PDA

View Full Version : Variable Clown Tree Frog

Norm Dulak
06-18-2012, 07:47 AM
Nikon D7000 w/Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 vr lens @ 400mm, hand held from a skiff
ISO 800; f/5.6, 1/500 sec; MM; SB-800 flash illumination
PP: PS CS5 crop, levels, curves, sharpen; cloned out specular highlights on frog

This little frog was spotted at night during a recent Peruvian Amazon voyage, by a guide using a search light. I like the pose of the frog, as it reached to climb higher.

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Norm

Hazel Grant
06-18-2012, 10:04 AM
I like the pose, too. Taking this as you did from a skiff at night, you had a difficult task! The leaves, though, look more in focus than the frog. Wonderful trip you must have had! Share other photos.

John Storjohann
06-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Norm, the pose is wonderful..the lines of the blades of grass, the smooth background and the position of the frog all add to a strong composition. Hazel does make a good point, though; the focus seems to be on the supporting blades of grass/leaves and not on the frog...to my eye it looks like there may be some slight sharpening haloes around the frog as well. Tough situtation when you're shooting at night from a skiff!

Steve Maxson
06-21-2012, 12:46 PM
Hi Norm. Sounds like a fun trip! This is a very cool looking frog giving you a nice pose. You had a rather difficult photo situation here and, unfortunately, the IQ did not hold up. The head and back of the frog seem largely OOF and you have some posterization going on in the background. :S3:

Norm Dulak
06-25-2012, 10:13 AM
My thanks to everyone who looked and commented. And my apologies for taking so long to get back to you, but we had no internet access for a week.

I totally agree about IQ, but l I decided to post the frog because of its interesting pose. There were other frogs that were much sharper that I may share with you in the future.

But again, THANKS!