PDA

View Full Version : Taking a bath !!

Andreas Liedmann
06-15-2012, 05:15 PM

Hi to all you viewers out there,
waited a long afternoon at Klein Namoutoni waterhole in Etosha ,in hope the elephants could arrive there .All of a sudden a small big herd of about 40 animals arrived.I was hoping that they take a bath and a lot of action with splashing water will happen.But i think due to cool weather,they just stopped by for drinking .Only this one crossed the waterhole into my direction.
Hope you like it.

Canon MK IV
500 L IS
Window bracket

F8 / 1/800sec / ISO 400 manual exposure
crop on all sides slightly

Processed in RPP + PS

C&C most welcome :tinysmile_shy_t:

Cheers Andreas

PhilCook
06-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Darn that's impressive right down to the extended ears with the droplets streaming off, is it possibly a tad over sharpened or is that just perhaps the effect of water on it's hide, mostly referring to his forehead region.

{ mental note ....must get to Africa one day }

Steve Kaluski
06-16-2012, 03:35 AM
Hi Andreas, the wait was worth it. Nicely composed an fills the frame nicely, not too big, but gives a nice presence in frame. I'm away so using the laptop Andreas, but could it do with a slight hint of Curves adding a hint more contrast in the subject?

is it possibly a tad over sharpened or is that just perhaps the effect of water on it's hide, mostly referring to his forehead region.
You could be right Phil, always difficult with water and sunlight.

Like the trailing water of the ear.

TFS
Steve

Dumay de Boulle
06-16-2012, 05:28 AM
Love the detail and shooting angle. Great colors. I think in this case backing off the sharpening would work as Steve says the droplets and sunlight are always a bit of a problem!

Andreas Liedmann
06-16-2012, 12:20 PM

Thank you guys for watching and ! commenting, i tried to change what you suggested.Hope you like it. WDYT?:bugeyed:

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
06-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Andreas can you expand on what changes you have undertaken with the RP.

Thanks
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
06-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Sorry !!
I started from the M - file ,added two layers with the ele selected ,used Apply image to copy the green channel into the mask of both layers.One inverted.I hit each layer with a slight S-curve.Reduced the opacity to 25 %.
After that my web sharpening script ,that i use.This time the same settings as in OP,but with reduced Opacity of about 20 % less than OP.

I hope it is clear to everyone.If not ask!! :Whoa!:

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
06-16-2012, 02:23 PM
So in simple terms Andreas, you slightly darkened it, as the green channel had the most contrast and reduced the USM, yes? :S3:

Andreas Liedmann
06-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Yep Steve,
if you say so,you explained it for dummies (LOL).
To be serious ,i did not darken it in general.From my understanding if i use a S-curve ,the points set to quarter and three quarter tones i push the contrast,right.In this case i pushed the three quarter tones a tad more ,and so also darkened it a tad.

And the web sharpening is bit more complicated ,than only USM.I will not go in depth ,because maybe i have to answer again.
Sorry i want to watch soccer NOW!"!! :wave:

Come back later,to look if you have more questions.

Cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
06-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Patience paid off! A scene well captured. I like the repost, but feel you can still back down sharpening selectively on the forehead and ears? Always tricky with pachyderms in wet conditions with somewhat harsh light hitting the skin. Love the detail all around.

Andreas Liedmann
06-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Thank you to Steve,Phil,Dumay and Morkel for watching and critiques appreciate them all.

Cheers Andreas

Ken Watkins
06-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Andreas,
Fabulous image from one of my all time favourite waterholes