PDA

View Full Version : Home At Last

Michael Pancier
04-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Another pic from that cloudy Saturday with James, Artie, and the gang out by bird island.

1d Mark II
400 5.6L
1/1000
ISO 800
F/5.6
Incident at + 1

Arthur Morris
04-17-2008, 09:04 AM
I like this one Mike. Great that you got them before the merge. It is easy to see the difference in noise control between the older bodies and the MIII. (The underwings of the landing bird are quite noisy.)

Robert O'Toole
04-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Positioning is good and the poses are great. Sharpness looks good also.

The lighting situation looks backlit-toplit, you could lighten the shadows with a mask to help even out the tones. I dont have any idea how you used your light meter but you might want to find a new technique, the image looks at least 1 stop under. Is there a reason you use an incident meter? TTL metering and adding 2 or more stops works really well and lets you leave the meter at home.:)

Robert

Michael Pancier
04-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Positioning is good and the poses are great. Sharpness looks good also.

The lighting situation looks backlit-toplit, you could lighten the shadows with a mask to help even out the tones. I dont have any idea how you used your light meter but you might want to find a new technique, the image looks at least 1 stop under. Is there a reason you use an incident meter? TTL metering and adding 2 or more stops works really well and lets you leave the meter at home.:)

Robert

I didn't use a handheld on this. just my terminology .. i shot this at +1 ... and should have gone to + 2 in av mode. I later went to manual that day and James helped me with the metering off the sky and those pics came out much better.

I need to hone down the manual metering off the sky or green tones based on the conditions ....

Robert Amoruso
04-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Michael,

I know you said you didn't use an incident meter, but don't mention that word to these guys (Artie and Robert). :)

+2 off the white sky, +1 off a blue sky.

Robert O'Toole
04-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Michael,

I know you said you didn't use an incident meter, but don't mention that word to these guys (Artie and Robert). :)

+2 off the white sky, +1 off a blue sky.

Not at all Roberto, I really I love to use them and recommend them all the time .... for the studio :)

Robert

Robert O'Toole
04-17-2008, 10:34 AM
I didn't use a handheld on this. just my terminology .. i shot this at +1 ... and should have gone to + 2 in av mode. I later went to manual that day and James helped me with the metering off the sky and those pics came out much better.

I need to hone down the manual metering off the sky or green tones based on the conditions ....

Thanks for the reply. You will get the technique down in no time.

Robert

Michael Pancier
04-17-2008, 10:36 AM
I swear by mine when doing people portraits indoor and out or macros ..... ;-)