Flash Type External E-TTL
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Shutter curtain sync 1st-curtain sync
White Balance Mode Daylight
AF Mode AI Servo AF
AF area select mode AF Point expansion
Color Space Adobe RGB
Flash Exposure Compensation -2/3

I smoothed out a few reflections in the lily pad and cleaned up a few specks in the water.
I had been watching the garden pond off an on most of the day, I spotted an exuvia but it was empty. I was photographing some adults when I saw this scene in the centre of the pond, obviously the teneral had emerged in front of me and I had missed it. I initially took some shots with the 180mm macro and then coupled with 1.4TC and then 2xTC, then I went for the 100-400, still not happy I got the 500mm f4 with an extension tube and this is the result, the image is cropped quite a bit.

All C & C welcome

Steve Maxson
06-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Hi Jonathan. Very cool to get both the exuvia and adult in the same plane of focus - and with a clean reflection! I wasn't too sure about the partial leaf on the left side at first, but now I think it helps to set the environment in which the shot was taken. You might try to tone down the bright spot near the bud tip. Well done!

Jonathan Ashton
06-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Hi Steve this was an awkward one, the shiny bit was very bright indeed, I have in fact cloned over it with areas of the bud from lower down in another similar but different image. My main preoccupation here was to get the reflection in ...........and keep my camera dry!! I thought the 500mm performed well.