PDA

View Full Version : Must be the Camera (for Andreas)

Ken Watkins
06-07-2012, 03:07 AM
Hopefully to prove that Andreas's Baboon was not a fluke from the MkIIn, here is a Polar Bear taken with the same body, looks quite good to me.

This was taken from a rather bouncy Zodiac, on a rather dull day!

EOS 1D MkIIn

300mm F4 ( a lot easier for hand-holding)

ISO 800, F7.1, 1/500

Looks quite good as a print as well

Andreas Liedmann
06-07-2012, 04:32 AM
Hi Ken,
really nice shot with a good camera by that time.I do not know if there is a difference in sensor,but the images so called "problematic" were taken with the MK II not the MK IIn.But i think i already sorted out the problems that i had with the images .These problems have been introduced by myself in terms of my ability in photography in general,and in post processing in specialty.It is all the time a learning curve,but i am on the right way i think.

Back to this image,exposure ,comp,contrast ,detail all work well.Biut i would reduce the blues in the rocks,too colorful for my taste.when i have been on and around Svalbard,i would have been more than happy to get such an close encounter with one of these guys.I saw only 4 of them in very far distance.

Thanks for posting.
Cheers Andreas

Ken Watkins
06-07-2012, 04:49 AM
Andreas,

Thanks for your comment, the rocks really are that slate blue colour.

There were very few changes between the original version and the N the major being the dramatic increase in size of the preview screen, the sensor remained the same only 8.19 million pixels!! But they were very good pixels:w3

Here is a link to an article published detailing the "differences" between the models

http://www.all-things-photography.com/canon-eos-1d-mkii-n.html

Tom Graham
06-07-2012, 01:26 PM
I like it. Interesting pose of the bear, shows him using the rocks, more than the usual side/front view. The huge rocks make interesting "stage".
Considering the light and color of the bear I'd say the rock color is pretty much as you say. If the rocks were made gray, the bear would go very yellow.
Bet it is a nice print.
Tom

Morkel Erasmus
06-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Love the pose here, Ken. The bear pops nicely from the rocks...why was the eye closed?
Whites handled very well.

Rachel Hollander
06-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Ken - looks good and the bear looks like a big one. I too like the pose and the surroundings.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
06-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Tom,
Your assessment of the colour of the rocks is totally correct as far as my memory goes, only another 15 months till our return.

Morkel,
The eyes of polar bears are very small and from the side are even smaller. The eye is actually open but not very visible.

Rachel,

This is actually a cheeky youngster, who was orphaned, but judging by here feisty nature would hopefully have survived

Steve Canuel
06-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Another nice one Ken. Like the pose, the rocks, and the detail in the fur.

Sid Garige
06-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Very very nice image Ken. Lot of details and interesting background. Looks like you did well in Arctic.

John Ippolito
06-10-2012, 03:28 PM
I like this one very much, Ken. Excellent pose on the rocks, and the details are quite nice all around. Wonderful.

Ken Watkins
06-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Steve C, Sid and John,
Thanks very much for your comments, seems that a lot of people like the output from a MkIIn :S3:

Even if the light is not exactly conducive:w3