PDA

View Full Version : Western Tanager 2

Steve Large
06-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Hi All,
Here is another installment in the series of my tanager images. Hoping that this one appears sharper than the last one. I am finding that a lot of the images I see on this forum are oversharp to my eyes so it could be down to personal preference. If you are running Internet Explorer it will automatically soften your images slightly unless you adjust it not to. Images viewed in my monitor during processing in Photoshop etc. however appear quite sharp.

This picture taken at a local marsh here in Nanaimo B.C. The bird had a bit different plumage from the normal tanager in that the areas that were normally black had more yellow and places that were yellow on the back had traces of black in them.

Stats: Canon 1D Mark4, 500mm + 1.4X, F/8, 1/160, ISO-800, +1.7 step

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Richard Unsworth
06-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Tack sharp and not over done at all

Fabulous Tanager , love the BG , bird color; great detail in the yellow!
tfs
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

gail bisson
06-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Really nice HA. Good diagonal perch.
It is funny though that I find him a tad oversharpened!!I think this a personal preference.
Nice BG. Excellent details in the yellows.
Gail

Jim Crosswell
06-04-2012, 04:00 PM
I like the colours, pose, exposure and BG. Well done Steve!

Grace Scalzo
06-04-2012, 04:06 PM
I agree with Gail on the sharpening, esp the tail and the breast.

Alan Murphy
06-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Great detail that is sharp. A bit big in the frame for me.

dankearl
06-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Sharp as a tack and the perch is nice.
I also think a bit looser crop would look nice.

Steve Large
06-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Hi Everyone,
Thanks very much for all of you comments. Hard to know when to stop on the sharpening for sure. Especially with my new camera body having so much less noise than my old one it can be easy to get carried away or not use enough. Perhaps a compromise between soft and sharp in certain parts of the birds body on this one. You be the judge. At any rate, my tanager is very cooperative at the moment down at the local swamp so it gives me oportunity to experiment. Hopefullly I won't bore any of you with too many shots of this guy. Just can't seem to get enough of him.

Steve

Grace Scalzo
06-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Keep posting this wonderful bird, Steve. I am far from bored !!!

Satish Ranadive
06-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Extremely beautiful image of handsome and colorful bird. Loved the elegant pose , colors and sharpness on bird.

Daniel Cadieux
06-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Super colours, great head turn. Sharp, yes, and big in the frame for me too. I won't get bored either if you keep posting them...I'll just keep hoping to see one of them some day!!:S3: