PDA

View Full Version : My first day rate query, advice?

Jim Poor
04-17-2008, 07:03 AM
Well, it looks like my work with the SPCA and other rescue groups is starting to pay off. I've had some queries on home portrait sessions and a one day even for one of the breed specific rescue organizations.

The expectation is that I will charge whatever I do for a session / print and then add on some extra to give back to the organization (it is a non-profit charity).

Does Photoquote cover events and such or just print pricing?

The person who contacted me doesn't have enough history with the group to tell me what has worked well in the past for price points and packages etc, but will check with some folks who have been around a while to get some ideas.

I have until September to get everything ironed out so what am I missing?

I've asked about past events and what works for them vice what doesn't

They don't have a "standard" agreement that they use for this sort of thing, so I'll make my own.

There is no shelter in the event of bad weather.

They would like prints on the spot if possible.

Thanks,
Jim

Robert O'Toole
04-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Do some research to find out what the normal area pricing ballpark is then set pricing accordingly. Usually pricing can vary dramatically in different areas.

Prints on site would be a good way to make extra money.

Robert

Jim Poor
04-17-2008, 09:45 AM
I've done a little and the range that I'm finding is from $10 to $175 for the sitting plus prints which vary just as wildly.

I'm considering two arrangements

1. The whole sitting fee goes to the organization and I keep the print fees

2. A flat percentage of all sales goes to the organization to include prints

David Kennedy
04-17-2008, 11:03 AM
I've done a little and the range that I'm finding is from $10 to $175 for the sitting plus prints which vary just as wildly.

I'm considering two arrangements

1. The whole sitting fee goes to the organization and I keep the print fees

2. A flat percentage of all sales goes to the organization to include prints

I would encourage option #2. That way, people actually might have an incentive to spend more.

William Malacarne
04-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Option 3

You keep the whole sitting and give them a percentage of the prints. This way you are assured of covering your time.

Bill

Jim Poor
04-17-2008, 01:19 PM
That is another option and I guess 4 & would be:

4. Split the sitting so that time is covered and then a percentage of prints.