PDA

View Full Version : Macro / Landscape Photography on a Gimbal Head?

Dave Johnson
06-12-2012, 07:48 AM
Hello folks. A quick question for you. Is it possible to shoot macro, landscape and other 'general photography' from a full gimbal head? I've heard that attaching a Wimberley M-8 Perpendicular Plate and plate to the camera body allows this?

The reason I'm interested is because I'll be buying my first tripod soon, and the thought of having to buy two heads (a ballhead for macro/landscapes and a gimbal for birds) wasn't too appealing. So if a gimbal head will cover all shooting situations, well that will be great for obvious reasons.

Any feedback greatly appreciated,

Regards, Dave Johnson.

Roger Clark
06-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Dave,
I do it all the time. But why bother with a M-8 plate (adds weight); just mount the P5 plate perpendicular to what Wimberly shows, so the plate is parallel to the lens axis. All my cameras have a P5 plate mounted so the long dimension of the plate is parallel with the lens axis.

Roger

Dave Johnson
06-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Thank you Roger for the quick reply. Well that's a weight off! I'll be ordering a P5 plate when I order a Wimberley head. How about attaching a P5 plate to a battery grip. Is that an option? I don't own one at present, just thinking ahead. Thanks again for your time,

Dave.

Roger Clark
06-12-2012, 09:24 AM
How about attaching a P5 plate to a battery grip. Is that an option?

Yes, Dave, it will work just fine.

Roger

Robert DeCandido
06-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Give this Gimbal Head serious consideration - this is a really really good investment for $100 USD:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1105558

I have it and it works great - no difference between this and the expensive brands...save yourself $500 or so. (I use this Gimbal head with a 500 F4 and the 800 F5.6 and a Canon 5D3 - works 100% fine - no problems)

Dave Johnson
06-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks Robert for the link & info. I ordered a Wimberley WH-200 II yesterday though :S3:

Andrew Bunney
06-17-2012, 08:11 AM
I use a Novoflex focusing rail and a kirk L plate (need a bit of filling on the rail) works really well

http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/macro-accessories/focusing-racks/castel/

Dave Johnson
06-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Hi Andrew and thanks for the link, will have a look at that soon. An L plate seems the way to go as a single plate only allows you to shoot in landscape, whereas an L plate allows you to flip the camera to shoot in portrait. I ordered a Wimberley M-8 plate in the end as this gives you some adjustment. Not quite a focusing rail but will certainly get you in focusing distance for macro work.