PDA

View Full Version : Getting a better view

Roman Kurywczak
06-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Been away for a while as life has been just too busy! Hopefully things have calmed down enough so I can stop by more often. Finally getting a chance to work on some images from my August Tanzania tour. This female was collared but you couldn't tell from this angle. I think she went up the tree to get a better view of that nights dinner! Photographed as the sun was low.

Canon 1D Mark 3 with the Sigma 300-800 at 610mm resing on bean bag at f/5.6 for 1/400 sec. and ISO 800.

Grace Scalzo
06-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Lovely light, the way she's hanging on the tree is pretty funny, with the back legs dangling. Belly looks full. I like her tree and the way that it frames her. Would prefer to see both ears, but I realize they don't perform on command.

Ken Watkins
06-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Roman,

Wonderful light here, and a great attentive pose, pity about the ear.

That's Wildlife for you:w3

I might consider taking a little from LHS so that the lioness is not so central

Riaan Marais
06-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Hi Roman, nice light in the eyes, good image. Where have you been in Tanzania, we are off to Tsavo West - Kenya, then Lake Natron for flamingos and the Lake Eyasi via Ngorogoro. Riaan

Andreas Liedmann
06-07-2012, 04:38 AM
Hi Roman,
love the colors ,light,comp in here.The tree where the lioness is sitting is in really interesting shape.I would suggest ,coming with a lot of work,to clone out all the fine branches on LHS.Then it would be perfect!!!! at least from here.Second i like to see more a tad of sharpness on the lion.

Cheers Andreas

gail bisson
06-07-2012, 04:42 AM
This is lovely! Great light, direct gaze and nicely framed in the fork of tree.
Gail

Rachel Hollander
06-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Roman - great pose with legs and tail hanging down, beautiful light and burning stare. I like where you chose to cut the tree at the base of the Y.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
06-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Good to see you in this neck of the woods again, Roman :tinysmile_shy_t:
I love the light here, not to mention a friggin' lion in a friggin' tree :Whoa!:
I too pity the ear, and might sharpen the lioness a hint more (I always find that in scenes like this the tree bark looks a tad sharper by its nature, so we need to compensate for that).

Steve Canuel
06-08-2012, 09:27 PM
That does not look comfortable! Great light and I like how the trunk frames the lioness.

Robert vanMierop
06-09-2012, 09:40 AM
'Doubt a male lion would sit like that.:) Amazing shot, good eye contact with a facial expression that says she's not too concerned about photographers. And perfect light for the moment.

Steve Kaluski
06-10-2012, 04:00 AM
Hey Roman, nice to see you posting again, it's been too long. :S3:

I like the stance in the Y of the tree and the head/face looking to camera, although the position doesn't look that comfortable. The light has give a nice warm glow to the image, but also feel the partial exclusion of the head is a little annoying. I would try to extract a bit more detail & definition from the lioness just to give more form and depth to the subject. No sure if you added any sharpening to the tree, but if you have, then would perhaps ease off a fraction as per Morkels observation. With the BKG so smooth and defused, the tree I find stands out more than the subject.

TFS
Steve :wave: