PDA

View Full Version : Giraffe watercurve

Andreas Liedmann
06-16-2012, 05:45 PM

Hello to you critical viewers,
i am not sure if this image is working,due to some issues that did not work optimal in photographing and PP.
I do not exactly how many shots went straight into the bin,by just OOF,wrong focal point,wrong angle of giraffe.I tried a lot,this is the best i got.But it is exactly what i wanted.I wished i had better light and better BG.But no choice,even at other locations in Etosha.Finally i ended up with focussing manual to a point between the front legs,after watching the drinking behavior of this giraffe.I closed the viewfinder ,and started fireing the shutter in hope to get one as this one .

So tell me your thoughts.

Canon MK IV
EF 500 IS L + 1,4 tc
window bracket

F8 / 1/1250sec /ISO 500 manual exposure + focus

80% crop of FF removed some objects in BG
Processed in RPP + PS

Hope you like it C&C welcome

Cheers Andreas

PhilCook
06-16-2012, 07:39 PM
I think your perseverence with focussing method etc paid off well, a classic shot of the water, an image with above average interest, perfectly timed Andreas, candy for the eye.

Jay Gould
06-17-2012, 02:59 AM
Absolutely works in every way!!

Steve Kaluski
06-17-2012, 03:26 AM
Hi Andreas, an exceptional image, irrespective of the issues you have pointed out, just goes to show that 'where there's a way...'

Looks well exposed. although a hint more in opening up the eye and surrounding area wouldn't hurt. The movement in the mouth, but sharp water trail is just excellent, although again and personal choice, I might just ease off a fraction on the sharpening on the water trail (difficult) and the neck, WDYT? Both techs & process looks good, wonder how it would look if you move the whole crop slightly to the left.

TFS
Steve :cheers:

Andreas Liedmann
06-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Thank you Phil and Jay for watching and commenting,i am happy that you like it.

Thank you Steve for your detailed thoughts,i like them all the time.Even if i have to open up a second TAB in Safari to look for a translation,because you use words that are not in my vocabulary.But that`s good ,maybe i can at the time proceed with my english,while learning what i can do better in photography and processing :w3 .So keep going i love it.

I leave the sharpness as is,but you are right in lightning up the parts you suggested.I must say if i watch the image in PS i am happy,and after i posted them many times i find some nits that look different in PS ??!!

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
06-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Even if i have to open up a second TAB in Safari to look for a translation,because you use words that are not in my vocabulary.

Andreas I have got used to you asking when you do not understand when off the Forum, so ask here, however in 6 months time your English and understanding will be perfect, but I commend you for your interaction on here, as our German is still a little basic. :bg3:

I must say if i watch the image in *PS i am happy,and after i posted them many times i find some nits that look different in PS ??!!

PS - Do you mean PS or LR? There should be NO change from what you see in PS to how it is presented on the Web if the workflow os right, that is why Save for Web has been designed for.

Cheers
Steve BTW Would it help if I put arrows on the image to show what I mean, as well as write it in a reply? Not conventional or ideal, but if the language does prove an issue then we could look at something perhaps? Need to check it first.

Steve Canuel
06-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Great "S" curve on the water, a nice compliment to the straight line of the giraffe's neck. Glad you got the shot you wanted after your efforts to get it.

Morkel Erasmus
06-18-2012, 10:43 AM
You captured this nicely Andreas! Love the water trail. It looks a bit 'crunchy' overall, no doubt to do with the time of day?
Well done on the manual focus trick :5

Rachel Hollander
06-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Andreas - your efforts and patience paid off. Thanks for taking the time to explain your technique. Very unusual shot!

TFS,
Rachel