PDA

View Full Version : Another Tree Swallow

Sid Overbey
04-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Another attempt to capture a better shot of the tree swallows nearby.
Nikon D70
70-300mm@270
f/7.1
1/800s
ev +1/3
iso 400

Thanks.

Kent Wilson
04-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Hi Sid -- Since you have been so generous with your time and knowledge to me, I will try to reciprocate with a modest suggestion.

I like the image of the tree swallow very much. As you have probably surmised, I like swallows. The composition is good (with one minor reservation below), and color is good. Lovely background.

Would making the top of the nest house level improve the image?

I think it is difficult to get a really perfect exposure for these birds because of the very dark iridescent head, wings and back and the white breast and throat. Could the left side of the bird's throat be darkened slightly to show a bit more texture?

I hope this is helpful. I really hesitate to offer any suggestions, since the posters here are more advanced than I.

Gus Cobos
04-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Hey Sid,
Love the composition, nice details on subject and colors. The background is very nice with that soft pale blue which makes your bird stand out... I'm ok with the perch being a wee bit slanted...gives the little guy character...:D

William Malacarne
04-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Sid

I like it...The only thing I would change is crop some on the right and give him more space on the left.

Bill

Nonda Surratt
04-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Sid,

I also love swallows and yes they are hard to get the exposure right..I really like your image a lot! And the box being a bit tilted, rather like that too.

Alfred Forns
04-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Hi Sid

Would suggest to increase exposure Looks under close to one!!! With that sky and the camera pointing up would not be surprised if the compensation would have been + 1 2/3 With any overcast you need to dial in Plus Also is you happen to blow the sky check the bird It is fine to blow the bg and make it high key You want the bird properly exposed !!!

Tried lightening the bird and redoing the frame I think the black detracts from the image? Just personal taste and don't pay much attention on that respect Never have like frames.

btw they are lots of fun catching them in flight !!!

Nonda Surratt
04-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Certainly like, really like Alfred's fix! Good learning to see the difference.

Oscar Zangroniz
04-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Great shot Sid. Hopefully by next week you'll be able to get them to look bigger in the frame with your new lens!!!!!
Congrats on a nice image.
Regards,