PDA

View Full Version : Mistletoebird - female

Chris Martinez
06-22-2012, 03:07 AM
Dicaeum hirundinaceum

Brisbane - QLD - AUS.

1D4, 600mm IS, 1.4x II, Tripod.

ISO 800, f/7.1, 1/1600, -0.67 EC, Evaluative Metering, Aperture Priority.

Crop, Sharpen. Removed small portion of branch/vine.

This little lady had just finished bathing amongst dew covered leaves and decided to dry her feathers in the warm early morning sun. She sat here for one whole minute :eek3: The joys of photographing small birds during winter :w3

gail bisson
06-22-2012, 04:28 AM
Pretty bird on a stick!
Good BG and diagonal line. Nice HA and dorsal view.
At first glance I thought that was blood on the rump!

PhilCook
06-22-2012, 06:29 AM
I still haven' managed a decent image of a female of this species, always seem to find the males instead.

Nice diagonals and fine detail on the feathers standing out from the body, but a little soft on the back....maybe dof a tad shallow. I'd be trying to clone out the yellowish band on the top to give a more uniform backdrop, but maybe difficult.

Has a rather nice peaceful feel to this image, a little melancholy maybe...nice work Chris

Randy Stout
06-22-2012, 06:59 AM
Chris:

She does look a bit introspective. Like the angled perch. She could use a bit more USM to my eye.

The yellow band on top could be easily smoothed with clone stamp set at 30%, sample off the green, and gently work over the transition area in a random pattern.

Cheers

Randy

Rachel Hollander
06-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Nice light and pose. Agree on a little more sharpening.

TFS,
Rachel

Stu Bowie
06-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Hi Chris, I like the 'scruffy' look on this lady, together with the semi look down pose. Blending in the top part of the BG will work.:w3

Chris Martinez
06-23-2012, 05:05 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts folks :S3:

I do agree a little BG work would improve things.