensitivity, and changes exposure. These ideas are both incorrect.

Myth #1: ISO changes sensitivity. False! Digital cameras have only one sensitivity, given by the quantum efficiency of the sensor, and the transmission of the optics and filters over the sensor. ISO is simply a post-sensor gain applied to the signal from the sensor.

Myth #2: ISO changes exposure. False! When you change ISO on a digital camera, two things are changed ...
      by Published on 08-02-2012 06:11 PM
      Article Preview

I have been wanting to build a floating hide for some time and over the past month or so have had this project going in my shed. After searching the internet, including BPN, I found little in the way of how to build one - I did find a video of a floating hide used for photography here http://vimeo.com/36899837 and I thank Sparky for answering an email as to how he built his hide and the materials used especially for the netting.

So I thought that the users of BPN may find this helpful.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    • Most Recent Threads

greg cowle

Royal penguin

Thread Starter: greg cowle

Royal penguin marching up a stony section of Sandy Bay on Macquarie Island (Aust.), where the royal penguin is endemic.
      Canon 1DXII and 400/2.8,

Last Post By: greg cowle Yesterday, 10:21 PM Go to last post
      gail bisson

White morph Reddish Egret

Thread Starter: gail bisson

I was going through some old files from Florida last year and found this.
      Canon 1DX
      600mm
      SS 1/2500 f7.1 ISO 500
      PP-Crop to 80%FF.

Last Post By: gail bisson Yesterday, 06:38 PM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Tri-colored Heron

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I captured this image along Black Point Wildlife Drive in Merritt Island NWR, Merritt Island, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated.

Last Post By: Joseph Przybyla Yesterday, 07:08 PM Go to last post
      Marc Mol

Lioness @ golden hour

Thread Starter: Marc Mol

A lioness surveys a golden hour morning from the shoulder of a termite mound.

Mbiza- Hwange NP, Zimbabwe.

Bean bag- front pax

Last Post By: Marc Mol Yesterday, 04:50 PM Go to last post
      Stu Bowie

NOVEMBER THEME - SHORE BIRDS

Thread Starter: Stu Bowie

November's theme will be Shore Birds. Any of our feathered friends that like spending time down at the waters edge. Lets see them enjoying time in water,

Last Post By: Stu Bowie Yesterday, 02:17 PM Go to last post
      Bill Dix

Virginia Rail

Thread Starter: Bill Dix

The light had faded, but we stubbornly waited for a Sora to appear in a small marshy area in Cape May. I noticed some movement to my left, and immediately

Last Post By: gail bisson Yesterday, 06:20 PM Go to last post
      Alex Becker

Northern Harrier

Thread Starter: Alex Becker

Hi all,

Looks like northern harriers are back in some of our local parks so I went looking for them yesterday. Last year I spent many freezing

Last Post By: gail bisson Yesterday, 06:23 PM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Red deer stag

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

Canon 1DX Canon 500mm F4 L IS ISO 1250, 1/1000 sec f5.6
      ACR PSCC

This stag was bellowing in all directions though there was not much

Last Post By: John Mack Yesterday, 06:54 PM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

European Bison on ridge

Thread Starter: Andreas Liedmann

Hi folks back to the Bisons ..
      Found the herd luckily one nice morning close to the path , where the visitors have to stay . Well i went a tiny

Last Post By: Marc Mol Yesterday, 04:53 PM Go to last post
      Colin Driscoll

Rainbow Bee-eater

Thread Starter: Colin Driscoll

1DXII 400mm F/2.8L II & 2XIII 1/1000 f8 iso800
      Cropped & slight sharpening in PS2017 NR to background

Last Post By: gail bisson Yesterday, 06:25 PM Go to last post
      Paul Kammen

Sunrise at Hollow Rock

Thread Starter: Paul Kammen

Thanks for any feedback. Wasn't sure how much to adjust the sky and bring it down or enhance for contrast. This is along Lake Superior here in Minnesota,

Last Post By: Paul Kammen 10-16-2017, 10:16 PM Go to last post
      Juan Tolentino

Crested Caracara

Thread Starter: Juan Tolentino

Lifer for me, I was really looking forward to find and photograph a Crested Caracara since I've tried at the same location before with no luck. It happened

Last Post By: gail bisson Yesterday, 06:28 PM Go to last post
      Glenn Pure

Egret

Thread Starter: Glenn Pure

This is most likely a Great Egret but hard to be sure from this distance. Photographed in failing late light on Lake Curalo in southern coastal

Last Post By: gail bisson Yesterday, 06:43 PM Go to last post
      William Dickson

Red Grouse

Thread Starter: William Dickson

Canon 1DX
      f/4 500mm with 1.4
      f/5.6
      1/1600
      ISO 1000

I had another early trip up to the Glen in Perthshire last week,

Last Post By: gail bisson Yesterday, 06:32 PM Go to last post
      Geoffrey Montagu

Sanderling

Thread Starter: Geoffrey Montagu

Captured this image on recent trip to Cape May, NJ. We encountered quite a few shorebirds this overcast afternoon. I tried my hand at capturing these

Last Post By: gail bisson Yesterday, 06:44 PM Go to last post
    Web Analytics