Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Manual mode
1/400"
F16
ISO 200
Canon 430EX: On, Fired
HH
ACR & CS5

This possible Stenacron sp. of Mayfly was attracted to my moth lights so I brought it inside for some light box time. If you know mayflies you'll notice that it's missing one of its tails and one of its front legs. I've noticed quite a few mayflies with missing limbs and this has some of the bug geeks I know wondering what's going on around here so now I'm taking pictures of every one I see. This one was shot back in March.

Cropped, curves, contrast, smart and high-pass sharpening.

Allen Sparks
06-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Nice Ken. You are a master of the light box... Great DOF and details as well. I also like the angle of the subject. Very well done!

Jonathan Ashton
06-11-2012, 04:30 PM
I like this one a lot, I don't know why tend to like and dislike the white background but this works - especially with the black frame.

Jay Sheinfield
06-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Ken, I really like the high key lighting here. It works so well to bring out the subtle detail in the Mayfly. Well framed! Nice work.

kostas nianiopoulos
06-12-2012, 03:40 PM
very nicely done !! , good color and light razor sharp !!

Steve Maxson
06-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Hi Ken. Another very cool light box image! I like the diagonal of the comp with that long "tail" extending toward the corner.

I hope someone can figure out what is causing these deformities.

Ken Childs
06-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

I like this one a lot, I don't know why tend to like and dislike the white background but this works - especially with the black frame.
Jon, this edit was done awhile ago which is why I had the black frame. Since then I've switched to one of the dark forum styles so I've kind of forgotten about adding a black frame to the white BG images. :e3