PDA

View Full Version : Courtship

Rachel Hollander
06-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Taken on Machias Seal Island off Cutler, Maine. I was taking some portrait shots when the second puffin wandered in and the 2 began billing. Due to being in a blind and shooting through the opening as well as the action only lasting a few seconds, I couldn't get a better angle or change my settings fast enough. I sort of like the intimacy of the image but am curious what others think. So does it work?

Canon 7D
70-200 II @ 165mm
1/5000
f2.8
1/5000
ISO 200
EC -.33
HH from a blind, cropped slightly for comp, levels, selective dodging and burning, sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Arnon Cahen
06-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Hi Rachel,
Love the image. The bird facing us looks so expressive. IMO it would have been nice if you could have gotten the full beak as well, but given the limiting situation, you have to go with what you get. Still, I don't think it's such a problem, again, because the expression on this bird's face is just wonderful. I also think that using a higher f value (and perhaps slightly higher ISO to keep the speed) would be beneficial, as it seems that portions of the head are a bit out of focus.
In any case, I think it's a wonderful shot.
Arnon

Steve Kaluski
06-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Hi Rachel, love the interaction on this one. Think you can afford to apply some more Curves to strengthen the blacks, likewise in Selective, the neutrals & blacks. Would also try to dropping the exposure/burn/dodge on the top of the bill of the one facing us, plus a fraction more USM (optional).

Certainly your trip has been incredibly fruitful in terms of images and your progression in Photography/Processing.

TFS
steve

Rachel Hollander
06-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks Arnon and Steve. Here's a repost incorporating Steve's suggestions. As always, much appreciated.

Rachel

Cathy McEntee
06-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Very cool image! I like the repost. Had you been to the right a bit more would have made a great shot as well. Nice job.

Rachel Hollander
06-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Thanks Cathy, but also if I had been to the right more I would not have the feel of looking over the shoulder of the near oof puffin. So it's a trade off. I do have lots of full view photos of puffins billing.

Rachel

Gregor Bergquist
07-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Love this one Rachel. Beautiful done. The interaction is magic.

Rachel Hollander
07-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Thanks Gregor, much appreciated.