PDA

View Full Version : Blue-tailed Damselfly Ischnura elegans

Jonathan Ashton
06-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Tripod mongoose head, Canon 50D canon 180mm macro & polariser, ISO 400 -0.3 1/25 sec f16
Another shot taken from my garden pond. You will notice the female has the pink coloured thorax, this can vary partly with age and from one population to another from shades of red through to blue/purple. I will be unable to get more insects shots for the next 5-6 days - rain rain rain and cold!
All C & C welcome.

Stu Bowie
06-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Hi Jon, I like the diagonal stem, and Im glad Im not a dragonfly. :w3 Great to see the difference in colours of the two sexes. Maybe a touch of NR needed on the BG.

We are having our first spell of really cold winter weather. Watched the diamond jubilee and glad I didnt stand in that rain waiting for the queen to pass by. :wave:

Jonathan Ashton
06-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Hi Stu thanks for taking a look, I did not apply any noise reduction to the background, I thought it looked ok, but I will try a little to see if there is an improvement. I watched the Jubilee concert on the TV and some of the river boat procession.

Bob Miller
06-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Hi Jon....Bg looks fine on my monitor.Nice composition....the little flower breaking up the stem adds interest! Nice work!

Steve Maxson
06-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Hi Jonathan. Another fine behavioral shot! Nice even light and well composed. The background seems OK on my monitor. This is very well done!

Ken Childs
06-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Hey, Jon, This one looks great! BG looks good on this end, too. They only change I would make would be to evict the brown spot near the top of the stem.

Jonathan Ashton
06-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks to all for your C&C.

Hazel Grant
06-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Jonathan, just a quick question. I'm starting to work on macro and I'm just wondering how far away you were when you shot this. Is this a full or cropped version?

Jonathan Ashton
06-16-2012, 04:27 AM
Jonathan, just a quick question. I'm starting to work on macro and I'm just wondering how far away you were when you shot this. Is this a full or cropped version?
Hazel I have mislaid the raw file but the other similar one I posted was 1.1m distance to subject this is with a 180mm lens. The image is not cropped.