PDA

View Full Version : Single Blue Columbine

Bob Miller
06-11-2012, 07:48 PM
I really liked the blue and purple colors in this columbine. Does the oof yellow flower detract too much or does it add depth?
Nikon D3s
1/200 sec at f5.6
ISO 1600
105 mm macro

John Storjohann
06-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Bob, to my eye at least, the OOF yellow flower is a SLIGHT distraction...if it were mine, I'd probably OOF it a little more with a Gaussian blur; I like the depth and contrast the color adds, there just seems to be JUST enough definition to make your eye ask, "Oh...what's over there?". Love the color and detail retained in the primary bloom...nicely done!

Jay Sheinfield
06-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Hi Bob, +1 on the yellow OOF. I like the sharpness, tough to get on these small flowers. Well framed and nicely presented.

Jonathan Ashton
06-13-2012, 06:23 AM
Lovely flower head Bob. The colours in the image look very saturated to me, the greens in particular look rather OTT to me. (WDYT??) Regards the yellow flower, I think I would clone it becasue I don't think it improves the image which is really all about the columbine.

Steve Maxson
06-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi Bob. I like the simplicity of the comp and you have good sharpness where you most need it. If this was mine, I would remove the OOF bud as I don't feel it adds to the image and is bright enough to draw my eye away from the flower. :S3: Overall, this is very nicely done!

Allen Sparks
06-14-2012, 07:13 AM
Hi Bob, nicely done. I like the angle of the flower and the colors look good to me except I would try to tone down the greens on the bottom of the image. I would clone out the oof bud.

Allen

Ken Childs
06-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Bob, this has been covered well....it looks great and following the advice already given will only make it look better! A slight move to the left should have allowed you to keep all the stamen contained withing the white petal. As it is now, the one stray stamen could be easily shortened or removed.