PDA

View Full Version : Young Quails

Robert Holguin
06-21-2012, 02:58 AM
Hello everyone. I spotted this two little fellows away from the pack. I have tried to get pics before, but they are just to fast. These two seemed lost and stood for a while before finding their momma.
I removed a rock that was covering a leg on the right bird. I copied the other right leg and tried my best to replace the missing leg.
Nikon 300s l Nikon 300F4 w/ 1.7 tc l 1/1250 l F8 l ISO 640 l Multi Segment l Manual.

gail bisson
06-21-2012, 06:41 AM
Excellent PP work.I can't tell which leg you fixed!
This image would have been over the top had you been able to get higher and show the feet and the tail of the left hand bird.
I would tone down the rock with a bit of burning and sharpen the face of the left bird a bit more.
Well done to get 2 in the frame. I love the little crests-so cute,
Gail

Stu Bowie
06-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Hi Robert, great double, and I like the different HA's from both Quails - both inquisitive. No doubt standing higher may have chased them away, so showing the feet would have put this up a notch higher. I do like the detail and sharpness on the RH Quail, ( where you focussed :w3 ) and F/8 nearly had the LH Quail as sharp as his mate. The central placement works well, and agree with Gail to tone down the FG rocks.

Daniel Cadieux
06-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Great to have the two of them together here! I'm with Gail about having seen the quails' feet, not much you could do except go higher and risk spooking them away. Excellent fix of the leg as I never would have known. Only one suggestion for that would be to slightly blur the rock line near those legs as it is sharper and more defined than the rest of the rock's outline. I would also try to sharpen the right bird a bit more as it seems, to my eye, to be ever so slightly out of DOF range (when compared to the other guy).

Frank Schauf
06-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Really great pose.

Rachel Hollander
06-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Great pp work on the reconstructed leg. Nice dof to get both in focus and a treat to see 2. I agree getting the feet would have taken this to another level.

TFS,
Rachel

Arthur Morris
06-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Yes to excellent PS work and a nice juxtaposition. Lots of excellent comments above. I would like to see the birds a bit darker overall.

dankearl
06-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Nice unusual look at these, Robert, I have never seen young Quails.
Agree with the comments, but nice work getting these.

Robert Holguin
06-23-2012, 01:28 AM
Thank you all very much for all the comments and advice. Yes I agree about being able to see the feet, but I did not want to move and they just would not read my mind. Hopefully I can get another chance at these little guys.