PDA

View Full Version : The Sands of Time

Roman Kurywczak
06-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Been very busy so haven't been in the forums much but decided to drop in here as I have been in Avian and Macro so came in for a visit. From my March tour to Arches/Canyonlands and the slots.....which is probably the 20th time I have been to the area. Even got a bit of snow on my last day there. Pushing up next years schedule to try and get even more snow opportunities. As usual, I try to look for some different things when I go there. Stopped by a local store to pick up a bucket to scoop up some sand in the slots and make a flowing sand fall. Got these triplets during one of the attempts.
Canon 1D Mark 3 with the 17-40mm lens at 17mm for 5 seconds at f/16 and ISO 800 (crowds). Tripod mounted w/ Graf Studioball head and buuble level in HS. Tweaked in CS5 almost full frame. Saved at 83 Quality to fit.

Dave Mills
06-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Hi Roman, nicely composed,good detail,sharp and well handled technically.The pouring sand is a first view for me and it adds another area of interest. Well done!!

Jerry van Dijk
06-07-2012, 02:44 AM
This is awesome, Roman! Very creative thinking. Composition is also very strong with the sand patch near the ROT hotspot and balanced by an outcrop of rock in the UR corner. The rocks add a nice flow to the image.
I'm not familiar with the area and see the most gorgeous pictures on the net. I always wonder whether these are natural colors, or tweaked considerably in PP.

Roman Kurywczak
06-07-2012, 09:30 AM
This is awesome, Roman! Very creative thinking. Composition is also very strong with the sand patch near the ROT hotspot and balanced by an outcrop of rock in the UR corner. The rocks add a nice flow to the image.
I'm not familiar with the area and see the most gorgeous pictures on the net. I always wonder whether these are natural colors, or tweaked considerably in PP.
Hey Jerry,
The long exposures make this area glow.....so pretty close to normal for this area. I did actually pull back a touch on the reds! Thanks for the kind words too!

Jerry van Dijk
06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
That must be magical! Thanks for sharing and for taking the time to satisfy my curiosity!

Maureen Allen
06-07-2012, 01:29 PM
This is beautiful, Roman. Love the falling sand, the colors, the textures, everything about the image!

Morkel Erasmus
06-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Nice to see you back for a "drop-in" here Roman! :S3:
I love this. The tones and comp are really outstanding, and good job on the sand falls...as Ansel said - "you don't take a good shot, you make it" :w3 (or something like that)
Very moody and love the shades of red.

Hilary Hann
06-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Lovely additional touch with the sand. Beautiful glow to the image.

Andrew Merwin
06-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Truly excellent Roman. The sand fall is very creative and takes the scene to that special level. TFS.

Charissa
06-08-2012, 02:14 AM
Brilliant shot. Tonal ranges, colors and detail superb.

Vivaldo Damilano
06-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Lovely Roman, love the pouring sand and definitely adds extra interest to this image.

Robert Amoruso
06-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Yes this is different Roman. I really like the flowing sand - much like an hour glass. The arching curves in the sandstone make for a great leading line from top to bottom of image thereby enhancing the flowing sand's direction.

PhilCook
06-09-2012, 04:26 AM
Thought invoking photograhy, superb !

Valerio Tarone
06-09-2012, 05:24 AM
Roman hi
I had been loooking ,studying the lines and curves of the composition: lovely. The falling sand add a bit more.

Rachel Hollander
06-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Roman - really different than what we usually see from the slot canyons. Incredible image, well thought out and executed.

TFS,
Rachel

Judy Howle
06-10-2012, 04:13 PM
I haven't seen any shots from the canyon before with such deep, rich colors. The composition is wonderful and the pouring sand was a masterful addition. Kudos for a very creative and well-executed image!

Andrew McLachlan
06-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Hey Roman, very nice composition! The cascading sand takes this one up a notch. One of the nicest images I have seen from this location.

Ron Bernstein
06-22-2012, 06:39 AM
How creative to have pre-thought this comp to the point of buying a bucket, Roman! B and H should start carrying them - maybe a Roman Bucket autograph model?:eek3:
My feeling in viewing this image is that the only thing that bothers me is that it appears oversaturated. I read that you actually had to hold back the reds;
I'm just talking about the feeling I get. I presume this was Page, Az., and anyone who hasn't been should put it on their bucket list!

Andrew Aveley
06-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Inspiration image ................eish man , top drawer :)