PDA

View Full Version : Day Lily II

John Storjohann
06-18-2012, 06:01 PM
A day lily capture on Saturday morning while at the Botanical Garden with Jay; 180mm with 1/4x teleconverter, ISO 800, f/22@1/15. RAW image processed in LR; slight clean-up of some pollen speck on the petals, a little vignette added in the corners for depth.

Bob Miller
06-18-2012, 07:45 PM
John...The colors and the glowing center are amazing. I love it!. The sharpness is right where it is needed with just enough detail in the LRC. The only thing that bothers me is the long pistil extending out of the frame at ULC...not sure what you can do about it.....but very very nice image!

Jonathan Ashton
06-19-2012, 04:46 AM
Very nice shot, you still have good sharpness even at f22 with TC, did you have to sharpen very much or no more than usual, I am wondering how much effect diffraction may have had. I think the colours and exposure are excellent.
I agree about the pistil, I must admit I see it now but had I taken the image I doubt if I would have noticed it.

John Storjohann
06-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Thank you for the comments and views. Jonathon, diffraction definitely played a role in the image, but it held up better than I expected. I didn't sharpen any more than usual, but I did use NIK's Tonal Contrast on a low opacity layer (21%) to help with the contrast. I saw the pistil in the frame...I was attracted to the bead of water hanging from it...and with day lilies, that one long one is something of a fact of life...never have figured out how to effectively work with them as a compositional element! :t3

Allen Sparks
06-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Agree with the comments above. Very nice image overall. Love the colors.

Steve Maxson
06-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Hi John. A beautiful mix of colors and pretty decent sharpness for f/22 + 1.4X! I agree that the long pistol makes for a compositional challenge. Well done!