PDA

View Full Version : Very Small Waterfall

Harold Brewer
01-05-2008, 09:25 AM
I took this image in the Rocky Mtn. National Park 2 years ago. This was my fist attempt at doing some waterfalls. I was trying to see how slow shutter speeds worked on the moving water.

ISO 200 30MM LENS
SHUTTER SPEED 0.8 SEC.
F20
SHOT WITH A CANON DIGITAL REBEL

Robert Amoruso
01-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Harold,

I think you hit upon the correct shutter speed for this particular scene. That is just the amount of silky flow I like for this type of image. You are right that it is best to experiment with the shutter speed.

You could improve the composition by moving to the left and getting the OOF rock (lower right) and branches (right) out of the image as it does not strengthen it. You didn't mention the f/stop but if you have near and far elements in the image, go as small on the f/stop as possible still getting the shutter speeds you need.

Jason Hahn
01-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Nice job with the technicals, but the composition could be a little stronger for me too. I like the different elements you have in the scene, but I would have considered moving around a bit if possible to to find a better balance between them For example, if it was possible to shoot this from the left bank of the waterfall so you were using the tree not as a foreground element but as a background to frame the waterfall. Lots of possibilities on this stream, hope to see more from your visit there.

Jason