PDA

View Full Version : Rhinoceros Beetle

Maureen Allen
06-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Strategus antaeus - rhinoceros beetle or ox beetle

I found this big guy wandering around my patio last night.

Nikon D3s, 105mm, f/32, 1/200, ISO 800, three flash units in light box

Comments and suggestions appreciated!

Ian Cassell
06-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Beautiful light box image, Maureen. He was wandering around looking for you!

PhilCook
06-13-2012, 07:03 AM
Mental note oneself.....I must muck about with light box images more often . Looks great, standing out beautifully with it's dark carapace and white backdrop, extraordinary detail to

Allen Sparks
06-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Hi Maureen, I like the angle you chose and the details and tones are great. Love the sharpness right down to the hairs on the body. Very nice!

Allen

Steve Maxson
06-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Hi Maureen. What a spectacular beetle! We don't get these this far north. It posed nicely for you and I love the way its shiny dorsal surface is illuminated by the light box. Excellent sharpness for f/32 (my lenses lose a lot of detail to diffraction at this setting). The one tweak I would suggest is that you might selectively brighten the head and the reddish-brown underside just a bit. This is very nicely done!

Maureen Allen
06-15-2012, 08:39 AM
Thanks, Steve. I appreciate the help. I'll lighten up those areas.

kostas nianiopoulos
06-16-2012, 12:21 PM
great detail color and light , love the soft shadows , pretty neat image , well done !!!

Ken Childs
06-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Maureen, you're doing great with the light box! It's a bit addicting, isn't it? Setup that moth sheet and you'll have more subjects than you'll know what to do with!
This is a fantastic looking beetle and you've done a great job capturing the detail. I think cropping a small amount from the top and the left might make this feel a little more balanced. Steve already covered the only other suggestion for improvement I had. Keep 'em coming....you been posting some great shots lately!