PDA

View Full Version : Double vision

Colin Driscoll
06-14-2012, 01:09 AM
Looking east across Lake Macquarie, large saltwater lake on the central east coast of Australia. Thanks to my new 5D3 I could get (almost) everything in.

5D3 16-35 L @ 16 1/400 f5 slight crop to reduce foreground.

Jay Gould
06-14-2012, 04:42 AM
Works well; you could have shot two images and stitched them.

Morkel Erasmus
06-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Lovely scene, Colin. Jay made a good point - stitching is your friend :t3.
I feel the sky/rainbow/BG needs some 'oomph' since there seems to be some haze.

In this repost I only did 3 steps:
1. ran a multiplied luminosity layer for highlights (see Robert's sticky) for the entire image, setting opacity to 100%
2. created a mask over that layer, and painted back with a black brush on the foreground until it retained the look of your OP
3. then selected the sky and ran a round of LCE on it (again, Robert's sticky).

Your thoughts?

Colin Driscoll
06-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks Jay and Morkel, getting the two shots needed for stitching was out of the question. It started raining (the haze) on me and my camera just as I got to a good position and I had to keep wiping the rain off the lens to get one shot. Morkel, your repost definitely takes the image up a level, thanks for that and I will step my way through Robert's guides and see if I can match what you have done. Many thanks!

Nick Palmieri
06-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Nice composition Colin. Morkel's re-work really strengthens this image. TFS

Roman Kurywczak
06-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Hey Colin,
I like the direction morkel took it in and just want to give you another option to explore in the future......I see in your comments it was raining......but if you had an unbrella or something to cover the lens......a slow SS would make the water more pleasing and create some interesting FG wave action......so just something to keep in mind for in the field for next time out.

Andrew Aveley
06-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Great composition. Not sure if I agree with Morkels repost as the colours look a little overpowering.Maybe some selective colour and LCE when done :)