PDA

View Full Version : Rock Monitor

Andreas Liedmann
06-14-2012, 02:48 PM

Hi and hello,
photographed this Rock Monitor in Etosha NP in Namibia.Watched this guy crossing the road and followed him by car (on the road).He disappeared in some small shrub.After a while of waiting he went on,the chance of getting some shots .

Canon EOS 1D Mark III
EF 4,0 300 IS L
HH
95% of FF
F 8 / 1/500 sec / ISO 200

Processed in RPP + PS

Critiques more than welcome,as Arthur say don`t be shy !!!

Cheers Andreas

PhilCook
06-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Great detail in this, I think I can even see a Tick in the folds of skin on the neck, well done getting some light in this big fellas eye too, cant see anything needed in the way of improvement

Rachel Hollander
06-14-2012, 05:11 PM
I agree with Phil, great detail and nice light. Looks like he may have a full mouth?

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
06-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Thank you Rachel and Phil,
The Monitor Lizards (Family) if they feel threatened the blow up their ? i am missing english word for ------ ? I hope you know what i try to explain, they make a lot of noise while they telling you to stop and not come close .

Cheers Andreas

Steve Canuel
06-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Super detail Andreas and I like your choice of comp. Looks like he was giving you a good warning hiss. A small bit of overall darkening and saturation boost improves it for me.

Vivaldo Damilano
06-15-2012, 01:15 AM
Lovely close-up and eye contact Andreas. I would also add more saturation by selecting the highlights on a layer and using Multiply to also darken bright area slightly.

Steve Kaluski
06-15-2012, 01:58 AM
Hi Andreas, a different subject and different camera body, interesting :bg3:

I like the crop and certainly including the front foot was a good call rather than just a head shot. The colour and exposures looks right, but perhaps it might be worth exploring toning down the FG & BG, but leaving the Monitor as is.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
06-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Thank you to all you guys for comments and feedback,appreciate them all.

Tried more colorful version before posting,but i do not liked it.

Here is a RP.

Steve Kaluski
06-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Andreas, on reflection the OP works slightly better as there is more difference in tone & light between subject & habitat, subtle yes, but sometimes we need to accept what we see & feel rather than a technical POV, just my take though.

cheers
Steve

Steve Canuel
06-15-2012, 12:59 PM
I like the repost. Very subtle difference between the two and I'm not really sure what the difference is, seems the monitor is a little more defined. As for the color, your two posts certainly look accurate and natural for the conditions in which I suspect they were taken.