PDA

View Full Version : Broad bodied chaser exuvia

Jonathan Ashton
06-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Tripod mongoose head
ISO 100 1/4 sec f11/16

I posted this image to show you the exuvia from which the previously posted broad bodied chaser emerged. I was quite surprised for two reasons, firstly the eggs were only laid last year (I thought it took 2yr for the nymph to mature), secondly the larva attached itself to a buttercup right at water level, usually they climb up a reed stem of some sort.
It is easy to see where the dragonfly has literally burst open the exuvia, I hope it proves useful for anyone who hasn't seen one before.
My next task is to try to get some images of a dragon actually emerging, no luck for about 25 years - maybe I will get lucky this year!

PhilCook
06-18-2012, 03:05 AM
Good composite, nice idea Johnathon, and nice backdrop of a nice subtle color that does not overpower the subjects. My only thought...and take this comment with a pinch of salt, I always fond images look better with three subjects rather than just two, and in so doing that the gap in the middle may be filled { and somewhere I read most folk prefer odd number subjects in an image rather than even ...ih ? } So perhaps a dorsal, lateral and underside composite

Jonathan Ashton
06-18-2012, 03:30 AM
I agree Phil three images would have looked more presentable but a ventral view would have resulted in principally a picture of the buttercup leaf, just the tip of the abdomen would have been seen.

Steve Maxson
06-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Hi Jonathan. This is an interesting idea and I like it! Each of the two images is nicely done. My one suggestion is that you might consider moving the two closer together so that there is less space in the middle. :S3: