Taken in my Phoenix garden a while back

Canon 7D
Canon 100/2.8
1/250 sec f/13 ISO 500 HH

Crop for composition and sharpening in CS5

Canon 430EX + Homemade diffuser on-camera

PhilCook
06-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Nicely composed and the detail in the tiny filaments on the wing edges stand out well, the extra fine detail is brilliant

Allen Sparks
06-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Hi Ian, wonderful sharpness and detail in both the head and wings. BG is great and gives nice contrast with the butterfly. Very well done.

Jonathan Ashton
06-11-2012, 04:54 AM
Nicely detailed, how much of a crop is this? I think a landscape crop would work well. Did you use manual mode the reason I ask is the background appears to be quite dark, it is suitably muted but for me it seems a little heavy and contrasting. I know hand holding is more convenient but I would suggest you may wish to consider a monopod or tripod and AV mode, this way your backgrounds would be similarly illuminated to the subject.

Ian Cassell
06-11-2012, 06:12 AM
Thanks. Jonathan, this is manual mode. Not much crop here. The BG is a rather ugly wall in my backyard -- I have a couple where it is illuminated more, but they don't look very nice.

Steve Maxson
06-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Hi Ian. Excellent detail, good lighting with your diffuser, and I like the diagonal pose. Very well done!

kostas nianiopoulos
06-12-2012, 03:35 PM
sweet light , nice detail , good bg as well

Ken Childs
06-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Ian, you did a great job with the flash on this one....obviously your diffuser is doing the job! I like the sharpness of the 'fly (Ceraunus Blue) and the comp looks good. A little edge and sharpening work on the front antennal club could easily bring it into focus. If this were mine, I'd clone off the tip of the nose so it isn't merging with the antenna and would consider removing the bit of flower at the bottom center. Overall it's a really good one and a few minor tweaks can only make it better.