PDA

View Full Version : Bathing Black Rhino

Vivaldo Damilano
06-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Here is another image from my last trip to Etosha. This rhino was the proud winner of the battle he had just won against another rhino and decided he would relax for a while.
D3s 600VR with 1.4 converter. 1/1000s at F6.3 ISO200.

Steve Kaluski
06-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Hi Vivaldo, very nice indeed.

Personally I might lessen the sharpening as it disappears along the back, might just be a tad too much, also run some NR in the BG. Just a thought, but have you tried a pano crop, working from the bottom up?

TFS
Steve

Vivaldo Damilano
06-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Hi Steve, thanks for advice. I croped this almost to a pano size but a little more off the top would also work. Sharpening looks ok to me but agree with a slight halo on the rhino's back.

Steve Uffman
06-14-2012, 01:30 PM
like the image very much....the story adds to the feeling...the small eye looks tired......Old Rhino held the challenger off one more time...but the Rhino's expression of self doubt on how many more times can he?

Vivaldo Damilano
06-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Yip Steve, the young Rhino will be back for more I am sure and will win the fight eventually :bg3:

Steve Kaluski
06-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Hi Vivaldo, I just wonder if a slight reduction in the yellow, both in BKG & FG only might help? This was where I was going, WDYT?

Steve :w3

Vivaldo Damilano
06-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks Steve, I do like it. The crop work very nicely and have to agree with you :bg3:

Vivaldo Damilano
06-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Although I did agree with you on crop, I would settle for a little more on the top, maybe something in between yours and mine. I like your colours but not that big of a difference to the OP IMO.

Steve Kaluski
06-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Vivaldo as you know, cropping is oh so personal. :w3

I like your colours but not that big of a difference to the OP IMO.
As I have said to Andreas, sometimes is just a subtle tweak, not a sledge hammer that makes the biggest difference. Obviously some will say it monitors, ambient light etc, but I think a lot of the images posted just need that subtlety.

Steve Uffman
06-14-2012, 04:39 PM
on my new high priced 30", and bi weekly calibrated monitor:eek3:, they both look great....But Vivaldo, Steve's tweak of just the FG and BG yellows does make the Rhino separate and stand out a bit more here. ...so Steve by nose at the wire.... (although I would be proud of either)

Rachel Hollander
06-14-2012, 05:16 PM
On a travel laptop so not going to comment on the color differences. Outstanding low pov and both crops work for me. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Vivaldo Damilano
06-15-2012, 01:32 AM
Thanks for good suggetions and comments it's appreciated. Steve as you said small changes can help, my image has slightly more yellow/green. I must admit I am not the best when judging colors:bg3:

Steve Kaluski
06-15-2012, 03:35 AM
Steve as you said small changes can help, my image has slightly more yellow/green.

Vivaldo, I think it's an inherent colour bias in all the images from the series, therefore no worries, however I wonder if it's the slight bias Nikon may have, or a true reflection of the colour at that time of day? Would love to have shot this with you to see the comparison between Nikon & Canon. Sorry to have missed you last time, but there will be other times, will let you know.

cheers
Steve

Vivaldo Damilano
06-15-2012, 03:59 AM
Cheers Steve, still look foward to that beer we taked about last year :cheers:

Andreas Liedmann
06-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Hi Vivaldo,
like the image as presented by you and Steve.Steve `s a tad better ,because of eliminating the BG ( too much contrast).The colors in both work for me.Nice detail on the subject.!!

Congrats Andreas

Dumay de Boulle
06-16-2012, 05:30 AM
I love this Vivaldo...The colors are magic...Very nice!

Morkel Erasmus
06-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Super light, setting and textures/detail/colour here Vivaldo!!
I like Steve's repost very much...

Arno Ellmer
06-17-2012, 01:08 AM
Great capture ,Vivaldo . I particularly like the colours and the low angle,as well as the magic light.