PDA

View Full Version : Loonapaloosa #2 - common loon - calling pose theme

Randy Stout
06-21-2012, 08:02 PM
This common loon adult was imaged in northern Michigan last week. I had witnessed this rather dramatic pose a number of times, but wasn't really happy with my images. This one seems to capture it a bit better.
One of those funny times when you have to make the best of a silly mistake. I had just arrived in the area earlier in the day, and drove 1 1/2 hours to get to this lake. I had quickly unloaded my truck at the cottage before blasting off, and only realized later that I had unloaded my wimberley and left it at the cottage! Ouch. Hand holding a 600 with a right angle finder isn't very easy, but I did my best.

D4 600VR f/4 1/2000s iso 320 Hand held from my little boat, Loonie Too.

Post: CS5 selective sharpening, modest tonal contrast adjustment in ColorEfex. cropped about 20% for comp.

Advice and comments always appreciated

Cheers

Randy

allanrube
06-21-2012, 08:22 PM
I like the call and the upturned head. Excellent shot and pp too.

Randy, how do you manage to handhold that combo in a boat????????

Lorant Voros
06-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Nice calling pose of this beautiful bird. like the low angle and the composition.

gail bisson
06-22-2012, 04:41 AM
You definitely get bonus points for HH a 600mm on a boat!!
The low POV is good. Awesome behavior shot. Nice view of the throat markings.
I am your #1 fan when it comes to your loon images but I'm not loving this one. At first I wasn't sure why. I think it is the color of the head in this light and the loss of the neck curve that is throwing me off. I also wish I could see the eye a bit more fully.
Gail

Ofer Levy
06-22-2012, 05:17 AM
Interesting pose and great work getting this sharp with a 600mm HH from a boat!!!:Whoa!:

Tom Rambaut
06-22-2012, 05:23 AM
I know how he feels - I had one of those weeks too.

Randy Stout
06-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments.

I ended up sitting in the bottom of the boat and rested the rig on the top of my knees. Pretty wobbly, but got better with a little practice. A challenge to keep things level! But I didn't want to waste my trip for nothing.

Gail- I appreciate your honest opinion on this one. I have thousands of perfectly nice conventional loon poses, so am always looking for a different pose/activity or lighting situation. Sometimes it works to go for the unconventional, sometimes it doesn't :S3:

But I will keep trying as I get easily bored!

Cheers

Randy

Rachel Hollander
06-22-2012, 06:54 AM
Very impressive for hh 600 in a boat. Interesting behavior and pose too.

TFS,
Rachel

Grace Scalzo
06-22-2012, 09:29 AM
I saw this one last pm and wanted to look at it again with fresh eyes and head. While everything technically is your usual top-notch, I'm just not loving this one. I think I'm missing the full eye. But certainly one to keep.

Ishmeet Sahni
06-22-2012, 09:40 AM
I agree with Racheal, very impressive shooting......

rajandesai
06-22-2012, 10:18 AM
I on the other hand really like this unconventional pose. Must be fun to watch this behavior. I think you can play with different crop... may be little centered or even putting eye/head on the right 1/3rd line... just a thought.

600mm HH from a boat - kudos to you for trying (and succeeding) in saving your day.

Stu Bowie
06-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Hi Randy, tack sharp, and Im fine with the eye, as this is a behavioural shot, thus the subject is enjoying the moment. :w3 I really like how you have exposed the different colours on the neck, and how we can see the inside of the bill. Maybe Ive had a long day and week, but I can see a bit of noise in the BG. Well done for HH your 600 in your boat - impressive. :w3

Daniel Cadieux
06-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Neat behaviour, not one we see often in photographs. Techs perfect, and well done forging ahead handhel. I'm with some of the others in regards to the eye...although the overall pose is quite engaging I wish we had a better angle on the eye (I think it is because the pupil is hidden that it throws me off here).

Kiran Poonacha
06-22-2012, 12:49 PM
The pose really works well to make this frame look great Randy.. cheers..

Robert Holguin
06-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Very nice shot. I really like the pose as its not the usual. Great low angle and light.
Well done.