PDA

View Full Version : Desert Cicada

Kristin Brown
06-10-2012, 07:11 PM
This Desert Cicada gave me quite a bit of time to work on my macro (fortunately)! I, often times, hear them but cannot find them. C&C appreciated! Thank you!

Canon 5D MK III
100mm f 2.8 Macro Lens
ISO 200
f/14
1/250
flash as main light

dankearl
06-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Beautiful, great detail, cool comp and nice light.
I don't comment on these much, so maybe it sounds like a bird critique,
but I don't really know much about Macro.
Is it alright to also say it is a nice perch, because it is?
Very appealing photo.

arash_hazeghi
06-11-2012, 12:47 AM
this is excellent Kristin! the sharpness and detail is super! excellent handing of flash too

Jonathan Ashton
06-11-2012, 05:02 AM
This is a beauty, well focused and exposed, maybe consider removing some of the catch lights in the eye, perhaps leaving the central one and toning it down a little bit.
The cicada is large in the frame but I think it works and I love the curve in the twig. Just for the sake of it it may be worthwhile reducing any crop or adding just a little canvas to see if presentation is improved.

Allen Sparks
06-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Agree with comments above - wonderful image. Also agree with Jonathan on experimenting with crop - adding some room on right may be worth looking at. Well done!

Kristin Brown
06-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Thank you all. I have been lurking around the macro forum to see what works for situations like this. I will take a look at a re-crop, as I had more canvas to work with. Thank you so much for your comments. Kristin

Steve Maxson
06-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Hi Kristin and welcome to the Macro forum! This is a strong first image here! You have good overall sharpness, the lighting is well handled, and I like the diagonal of the perch, the clean background, and the overall comp (though it wouldn't hurt to experiment with some alternate crops). I would agree with cloning two of the three catchlights and you might also consider cloning some of the flash-generated spectral highlights on the wings. This is very well done and I hope to see more of your macro work!

kostas nianiopoulos
06-12-2012, 03:38 PM
nice diagonial profile image , great color and bg !!

Ken Childs
06-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Kristin, this capture is excellent! This flash was handled really well and I like the tight crop. As mentioned above, all that's needed is a little cloning work on the flash highlights on the wings and eye to take this one to the top! Very well done! :cheers: