PDA

View Full Version : Moray Firth - Inverness UK

Simon Wantling
06-12-2012, 06:23 AM
Whilst in Scotland I fancied having a go at some long exposure landscape photography. When I saw this boat I had this shot in mind. I've never attempted landscape photography before, let alone long exposures so any comments and advice would be appreciated. As my first attempt I'm quite pleased with the result, although I would have prefered more water movement, but it was very calm. Also, I think it would have been nice if the boat was a little closer. I decided to leave the foreground hills dark and not lift the shadow areas so they were a contrast against the distant paler hills.

Canon 7D, Canon 17-44mm, ISO100, f22, 4 secs, Cokin 3 stop ND filter - small crop for composition and processed in Lightroom 4 and PS to remove the odd small debris from the water.

Jay Gould
06-12-2012, 05:29 PM
While it does work for me, and you did accomplish your goals, consider these possibilities:

I would open up the very dark hiss just enought to have a hint of detail. The grey line in the center of those hills would probably go to the RHS if opened up just a bit.

I would crop down from the top to more of a pano. There is no information in the top portion; just black. Take it down to where the light clouds start.

Simon Wantling
06-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks very much Jay for the constructive comments. I will look back at the image and try your suggestions.

Thanks

Vivaldo Damilano
06-14-2012, 01:29 PM
B&W conversion helps add good mood, love the contrast ESP in the sky but agree with ligthening shadows slightly and pano crop.

Hazel Grant
06-15-2012, 10:10 PM
yes, pano was one of the first thoughts I had when I saw this.

Nick Palmieri
06-17-2012, 08:49 PM
I agree with the pano crop. I think darkening the sky and opening the shadows would improve this image. I think you captured a nice scene and I like the b&w conversion. TFS

Simon Wantling
06-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the positive and constructive comments. I will try an pano crop and lift the darks a bit and repost.

Simon

Morkel Erasmus
06-19-2012, 03:55 AM
nice mood here Simon! you already received some sound advice above
I would add that it could use a hint more sharpening on the boat and background?
It seems to need a slight CW rotation but I haven't checked the horizon in PS...I thought Jay would pounce on the horizon first but he said nothing, so maybe it's just an illusion portrayed by the other elements? :e3

Roman Kurywczak
06-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Hey Simon,
I'm going ot go against the others here.....and say lighten those upper clouds and keep some of them dark. The long SS is dangerous......mostly to a boat!.......so keep that in mind even if the water is this calm. For my tastes.....lighten the boat (not the mast) and those upper clouds to bring out more detail.....and this works very well. Just some other thoughts for you to explore.

Andrew Aveley
06-24-2012, 10:07 AM
I think Roman has managed to say what I was thinking would be a better bet.Balancing Darks a little more with the lights in this scene will give more appealing finish . Crop and some selective sharpening are more for personal tastes here. Great scene and well executed.