• Featured Articles RSS Feed

Published on 09-18-2012 10:19 PM
      Article Preview

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.
      I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, ...
      by Published on 08-06-2012 07:27 AM

This post is derived from my web article: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/iso

What is ISO on a digital camera?

Reading manufacturer literature, review sites, and online discussions, one is led to believe that ISO changes sensitivity, and changes exposure. These ideas are both incorrect.

Myth #1: ISO changes sensitivity. False! Digital cameras have only one sensitivity, given by the quantum efficiency of the sensor, and the transmission of the optics and filters over the sensor. ISO is simply a post-sensor gain applied to the signal from the sensor.

Myth #2: ISO changes exposure. False! When you change ISO on a digital camera, two things are changed ...
      by Published on 08-02-2012 06:11 PM
      Article Preview

I have been wanting to build a floating hide for some time and over the past month or so have had this project going in my shed. After searching the internet, including BPN, I found little in the way of how to build one - I did find a video of a floating hide used for photography here http://vimeo.com/36899837 and I thank Sparky for answering an email as to how he built his hide and the materials used especially for the netting.

So I thought that the users of BPN may find this helpful.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    • Most Recent Threads

Steve Kaluski

Shag - Feeding time

Thread Starter: Steve Kaluski

I assume the Shag must have some reflex action that allows the chick to delve deeply to retrieve the meal inside????

Thanks for the comments

Last Post By: Steve Kaluski Today, 09:23 AM Go to last post
      John Mack

Great Blue Heron

Thread Starter: John Mack

Watched this heron try to eat this catfish for about half an hour. When it first caught the catfish two bald eagles kept trying to steal it. After they

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 09:02 AM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Northern Mockingbird

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I captured this image from inside the vehicle driving along Black Point Wildlife Drive in Merritt Island NWR, Merritt Island, Florida. Comments and critique

Last Post By: Joseph Przybyla Today, 08:22 AM Go to last post
      arash_hazeghi

Last year's fledgings

Thread Starter: arash_hazeghi

with all the great recent peregrine posts couldn't help but post this image from last year in SoCal. This young falcon now probably has its own nest somewhere

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 06:54 AM Go to last post
      Krishna Prasad kotti

Looking for Advice

Thread Starter: Krishna Prasad kotti

Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this questions.

I am going to Glacier National Park Montana this

Last Post By: Krishna Prasad kotti Yesterday, 10:53 PM Go to last post
      Kambiz Shoarinejad

White-Faced Ibis in Flight...

Thread Starter: Kambiz Shoarinejad

A White-faced Ibis frame from a couple of months ago... Would appreciate any C&C...

Nikon D4, 600mm f/4G, f/5.6, 1/2500sec, ISO 3600

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 06:57 AM Go to last post
      Bill Dix

Another American Oystercatcher

Thread Starter: Bill Dix

This guy was bathing in the tidal marsh, but was unfortunately obscured by a clump of vegetation, so I missed the bathing shot. When he finished, he

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 06:52 AM Go to last post
      Alex Becker

Three bunnies

Thread Starter: Alex Becker

Hi all,

Here are some bunnies I found on a very rainy and cloudy day. These guys hunkered down under a tree with mom nearby. I didn't want

Last Post By: Steve Kaluski Today, 09:08 AM Go to last post
      Mike Hitchen

Bald eagle - and environmental portrait

Thread Starter: Mike Hitchen

This is a shot from several years ago at Knight's Inlet in the BC fords when out on a skiff watching bears. The ever-present rain added a blur to the

Last Post By: arash_hazeghi Today, 02:33 AM Go to last post
      Alex Becker

Piping Plover Chick

Thread Starter: Alex Becker

Hi all,

Another piping plover chick from Sandy Hook, NJ taken pretty soon after sunrise. Finally got one with the sun pretty much directly

Last Post By: Arthur Morris Today, 02:14 AM Go to last post
      Sanjeev Aurangabadkar

Smack down!

Thread Starter: Sanjeev Aurangabadkar

A lioness & cub playing around at the Mara, as if to discipline the little one!
      7D II
      100-400 II @ 241mm
      1/2000
      f/6.3

Last Post By: Steve Kaluski Today, 07:17 AM Go to last post
      John Mack

Baltimore Checkerspot

Thread Starter: John Mack

Managed to get some ok frames of this butterfly after chasing one around for about half an hour. Image adjustments in Lightroom. Hand held, full frame.

Last Post By: John Mack Yesterday, 12:57 PM Go to last post
      William Dickson

Lapwing

Thread Starter: William Dickson

Canon 1DX
      f/4 500mm
      f/8
      1/2000
      ISO 800

Another from my trip to Cairngorm, last weekend. I was happy to get close

Last Post By: Arthur Morris Yesterday, 07:04 PM Go to last post
      Tomasz Zawadzki

Savi's warbler

Thread Starter: Tomasz Zawadzki

Taken with:
      Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
      EF600mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III
      ƒ/7.1
      1/1250
      ISO 1600

I wonder what you

Last Post By: Arthur Morris Yesterday, 07:08 PM Go to last post
      Krishna Prasad kotti

Willet at Antelope Island

Thread Starter: Krishna Prasad kotti

Hi All,

This image was taken at Antelope Island Causeway couple of months ago. I stayed low so that I could get some blue color at the

Last Post By: Arthur Morris Yesterday, 07:39 PM Go to last post
    Web Analytics