PDA

View Full Version : Mama, Will You Let Me In?

Melissa Groo
06-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Canon 1D4
500mm +1.4x
Skimmer Pod

1/1250 sec
f/5.6
ISO 800

From last weekend, north shore of Massachusetts, Milicia's Shoot the Light workshop. I observed a couple piping plover chicks do this as they would come up to their mother to nestle under her, they would touch their beak to hers, as if to beseech her to make room (that is of course completely my imagination, I could be totally off). I was glad to capture one of those instances. The sweetness of these chicks won my heart. Do wish I could see its little feet.
This is about a 40% crop. Some sharpening, NR of BG. Cloned out a couple blobs.
Thank you in advance for any comments and critiques.
PS there is already a chick or two underneath this mom here.

Grace Scalzo
06-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Just adorable. Has a wonderful softness and sweetness to it. Personally I do not miss the feet....looks like he's standing on a pillow. Mike did a nice job finding a clean beach with nice subjects.

dankearl
06-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Sweet image, I do sort of wish for feet here, the DOF stop is pretty abrupt.
The exposure is really good, sharpness and muted color is very nice.

Marina Scarr
06-22-2012, 09:00 PM
What a super intimate moment captured here. It's amazing the scenarios that go through our heads as we are watching and photographing the various behaviors. You don't have to worry about the chick's feet here b/c the emphasis is on the beaks touching. You must have been tickled pink when you depressed the shutter for this gem!

Ishmeet Sahni
06-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Its an adorable image. I agree with Dan, the DOF is a bit abrupt, otherwise is a brilliant image.

Arno Ellmer
06-22-2012, 11:09 PM
A beautiful,soft and intimate moment in nature captured here,Melissa.I love the soft complementary bg and the good HA of both birds.

Lorant Voros
06-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Very sweet and intimate. Nice interaction, eye contact and BG. TFS.

christopher galeski
06-23-2012, 02:00 AM
agree on whats been said,beautiful image,well done.

PhilCook
06-23-2012, 03:49 AM
Very nice, a perfect moment caught, slightly more dof may of helped get both mum and bub in better /uniform focus but it's one heck of a sweet shot Melissa

Ofer Levy
06-23-2012, 05:47 AM
Such a lovely moment captured beautifully. Here it is with some more processing and a tighter crop. What do you think?

Melissa Groo
06-23-2012, 06:21 AM
I like what you've done a lot, Ofer. You've really made it jump out much more. I assume you increased the black point, or adjusted Curves or Levels to increase contrast? Thank you for taking the time, and to everyone for your helpful comments.

Ofer Levy
06-23-2012, 06:49 AM
Pleased you like it Melissa! I don't have a fixed workflow but I have used levels, some colour saturation, contrast, brightness, colour balance. I worked selectively to make sure I don't burn the white. Try to get to the desired result starting from the RAW if you are not happy - please send me a PM and we'll go from there.

Rachel Hollander
06-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Melissa - tender moment and Ofer's repost has, as you said, given it a bit more pop and depth.

TFS,
Rachel

rajojomanik
06-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Story well told between mother and child. Cute, adorable and very intimate.

rajandesai
06-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Sweet capture Melissa. Its okay to be non-traditional sometimes - blocked feet are just fine with this capture. This capture really tells the story... I really liked it.
Rajan

gail bisson
06-23-2012, 06:06 PM
I really like the moment captured and the "kiss". Ofer's repost really punches the image up a lot. I cannot help but smile when I see this. Would look great printed up for a baby's room.
Will apply Ofer's tips to my images.
Gail

Robert Holguin
06-24-2012, 02:28 AM
Beautiful moment captured. I really love the interaction, exposed very well, excellent details, and Ofer's repost really took it to another level.
Very well done.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
06-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Sweet as it get Melissa. Great job on this. I am sorry to say we may have NO chicks left at all after all this unbelievable rain.

Kiran Poonacha
06-25-2012, 03:47 AM
Such a beautiful story telling image this Mellissa, loved it...