PDA

View Full Version : Great Zimbabwe Ruins

Morkel Erasmus
06-17-2012, 04:10 PM
I was fortunate to be able to photograph the oldest archaeological site in Southern Africa one morning on our recent trip to Zimbabwe.
This is a view of the walkway to the large enclosure (wall on the left).

Techs:
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 @ 14mm
f16 @ 1/10 SS @ ISO-200
Single exposure, tripod mounted

Ron Bernstein
06-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Congrats, Morkel. This is a very unusual scene, one I've not seen before. It looks like a fort, with the trees being the assaulting army!
Good job keeping detail in the dark area, nice melding of different light, with lovely yellow tones on the wall. Love that Nikkor 14-24 @ 14!!!!

Nick Palmieri
06-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Hey Morkel, I love the light and color on the wall. I am debating on a tighter crop on the right since most of the interest is on the left. I love the way my eye follows the wall to background. TFS

Roman Kurywczak
06-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Hey Morkel,
Debating comp myself......while there is plenty of detaill on the RHS......a crop from the bottom?.....not sure on this one.

Jerry van Dijk
06-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Hi Morkel, that must be an impressive site! How old is it?
I think the image is a bit overpowered by the large amount of shadows on the right. Maybe this would work better with the sun higher up. I also see some great possbilities with the tree shadows on the stone wall.

Morkel Erasmus
06-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the kind comments, folks.
I took a variety of shots that morning, will post some more later.

Jerry - construction was apparently started in the 1100's and finished by about 1400...not long after which the civilization came to ruin. More info here:
http://goafrica.about.com/od/zimbabwe/p/greatzimbabwe.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Zimbabwe

Andrew Aveley
06-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Hey Morks , still think this scene at night with some stars would rock :)

Rachel Hollander
06-28-2012, 08:21 AM
Morkel - looks like you had a very fruitful trip for both wildlife and landscapes. I really like the tree shadows on the wall. Looking forward to more.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
06-29-2012, 04:01 AM
Thanks Rachel and Andrew!

Hey Morks , still think this scene at night with some stars would rock :)

Indeed...now to get back there and "bribe" someone to stay there after dark!! :Whoa!: