PDA

View Full Version : The flanker

Steve Kaluski
06-17-2012, 02:22 PM
On this particular afternoon, three you brothers patrolled this stretch of the river, two in the river, occasionally snorkelling, the other running through the edge of the water, or in it, endevouring to trap & catch the schooling salmon. Never giving us a glance, their mission was only to eat huge volumes of salmon. Certainly being slightly overcast helped with the splashing water & subsequent highlights.

Steve
Subject: Grizzly bear running through water (Ursus arctos horribilis)
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 70-200f/2.8 HH
Exposure: 1/400s at f/4 ISO400 0 stop compensation
Crop: Slight crop (original capture horizontal)

Steve Canuel
06-17-2012, 02:40 PM
This is really nice Steve. Detailed and sharp yet not overdone. Love the soft, muted colors. Also like the "ramp" of splashing water under the chest. Based on the green/white line running from the rock to the paw it would seem to need some CCW rotation yet the ripples in the FG look level to me. Lay of the land I imagine.

Morkel Erasmus
06-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Love the action/splashes here Steve. Highlights contained really well!
Steve C makes a good point...I wonder if it does need that rotation, purely for perceptions' sake? On the other hand, if the bear was running diagonally, would the water level around the bear need to be "level"? :t3

Andreas Liedmann
06-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Hi Steve,
love the action ,looks very powerful and dynamic.Exposure looks spot on with nice contrast over the main subject.I would like to see a bit more separation between the light parts of the bear and the dried grass blades in BG.Lighten or darken either one . WDYT?
The splashing water looks processed really good,the comp too.
I would push also the greens a bit ,not sure about CR as Morkel and Steve suggested.

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
06-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Hi guys thanks for taking time to swing by and comment, but interesting to see who have viewed the thread. :w3

Steve, Morkel regarding the slight CCW rotation as this is just my take. The water line in front of the bear is horizontal, however it does angle off at the tail end of the bear so I kept as is. However, if you rotate it somewhere between 1.3 & 1.5 the bear is slightly leaning forward, but the main issue is lack of image, as this is almost FF so the crop will be tighter and not ideal IMHO.

Andreas, the grasses at this time are more muted and not 'grass green' so again, happy as is.

Cheers
Steve

Jason Hurst
06-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Great image! I love the detail in the bear's fur, and also in the splash of the water. Nice and crisp.

Nice to see that the 1D Mk III is still a very worthy photographic tool.

Rachel Hollander
06-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Steve - great action and the splash makes the image. I like the highlights on the bear too. I almost missed the partial 2nd bear in the bg despite your description.

TFS,
Rachel

Harshad Barve
06-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Buyt BG do no work for me ,
TFS