06-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Cloudy overcast day
Canon 1D MKIV
f 500 and 1.4x
ISO 800
f 6.3
SS 1/500
From bedroom window.
Full vertical crop from horizontal and cleaned up the lower mandible that had vegetation bits on it.
Not sure if I should tone down brightness in RUC. Opinions wanted!
Comments and ctitiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

Bill Dix
06-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Hi Gail. What a handsome dude! Pure raspberry. Perfect pose and ha, and great detail. Love the tail parallel to the perch. Great comp. I suppose I might burn the URC or use the clone tool to tone down the brightness just a bit; and might also reduce the brightest areas in the perch. The brightness does draw the eye away from the lovely bird. Very nicely done.

Arno Ellmer
06-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Hi Gail ,what a stunning bird, and very well captured .Agree with Bill that bg and leaves could be toned down. If it were mine I would remove the oof leaves on the right. Love the pose ,perch and the HA

Stu Bowie
06-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Hi Gail, I really like the pose and how the tail follows the line of the perch. Love the colours on the finch, sharp, and Im glad you left the spider web. I also like how the finch is against the greener part of the BG. As the leaves in the URC are completely OOF, removing them wont harm the image at all. :w3

Karl Egressy
06-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Very nice picture, Gail.
I would tone down the top left corner as it drwas attention away form this very nice looking bird.

gail bisson
06-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Here is the repost with leaves removed and RUC toned down.
Thanks for the advice!

Ofer Levy
06-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Sharp with excellent detail. The over all effect of the poor light is not great.

PhilCook
06-12-2012, 04:50 PM
I like the rework, hansome bird, lovely pose and the whole image as a result of maybe poorish light works for me to give an almost painterly look to it . Must say from an Australians point of view...difficult to understand why it is called Purple Finch

gail bisson
06-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Hi Phil,
There was an interesting discussion on our local radio "bird hour" as to why these birds are called purple. The explanation was that the early settlers of the 1700's called the color red "purple". The color red was the closest the cloth maker could get to purple and calling the cloth "purple" enhanced the price ( because royalty wore purple). I have no idea how factual this statement is- but it makes for a good discussion!
Gail

I like the rework, hansome bird, lovely pose and the whole image as a result of maybe poorish light works for me to give an almost painterly look to it . Must say from an Australians point of view...difficult to understand why it is called Purple Finch

Joe Senzatimore
06-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Re-post is a big improvement on an already fine image. Color is magnificent.

Humberto Ramos
06-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Lovely colors on the bird, also like the repost, I might remove the small perch bottom.

Bruce Enns
06-12-2012, 10:37 PM
You've done a fine job in getting the bird to pop a bit with such strong background brightness. Nice and sharp and great colours. The repost is an improvement...I would also consider removing the short orphan branch at the bottom.

Jonathan Ashton
06-13-2012, 06:13 AM
Lovely image Gail, I like the finch very much and I also like the foloiage. Having done the cloning I would suggest take a soft brush at 30% and brush the TLC and the other paler areas, producing a slight vignetee effect, this will really concentrate attention on the bird.

Frank Schauf
06-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Beautiful and colorful image. Sharp and well composed, Gail.