PDA

View Full Version : Calling Red-necked Grebe

Jeff Dyck
06-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Here's a theme submission. I purchased a kayak recently and have been doing a bit of shooting from out on the water. There are a many Rednecked Grebes currently nesting on the Eagle River near my home in Dryden - the river sees a lot of powerboat traffic so the birds seem very tolerant of my kayak.

Canon 1DIV -- Canon 800mm F5.6L IS -- 1/500 @ f/5.6 -- ISO400 -- Manual Exposure

Randy Stout
06-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Jeff:

You are a brave man to take that rig into a kayak. The result however was great! Nice shooting angle,sharp, well exposed, pleasant BG, great pose!

I might soften the reed coming right out of the head with the clone stamp.

Congrats

Cheers

randy

Andrew Merwin
06-22-2012, 02:33 PM
A consummate capture. I agree with Randy re. the reed. TFS. How did you support the camera & 800 or did you HH?

Jeff Dyck
06-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks Randy & Andrew. After much research, the kayak I purchased was a Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 Solo - I purchased it with photography in mind (Native's website (http://www.nativewatercraft.com/boat.cfm?id=6)actually has a section on using their boats for photography). The Ultimate is a very stable fishing kayak with a "tunnel hull" design (if you look from the end when the boat is sitting on the ground the is a large tunnel right down the middle of the underside of the boat) - it is more like a canoe-kayak hybrid. While it is very stable, it is definitely not going to win any races! With the open design, I am able to set up the camera on a tripod in front of me - I use an old "shorty" model Gitzo Studex with the legs splayed to the middle position (and the two rear legs tucked under my knees for stability) to get the camera as low as I can comfortably shoot - I usually have it set up so I bend heavily forward to put my eye to the camera - this allows me to get the camera as low as possible while maintaining some room for the paddle in front of me (this however, makes shooting anything more than a couple feet above the water near to impossible). The tripod is really nice if you have to frequently reposition the boat but you are pretty much limited to shooting directly over the front of the boat give or take 10 or 15 degrees either way because of the swing of the back end of the camera. I also frequently shoot hand-held, usually off of one of my knees. When I am not shooting, I stow the entire rig into a (huge) duffle-style dry bag between my legs - the bag is excessively large because of my need to get the length, but I am currently working with a custom dry-bag builder on a made-to-measure bag specifically for this purpose.

Joe Senzatimore
06-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Much thought went into this setup , and with images like this , it has paid off big time. Love the light. Ditto on the reed.

laurie golden
06-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Great light and low angle. Makes me want to go out and buy a boat.

jack williamson
06-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Excellent IQ, love the calling pose with the tongue showing, colors and bg are great. The clone suggestion by Randy is right on, that spot is definately an eye draw.

Jack

Rachel Hollander
06-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Great light, pov, HA, detail and overall IQ. Thanks for describing your set-up in detail.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew Merwin
06-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Great light and low angle. Makes me want to go out and buy a boat.

Me too. Jeff, thanks for the explanation.

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Jeff, great shot. the subject angle, the calling pose, the habitat...superb low shooting and light angles. really liked this one. If you have more room there in the orig, I'd suggest adding a tad at top.

Dave Leroy
06-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Lovely shot. Excellent low angle and all the habitat really works for me. I might tone down the few very bright spots on the breast and reflection.
Your investment has already started to pay dividends.

Ishmeet Sahni
06-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Jeff, obviously you have a lot of thought and done a lot of research in buying and shooting with your Kayak. I still feel you are
a brave man. There isn't anything left for me to say about your image, it has all been said already. I would just like to say, ITS BRILLIANT.

Ofer Levy
06-22-2012, 11:01 PM
This is a really excellent shot!! Love it!

Arno Ellmer
06-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Stunning capture,Jeff . The low perspective and Ha captured here make this image something special.Cloning out the bg reeds will greatly improve an already great shot.
Also very impressed by your kayak setup and dedication. As they say : the more you put in ,the more you get out. I am sure there are many more superb oppotunities waiting out there with this set up.

Sidharth Kodikal
06-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Brilliant image, Jeff. Pose, habitat, bird placement, light, all excellent. Looking forward to more from your kayak.

Shawn Zierman
06-26-2012, 03:05 AM
Outstanding image. Easily one of the best red necked grebe (in habitat) images I've ever seen. The calling pose is really dynamic.

arash_hazeghi
06-26-2012, 03:31 AM
sweet pose details and light. lovely TFS excellent work