PDA

View Full Version : Ranthambore Classic

vikram potdar
06-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Made this image at Rajbaug Lake in Ranthambore Tiger Reserve, Rajasthan, India.

Camera - Nikon D300s
Nikkor 600 f/4,
ISO 500,
SS - 1/1250

Steve Kaluski
06-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Hi Vikram, the B/W conversion doesn't really work for me, so perhaps you could explain why the conversion and the thinking behind it, in that way I might get a better feel & understanding. Perhaps if you post the colour version to it will help others, but it does need a slight CCW rotation first based on the causeway.

For me the Ranthambore Classic would be with the Tiger in the old palace ruins :w3.

TFS
Steve

vikram potdar
06-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Hi, Steve,

This was shot late in the evening (6:40 pm). There was low light and lot of haze.

Pl see the color post.

I did not like the color version as I could not achieve the desired silhouette, so I have converted to B & W.

CCW correction is done.

Yes I agree with you on title but nowhere in India you get to see tiger in such locations.

Stan Cunningham
06-12-2012, 01:48 PM
I like the B and W even without seeing the color but to each his own.
Let me state I really like the pic as is but if it were mine I might play with silver effex to up the contrast and bring out the stripes on the tiger.
Nice job

Steve Kaluski
06-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Hi Vikram, that's better, the colours really set the mood and it has a nice warmth overall. Would run some NR from the top to the waterline and just open up the causeway & Tiger just to get a bit more detail & let some of the strips come through, just a fraction as it won't look right IMHO.

Just looking back again at the OP, there is more detail within the image, if you can pull some of that out too and use the 'golden light', then it would really help giving depth in layers, I just tweaked the OP trying to work on your original thinking.

Yes, Ranthambore is a magical location, no question.

cheers
Steve

Rachel Hollander
06-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Hi Vikram - I do like the setting and the comp but agree on trying to extract a bit more detail particularly with respect to the stripes.

TFS,
Rachel

RakeshDhareshwar
12-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Lovely experiment here , Vikram . I dont know if what you were trying is what I have attached here . If you would have metered for the water , you would have ended up with something like this . Just loved it in pano .

vikram potdar
12-26-2012, 02:32 AM
Rakesh, This is outstanding! I Liked your perspective.