PDA

View Full Version : Snowy egret

gail bisson
06-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Took this image at midday. Waited for a cloud to cover the sun.
Canon 1D MKIV
f 500mm
iso 800
SS 1/1600
f 5.6
Manual, on tripod
95% full frame (sliver off RHS)
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

Austin Thomas
06-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Hi Gail,
I like the bird, position and size in the frame and the open beak is a bonus. Very good detail under the wings.
At this resolution the whites on the Egrets back seem to have lost some detail. I would try and recover that area a little more if possible.

Thanks

Austin

Bill Dix
06-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Snowy stands out nicely against the green bg. Good pose and ha. Don't know if wing was coming up or down; maybe another split second would have had it higher? In any case, some good underwing detail given that this was mid-day. Love the tongue, and the yellow flowers are a nice touch. (Too bad his yellow feet didn't add to the mix.)

Dave Leroy
06-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Good idea on the cloud cover. A very nice bird in habitat shot and lots of underwing detail. I would consider losing the flower touching the frame.
I like the open mouth pose as well.

Joe Senzatimore
06-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Real nice wing up pose. Cloud cover works well. great exposure and white detail.

Grace Scalzo
06-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Wait a minute.... Snowy or great? I think the latter. In any case, it's a nice image. But I've got a couple things to comment on. I'm never opposed to a high overcast light. But this light looks very flat to my eye , and I do think that is contributing to loss of detail. Wish the little yellow flower on the bottom was in tact. Lastly, and this is 100% me. I am claustrophobic. I like for a bird to have room to stretch his wings into fully, if he is getting ready for a flap or an extension. In this image, they would be clipped if he did so, and that bothers me. (Probably the strangest critique you ever got. :w3)

gail bisson
06-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Wait a minute.... Snowy or great? I think the latter. In any case, it's a nice image. But I've got a couple things to comment on. I'm never opposed to a high overcast light. But this light looks very flat to my eye , and I do think that is contributing to loss of detail. Wish the little yellow flower on the bottom was in tact. Lastly, and this is 100% me. I am claustrophobic. I like for a bird to have room to stretch his wings into fully, if he is getting ready for a flap or an extension. In this image, they would be clipped if he did so, and that bothers me. (Probably the strangest critique you ever got. :w3)
Hi Grace,
You are absolutely correct-this is a great egret. I was asleep at the switch when I put the title in!!:Whoa!:
And no, not the strangest critique!
Thanks to all for your insightful comments. I will try to bring out more detail in the wings (used detail extractor in Color Efex) and cropped out the transected flower!
Gail

dankearl
06-13-2012, 07:11 PM
I don't think it is flat at all, I like the DOF and the sharpness of the FG. Not a huge fan of the wing position, but it is an attractive
image. The flowers really add to it for me, i wish there was enough DOF to get the one on the LRC sharp, but that is pretty minor.

Bruce Enns
06-13-2012, 11:55 PM
A lovely bird in habitat shot Gail...I think the light served you very well here, allowed for good details on body, head and underwing, no glare off of leaves. I love the open mouth, the tongue!, and the feathers standing up on the back of its head. In the repost you cleaned up the couple of nits that I would have as well. Well done!

Bruce

christopher galeski
06-14-2012, 04:08 AM
nice image Gail,and as been said,good underwing detail,nice habitat,and I like the beak open showing tongue.thanks.

Stu Bowie
06-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Hi Gail, well timed to capture the agressive pose with the open bill and visible tongue. Whites look good with regards to being 'white' and the egret does pop nicely from the darker green foliage BG.

Maybe Ive had a long day, but I feel your OP has more detail in the whites than your repost. Ive looked a few times between the two posts. :w3

Frank Schauf
06-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Nice composition and excellent expsoure control and sharpness, Gail.

arash_hazeghi
06-14-2012, 11:46 AM
looks good like the open beak. The op has more detail from here