PDA

View Full Version : Honey Collection

John Cooper
04-17-2008, 04:28 AM
One of many shots taken in the backyard for a magazine article on Honey production.

Canon EOS 10D, Canon 100mm macro, ISO 100, Flash, F22, handheld.

David Steele
04-17-2008, 05:27 AM
Nice one John, will certainly enhance the magazine feature.

Roman Kurywczak
04-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Hi John,
No nits here. Nicelt lit and composed,
Roman

Robert O'Toole
04-17-2008, 10:00 AM
The colors, details and comp are very attractive and well done.

I really like these guys, I can spend hours photographing honey bees!

From an editing standpoint, if this image was a client's, the first thing I would do would be to get rid of the distracting dark wedge in the upper left corner then I would darken the hot spots in the foreground. These types of problems are common with using flash with flowers, and are really a problem at all since they take seconds to fix. I might lighten the bee's face and thorax slightly also.

Robert

nzmacro
04-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Excellent shot for what you have in mind. I would follow what Robert says there, but also remember that some publications will do what they want to a shot themselves. So in this case, I would submit the original and also one you have worked on as well. Sometimes, they will take your shot and you wonder at the end of the day if its the same shot you submitted.

For the one that you alter, I would also look at selective sharpening as well. Also play with colour options, brightness and saturation. Just IMO.

All the best and as already said, fine shot :)

Danny.

Arthur Morris
04-19-2008, 02:43 PM
I have been reading a bunch of Robert O'Toole's posts here and he has been doing an exceptional job. Plus, he is darned smart. I do, however, like the darker purple in the ulc here; for me, it sort of balances the darker thorax. I love the careful framing here.

Robert O'Toole
04-19-2008, 06:31 PM
I have been reading a bunch of Robert O'Toole's posts here and he has been doing an exceptional job. Plus, he is darned smart. I do, however, like the darker purple in the ulc here; for me, it sort of balances the darker thorax. I love the careful framing here.

interesting comment about the ULC.

I find that my eye kinda darts over there away from the bee after half a second or so.

I think the different views and opinions on BPN are really valuable. You cant buy all of this good input and advice!

BTW, thanks for the kind comment Artie :)

Robert