PDA

View Full Version : Jailbird! Baby roseate spoonbill.

gail bisson
06-04-2012, 04:53 PM
I like the shadows across the face. It looks like he is behind bars. Actually, he was struggling to balance on the branch.
Canon 1D MK IV
F 4.0 500mm
SS 1/1600
ISO 400
F 6.3
Cloned out 2 raggedy branches.
Cropped from right and bottom by 20%
Comments and critiques always learned from and appreciated with thanks,
Gail

Alan Murphy
06-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Great comp and wing stretch. The shadows don't work for me however as I find them distracting.

dankearl
06-04-2012, 07:04 PM
I like the shadows, something different, and I like the pink color in the shadows.
I think one more round of NR would smooth the BG out a little more.
The BG color goes great with the bird.

Randy Stout
06-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Gail:

Sharp, well exposed, like the curves of the wings and perch.

The shadows are interesting, and the fact the eye is in the light helps. Ultimately, I would prefer with out, but still makes for a somewhat different take on a well known subject.

Cheers

Randy

Robert vanMierop
06-04-2012, 10:09 PM
The brightness of top of the far wing (Bird right?) was more distracting to me than the shadow bars. They're actually a nice touch. I like this shot. Where was it taken?

PhilCook
06-05-2012, 04:28 AM
Keep the shadows I say, I always enjoy something a little away from the " norm " and pleasing that the eye is in the light, a different story if it was caught in the darker part....lovely pose too

gail bisson
06-05-2012, 06:48 AM
The brightness of top of the far wing (Bird right?) was more distracting to me than the shadow bars. They're actually a nice touch. I like this shot. Where was it taken?
This was taken at Alafia Banks with James Shadle aboard his boat the Hooptie Deux. And yes, that is the bird's far wing,
Gail

Stu Bowie
06-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Hi Gail, overall nice and sharp, and Im fine with the shadows, even more so that the eye is between them. Ive always enjoyed the pinks of these spoonies, more colourful than ours. You say you have cropped up from the bottom, I would like you put some back there. :w3 Im finding the feet a touch tight.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
06-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Gail, I love the perch and the pose. I don't much mind the shadows with the clear view of the eye as Randy stated. I find the brightness just little strong though

Daniel Cadieux
06-05-2012, 10:00 AM
That branch is a nice addition to Alafia Banks, and it is proving popular with the local spoonies!! Interesting image, and those shadow streaks make it unique...I have to admit I am on the fence about them though.