PDA

View Full Version : Morning Buff

Steve Canuel
06-15-2012, 12:52 PM
A recently processed image from a couple years back. Got this buff early one morning as he strolled through summer fields. 40D, 1-400L, f5.6, 1/400s, ISO 1600, +1/3 EC. HH from vehicle, cropped for comp on all sides.

Steve Kaluski
06-16-2012, 03:27 AM
Hi Steve, I guess you were shooting from a vehicle looking down, so I assume a slightly lower POV would be out of the question? Sadly the hi ISO is coming through more in this image and I wonder if you have lightened it at all? I think if you get a chance to shoot this animal now with the kit you have, the image quality and comp would be far better. The image does convey that nice depth of thick, shaggy coat and i quite like the eye contact.

Personally I think these look best in the deep winter snow. :w3

TFS
Steve

Steve Canuel
06-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the look Steve. You're correct about the angle and the lightening. This one was part of a small herd crossing the road. Nowhere to park and safely shoot at this spot, especially with the vehicle surrounded. Had a few different versions of this one including one with more of a painterly processed look that I actually prefer. We won't learn much if we're only posting our best.

I'm pretty sure you're not alone in your preference for pics of these guys in the snow (as evidenced by the recent IOTY). Although I enjoy those images too, I actually prefer them in the long grasses of summer. The heat, dust, smells, sounds of insects buzzing in the late afternoon, and the bow wave of grasshoppers jumping ahead of them as they wade through the grass all add to the experience for me. The photos are just a reminder of the time spent.

Steve Kaluski
06-17-2012, 01:31 PM
We won't learn much if we're only posting our best.

Oh so true Steve, if you post in the Critique part then you will get Good & Bad comments and learn, not plateau :S3:

I'm pretty sure you're not alone in your preference for pics of these guys in the snow (as evidenced by the recent IOTY). Although I enjoy those images too, I actually prefer them in the long grasses of summer. The heat, dust, smells, sounds of insects buzzing in the late afternoon, and the bow wave of grasshoppers jumping ahead of them as they wade through the grass all add to the experience for me. The photos are just a reminder of the time spent.

Would it not be great if when we clicked on the image you got all that additional information too. Was out early today, sadly no luck, but as you say, the sounds & smells really make up for it.

If it was safe to do so, would love to see a shot where you have the grass (say 2/3's high) soft & OOF with the Buff head on with the flies etc, but Yellowstone is on my wish list still. :bg3:

All the best
Steve

Steve Canuel
06-17-2012, 02:11 PM
"Would it not be great if when we clicked on the image you got all that additional information too. Was out early today, sadly no luck, but as you say, the sounds & smells really make up for it."

Yes it would. A safari every time you log on!

No grass and taken a year later, but here's a buff head with flies for you. Too much of a close up? :t3

Steve Kaluski
06-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Too much of a close up?

No, but seriously post it, this is great. :cheers:

Morkel Erasmus
06-17-2012, 02:48 PM
I agree with the above, Steve. Good detail at that ISO for that camera, nonetheless...:t3
I hear you about the sights and smells. Too often we keep looking through the viewfinder, forgetting firstly to "look wider" and also to take in what our other senses are perceiving. It all adds to the experience...and is what we connect the images with later mentally.

I agree - post the closeup as a separate post :w3

Steve Canuel
06-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Steve and Morkel,
Glad to hear its about more than just the image for you two and also glad you enjoyed the close up.