PDA

View Full Version : Least Sandpiper Bathing Fun!

Daniel Cadieux
06-10-2012, 01:54 PM
I recently posted a couple of "after bath" wingflaps, but here is the fun that leads up to those wingflaps! Lots of neat poses and splashing action to be had :-)

Canon 7D + 100-400L @400mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/2500s., f/6.3, ISO 400, natural light, handheld, small crop for composition, a few of the brightest drops toned down. I'm thinking of removing the drop touching the bill, on the fence about that one.

dankearl
06-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Nice exposure and water drops.
I think maybe just sharpening the drop on the bill would look fine, as is, the bill looks a little smudged.

Davidwilliams
06-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Lovely shot and I can see your concerns re the drop by the beak, but I am in the camp of, what you shot is what you got, think the eye contact is spot on.

PhilCook
06-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Worked a bit of magic on this one I feel, lovely colors, refreshing sharp with the water drop spray...hmmmm....the drop on the beak....not biggie imo, but yes I think remove it

Satish Ranadive
06-11-2012, 02:11 AM
Very sweet image with nice composition and lovely colors.Loved the wingflaps and waterdroplets.

Jonathan Ashton
06-11-2012, 04:24 AM
Nice and sharp good exposure, I personally would not consider removing the drop of water from the bill tip any more than any other drops.

Arthur Morris
06-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Two Quick Masks--one from the right, one from the left, each with Layer Masks.... And a few whacks with the spot healing brush. My take is that before and after are both images of a bathing adult Least Sandpiper. Had the offending drop not caused so much distortion in the bill, I would likely have left it. I am fine with folks in the you got what you shot camp. To each their own :).

The basics of Quick Masking are detailed in our Digital Basics file; click here (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252).

ps: Love the image with the perfect head angle and the killer pose with that nice collection of diagonal lines.

Daniel Cadieux
06-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys. Artie, as you probably read in my description I was contemplating removing that particualr drop...your repost confirms that I should have stuck with my instinct and gone ahead with the removal :S3:....

Stu Bowie
06-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Hi Dan, I like how the bathing behaviour has brought out the ruffled feathers, and in turn has shown off the colours nicely. Always good to see flying droplets, although I would have left the one on the end of the bill. :w3

Arthur Morris
06-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks guys. Artie, as you probably read in my description I was contemplating removing that particualr drop...your repost confirms that I should have stuck with my instinct and gone ahead with the removal :S3:....

Did and you are most welcome.