PDA

View Full Version : Predaceous Diving Beetle

Steve Maxson
06-06-2012, 11:03 AM
This is what the lava from my previous post turns into after pupating in the ground near the shoreline of the pond where it lived. The adults of this species of Predaceous Diving Beetle (Dytiscus sp.) are about 40 mm long and like the larvae are very predatory. I used to feed this one earthworms and they disappeared quickly! This image was taken last summer in my 2-gallon aquarium setup. 5D II, 100 mm macro, 1/100, f/16, ISO 125, MT24-EX macro twin flash (diffused), tripod. As usual, I cleaned up tiny bits of debris in the water that were illuminated by the flash. I used the darken/lighten center filter in NIK Color Efex Pro 4 to brighten the face of the beetle and apply a subtle vignette. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

bhavya joshi
06-08-2012, 01:11 AM
This is Excellent Captured.. Love your Aquarium Stuff.. Great Details :5

Carel v/d Sanden
06-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Hi Steve
Admiration every time I look at the pictures in your water tank are made.
I've already tried but it does not happen to me yet.
Very nice pictures of the underwater insects.
Well done.

Bewerkingen ongedaan maken

Jonathan Ashton
06-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Superb image, just brilliant! Terrific details, an excellent piece of work. The only potentially negative thing I would suggest is that the image is so clean, "too clean" for a natural setting but wow you have captured an exceptional image.

Ken Childs
06-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Steve, I should just "clone" my replies from your previous aquarium posts. How many ways are there to say "awesome"? :bg3:

Steve Maxson
06-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind remarks! :S3:

Bob Allen
06-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Great image! I love the depth of field and resulting sharpness from scutellum to front of head.